ADEN PORT

Two stamps were issued by Yemen People’s Democratic Republic in 1988 for the 100th anniversary of Aden Port. The 75f stamp shows dhows and cargo vessels in the old port in 1888, while the 500f stamp shows us the new port of Aden with diverse cargo vessels.

The Port of Aden rests on an ancient natural harbour in the crater of an extinct volcano that forms the peninsula that protects the harbour. Aden was first mentioned in historical records in the Old Testament Book of Ezekiel as a trading partner with Tyre. The harbour was first used between the 5th and 7th Centuries B.C. by the Kingdom of Awsan.
Being about the same distance from Mumbai (Bombay) and Zanzibar, the ancient Port of Aden was a way-station for sea-going vessels and people. They stopped there to get supplies, particularly fresh water.
Arab historians describe the first fortifications in the Port of Aden to Beni Zuree'a who built the structures to protect the village from its enemies and to control the movement of goods in the area in order to prevent smuggling. The original fortifications were rebuilt in 1175 AD.
The Port of Aden is an ancient seaport. Marco Polo and Ibn Battutu visited the port in the 11th and 12th Centuries. The Chinese Emperor from the Ming Dynasty sent an envoy with gifts to the King of Aden in 1421.
In the 19th Century, it was an important ship fuelling port for steamers. After the Suez Canal opened, the Port of Aden became one of the busiest ship-bunkering, duty-free shopping, and trading ports in the world.
In 1838, the British took the Port of Aden and over 19 thousand hectares in the state of Lahej from Sultan Muhsin bin Fadl. In 1839, the British East India Company and Royal Marines occupied the territory to stop attacks by pirates who were assailing British ships going to India. The British also used the Port of Aden as a station for replenishing coal and boiler water. The British held the Port of Aden until 1967.
Until 1937, the Port of Aden was considered part of British India and was called the Aden Settlement. In 1937, the settlement was separated from India, becoming the British Crown Colony of Aden. The Port of Aden was also a distribution point for mail between British colonies. After the British lost the Suez Canal in 1956, the Port of Aden became the main British base for the region.
Under British rule, the Port of Aden was a tanker port that served British Petroleum Aden and offered amenities to British crews and refinery workers. Thousands of skilled workers and labourers were imported to build and operate the refinery. Much of the housing that was created for the workers is home to wealthy locals today. The British also housed troops in the Port of Aden to protect the refinery.
Facing pressure from the Soviet Union-backed communists in North Yemen, the British tried to prepare the different states under their control for independence. The Port of Aden colony was made part of the Federation of Arab Emirates of the South in 1963 under opposition from the North Yemen communists who claimed the city and region. Later, the region was renamed the Federation of South Arabia (FSA).
In 1963, resistance to British rule began with the Aden Emergency, a grenade attack on the British High Commissioner by the communist National Liberation Front (NLF). A state of emergency was declared in response. While the British announced their intention to make the FSA independent by 1968, they would leave British military units in the Port of Aden. Tensions continued to rise.
Riots broke out in the Port of Aden in 1967 between the NLF and the rival Front for the Liberation of Occupied South Yemen. Fighting continued for several weeks despite British intervention. Both sides attacked British troops throughout the conflict, and an airplane was destroyed mid-air with no survivors. The British left the area in late 1967, and the NLF was in control.
In 1970, the Port of Aden became the capital of the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen. British Petroleum turned the oil refinery and tanker port in the Port of Aden over to the Yemeni government in 1977.
When the Suez Canal was closed in the 1970s, traffic through the Port of Aden declined. New quays were built in the 1980s to improve its competitive position and meet the demands of the changing marine trade industry. By the end of the 1980s, the Port of Aden had capacity to handle all types of dry cargo and modern containers.
When north and south Yemen were united in 1990, the Port of Aden became the capital of the Aden Governate but not of the nation. Since the 1990s, ports in Yemen are undergoing rapid privatization, increased investment, and growing manufacturing output. In 1998/99, the Port of Aden reached an all-time record for containerized cargo, with over 100 thousand TEUs passing through the port.
In 1992, the first recorded attack by Al Qaeda occurred with the bombing of the Gold Mohur Hotel in the Port of Aden. For a short time in 1994, the Port of Aden was the center of the secessionist Democratic Republic of Yemen. In 2000, the Port of Aden was the site of an Al Qaeda attempt to bomb the USS THE SULLIVANS, but the attacking boat sank and the plan was aborted. Later that year, the bombing of the USS COLE succeeded.

http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/re ... en_214.php
Yemen `People’s Democratic Republic 1988 75/500f sg408/09, scott?

ARGO replica 1984

The epic poem Argonautica, first written down by Apollonius of Rhodes in Alexandria in the late 3rd century BC, became the basis for Tim Severin's next expedition. He began his research into ancient Greek ships and the details of the text in 1981. Master shipwright Vasilis Delimitros of Spetses, Greece hand built a 54-foot (16.5 m) x 2.74 x 0.91m. (draught) replica of a Bronze Age galley based on a detailed scale model of the ARGO. Not a nail was used. The galley was rowed by 20 rowers, and when sufficient wind sailed, one mast, square sail.

In 1984, with twenty volunteer oarsmen, Severin rowed and sailed from northern Greece through the Dardanelles, crossed the Marmara Sea, and passed through the Straits of Bosphorus to the Black Sea, reaching the Phasis delta in then-Soviet Georgia—a voyage of 1,500 miles (2,400 km). Along the way they identified many of the landmarks visited by Jason and his Argonauts, and found a likely explanation for the legend of the Golden Fleece. Severin recounted the expedition in The Jason Voyage (1985).
The fate of the replica ARGO I can’t find.

Source: Wikipedia
Suriname 2018 A class mail sg?, scott?

KIM G Inter Island cargo vessel.

KIM G an Inter Island cargo vessel under construction in Montserrat, have not any information on the vessel.

Montserrat 1989 $1.50 sg 795, scott 719. And $1.50 + $ 2.50 sg 812, scott?

TANKER (stylized)

Angola issued in 1990 two stamps for the 10th Anniversary of SADCC, the 9k stamp depict an oil tanker which is loading oil from an oil platform in sea. The drawing of the tanker is stylized.

Of the platform and tanker I have not any information. Wikipedia gives for SADC or SADCC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_ ... _Community

Angola 1990 9k sg921, scott 776.

Thames Sailing Barges

Thames Sailing barge handy, seaworthy vessel that carried bulk cargoes in the shoal waters of the Thames Estuary area. Evolved in hull design and rigging from the 16th century, but by the mid-19th century, had become relatively standardized with sub-types designed for special cargoes and local conditions. Working vessels extinct since the 1950s, but some have been restored as pleasure and charter vessels. Majority constructed of wood, although some larger barges were of iron (the iron pots), Flat bottom; chines softened toward the ends; no keel but strong keelson; wall-sided, narrowing forward and aft to about one-third the extreme width; sharp, vertical stem (see also swim-headed barge); transom stern; very low freeboard. Undecked until the early 19th century; then decked with the main hatch abaft the mast; a 2nd hatch forward, both leading to the single hold; aft cabin with raised roof for skipper; crew accommodated in forepeak; low bulwarks. Large, broad leeboards with block and chain tackle falls that led to steersman; tiller until 1800s, then wheel; large, strong rudder. Primary rig was a sprit mainsail with a heavy sprit (spritsail barge);sail brailed to mast and worked by a winch; sprit might serve as a cargo boom. Some set a large square sail forward of the mainmast. Short mainmast stepped in tabernacle, about one-third from the stem. Working topsail to a long topmast, remained aloft(the topsail barge); one with no topsail was called a stumpy barge. A small mizzenmast, also in a tabernacle, was stepped just aft; set a boomed spritsail with its sheet rove through a block on the rudder to aid in heading up into the wind; earlier tiller-operated vessels stepped the mizzenmast against the rudderhead. Those with a boomed, standing gaff mizzen and somewhat smaller mainsail were called mulies, mulie barges, or overland barges; mast forward of the wheel. Two headsails, 3 if the vessel carried a bowsprit; the staysail barge hed no bowsprit. Except for the jib and fore topmast staysail, sails were tanned russet, black, or yellow after the 1st year. One type, the boomy, was gaffrigged. Most had a crew of 2; largest might use 4.Reported lengths 12-31m; e.g., length 24m, beam 5.7m, molded depth 2m; shallow draft. The design stamp is made after painting of William Lionel Wyllie:” Thames Sailing Barges” . Look at his other picture.

Uganda 1998; 3000s;Ms. Source: A Dictionary of the world’s Watercraft from Aak to Zumbra.

BREMEN or EUROPA

Cuba issued in 1990 a set of stamps for the Dia de la Cosmonautica of which the 2c shows us a passenger ship a rocket and an airmail letter.
When passenger ship owners in the early thirties trying finding quicker ways to deliver the mail, the idea came up to launch a plane from a catapult fitted on the vessel, the German cargo vessel SCHWABENLAND was the first vessel fitted out as so. More is given on: http://www.nnapprentice.com/alumni/lett ... ia_Sea.pdf

The vessel depict on the stamp is one of the first vessels fitted out this way but she is not the cargo vessel SCHWABENLAND, the other four passenger ships were the LEVIATHAN, ILE DE FRANCE, BREMEN and EUROPA . The first two have a complete different profile, BREMEN see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8467&p=8806#p8806 and EUROPA see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7738 one of the last two is depict on the stamp, which is depict is not clear she were sisterships.

Cuba 1990 2c sg 3517, scott 3208.

NEW ZEALAND PORTS

The 150th celebrations of three cities and a famous small town coincided with the sesquicentennial year of New Zealand. The four subjects of these stamps could hardly offer greater contrast in terms of size and life styles.

At one end of the scale is Auckland, easily New Zealand's largest population centre. One in three New Zealanders lives in the Auckland province, the northern third of the North Island.
Akaroa, at the other extreme, is a tiny South Island settlement with a permanent population of fewer than 1,000. It nestles on the eastern shore of Akaroa Harbour on Banks Peninsula.
In between Auckland and Akaroa, in location, population and way of life, are Wanganui and Wellington, both in the southern North Island. Wanganui is a country centre, serving a stable rural area. Wellington is distinctive as the nation's capital and clings to the steep hills ringing a magnificent harbour.
A fact of history is what brings Auckland, Akaroa, Wanganui and Wellington together in this issue. All four date their European founding to 1840, the year of the Treaty of Waitangi and the year that systematic immigration began. They were among the first locations settled by Europeans and hence New Zealand Post issued the 1990 Scenic Issue with these places in mind.
By late 1840, officials, traders and workmen had flocked to the site of Auckland to help build the town, and in 1842 the first immigrant ships from Britain arrived. Many ethnic groups settled in Auckland. English, Danes, Yugoslavs, Dutch and, in a second migratory wave, the Polynesians from the islands of the Pacific. Each added their own cultures. Today it could be regarded as the most cosmopolitan city in New Zealand boasting the country's largest city and home to over one quarter of the entire country's population.

Miniature Sheet - $2.30
This sheet was issued in support of the 'New Zealand 1990' World Stamp Exhibition and incorporated the $1.80 'Auckland' stamp.
A surcharge of 50 cents for each sheet sold will be passed on to the Executuve Committe "New Zealand 1990" in support of their World Philatelic exhibition to be held in Auckland in 1990
In the background of the sheet design is Rangitoto Island the most noble of the series of extinct volcanoes surrounding Auckland. It stands on guard over the harbour entrance. Auckland is essentially an aquatic playground with everything from wild ocean surfing beaches to tranquil inner harbour coves. The hundreds of yachts constantly on the water give the Queen City its name - City of Sails.

$0.80c Akaroa: Captain Jean Langlois, a French whaler from Havre, first ailed into Akaroa Harbour in 1838. He was most favourably impressed with what he saw and began negotiations with the Maori to purchase a portion of the peninsula. This was the beginning of the French attempt to establish a colony in the area, only to discover that British sovereignty had been declared over the whole of the South Island

$1 Wanganui: the early days, the fertile banks of the Wanganui river supported many Maori who were living in fortified pa and villages. One of the first Europeans to visit the area, John Rowe, was a whaler and dealer in preserved Maori heads. His visit in 1831 resulted in the loss of his own head - which was later dried and offered for sale.

$.1.50 Wellington: In January 1840, the New Zealand Company's ship CUBA sailed into Wellington Harbour, followed shortly after by AURORA carrying the first settlers. Then came the ORIENTAL and the ROXBURGH and, 340 more ships were to arrive in the next three years. The Maori were astonished at the numbers of new arrivals, wondering if the whole population of England was being transported.

$1.80 AUCKLAND: On the isthmus between the Waitemata and Manukau Harbours lies Auckland. In earlier times Auckland was the site of a heavily fortified pa, kumara fields, and numerous small Maori villages. The site of the present day city was bought from the Ngati Whatua tribe by Captain William Hobson, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand, who designated it as a single administrative area and later the country's capital.

Watercraft Philately has identified the two yachts on the $1.80 and miniature sheet as the HOBBIE 16 catamaran viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16140 and LASER sailing dinghy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11033 .

https://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/new-zealand/1990/scenic
New Zealand 1990 80c /$1.80 sg1554/57, scott 993/996, sgMS?, scott996a
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Ship Stamps Collection

The full index of our ship stamp archive
  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
PreviousNext

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 52 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum