TASHKENT destroyer 1939

Built as a destroyer by Odero-Terni-Orlando, Leghorn, Italy for the Russian Navy.
11 January 1937 laid down.
21 November 1937 launched as the TASHKENT the lead ship of her class.
Displacement 2,939 ton standard and 3,300 ton full load. Dim. 139.7 x 13.7 x 3.7m. (draught).
Powered by two geared Belluzzo steam turbines, 110,000 shp, twin shafts, speed 42.7 knots.
Range by 20 knots, 5.030 mile.
She was delivered without armament, after arrival in Russia she got 3 – 130mm guns, 1 – 76mm gun. 40 37mm AA guns, 6 – 12.7mm MG. 3- triple 533 torpedo tubes and 76 mines and 24 depth charges.
Crew 250
February 1939 completed.
06 May 1939 delivered at Odesa to the Russian Navy.

TASHKENT was the lead ship of her class (Project 20) of destroyer leaders. Because Russian design experience had atrophied in the years since the Russian Revolution of 1917, the ship was built in Italy for the Soviet Navy just before World War II. Three other ships of the class were ordered from Soviet shipyards, but were ultimately cancelled before construction began.
Design and description
Unsatisfied with the Leningrad-class destroyer leader, the Soviets decided that they needed foreign design assistance around 1934–1935. The French were not willing to share ship plans so the Soviets turned to Italy, based on their earlier experience with the Italians during the preliminary design work for the Kirov-class heavy cruisers. They requested designs for a high-speed destroyer leader from three Italian shipbuilders and accepted the submission by Odero-Terni-Orlando in September 1935. They would build the lead ship, named TASHKENT, in their Livorno shipyard and provide assistance for the Soviets to build others in their own shipyards. Three other ships were ordered, although the only ship to receive a name was BAKU, before they were all cancelled due to difficulties with adapting the Italian design to Soviet shipbuilding practices.
TASHKENT had an overall length of 139.7 meters (458 ft 4 in), a beam of 13.7 meters (44 ft 11 in), and a mean draft of 3.7 meters (12 ft 2 in). The ship displaced 2,893 long tons (2,939 t) at standard load and 2,680 long tons (2,720 t) at deep load. Her crew numbered 250 officers and sailors. The hull was riveted with a raised forecastle and 15 compartments. The hull strength was not up to requirements in TASHKENT and was increased for the Project 48 ships.
The ship had a pair of geared steam turbines, each driving one propeller, designed to produce 110,000 shaft horsepower (82,000 kW) using steam from a pair of Yarrow boilers. The turbines were housed in two separate compartments with alternating boiler rooms in a unit system layout. The turbines were intended to give TASHKENT a maximum speed of 42 knots (78 km/h; 48 mph) and she reached 44.2 knots (81.9 km/h; 50.9 mph) from 116,000 shp (87,000 kW) during her sea trials, although her armament had yet to be fitted.[3] The ship carried enough fuel oil to give her a range of 5,030 nautical miles(9,320 km; 5,790 mi) at 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph).
TASHKENT's main armament was intended to consisted of six 130-millimeter (5.1 in) B-13 guns in three twin-gun B-31 turrets, one super firing pair forward of the superstructure and the other mount aft of it. However, the turrets were not ready so three single mounts were used instead. Anti-aircraft defense was provided by six semi-automatic 45-millimeter (1.8 in) 21-K AA guns in single mounts as well as six 12.7-millimeter (0.50 in) DShK machine guns. They carried nine 533 mm (21.0 in) torpedo tubes in three rotating triple mounts. The ships could also carry a maximum of either 76 mines or 24 depth charges. Fire control consisted of a single gunnery director on top of the bridge and an Italian-made basic fire-control computer, and a rangefinder aft.
Modifications
The B-31 turrets were still not available in 1941 so the B-2LM turrets that were intended to arm the Kiev-class destroyer leaders and the Ognevoy-class destroyers were fitted instead. After the Germans invaded Russia in June, the 45 mm guns were replaced by an equal number of automatic 37-millimeter (1.5 in) AA guns and a twin-gun 39-K mount for 76.2-millimeter (3.0 in) 34-K AA guns was added on the stern.
In August 1941, the TASHKENT gave up a bank of torpedo tubes in favour of a pair of 75 mm (3.0 in) AA guns.
TASHKENT served with the Black Sea Fleet, fighting during the Siege of Sevastopol and making 40 supply trips through the German Blockade. In his memoirs Captain VN Eroshenko noticed this feat: “The leader «TASHKENT» steamed 27,000 miles, escorted without loss of 17 transports, carried 19,300 personal, 2,538 tons of ammunition, food and other goods into Sevastopol. She also fired 100 rounds and silenced six batteries, damaged one airfield, sank a torpedo boat and shot down and damaged 13 enemy aircraft.” Not bad for a ship that showed that was more to meet the eyes than solely nice lines. However any such story ends one day, and the German Luftwaffe was now firmly in place to create havoc on the black sea. On 28 June 1942, TASHKENT was attacked once more by a swarm of Junkers Ju 87 “Stuka”s, and was badly hit and severely damaged, taking 1900 tons of water before the emergency team working with makaroff gear and pumps could contain the flood. She was towed by the destroyer BDITELNYI and all the way back to Novorossiysk, but foundered in the harbour several days after, on 2 July 1942. Only gun turrets were salvaged, finding their way on the destroyer OGNEVOI. The Germans would later partially scrap the wreck, but the Soviets would eventually broke the ship in 1943 after taking back the harbour.

http://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/ww2/s ... r-TASHKENT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_destroyer_TASHKENT
Russia 1996 1500r sg 6615, scott 6344.

ST. LAWRENCE RIVER

As given below a container vessel is depict on the stamp, but I believe it is wrong and a “great laker” is shown with the wheelhouse near the bow and the engine room aft. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15806

When Europeans first set foot in Canada, they were faced with a wilderness barrier of trackless forests. Fortunately, this new land was also crisscrossed by many grand rivers, and these became the early routes of discovery, settlement and growth. The third set of Canada's River Heritage stamps, released August 10 in commemorative booklet form, features five of Canada's important heritage rivers: the St. John; the St. Lawrence; the Red; the Fraser; and the Yukon. On August 10, 1535, on the Feast of St. Lawrence, Jacques Cartier gave the name St. Lawrence to a bay of the great river that he had just begun to explore - a river of central importance to Canada's very existence and growth. The St. Lawrence, which is 1197 kilometres long, is the 14th largest river in the world, and second only to the Mackenzie River in this country. The river proper stretches from Lake Ontario at a point near Kingston to the Gulf of St. Lawrence near Sept-Iles. And with its major tributaries, the Ottawa, the Saguenay, the Manicouagan, the St-Maurice and the Richelieu, it is a drainage basin of over one million square kilometres! Tapping into a maze of lakes and rivers, the St. Lawrence begins an east-west passage above the U.S. border. It has been a gateway to the nation, a home to much of our population, and a vital artery of exploration, commerce and settlement. The stamp portrays an outward bound container ship in mid river, with the Laurentians in the background. A vignette shows the Beluga whale, once common in the river and now endangered.

https://www.canadianpostagestamps.ca/st ... and-growth
Canada 1993 43c sg 1561, scott 1488

Le MASSIAC

France issued two stamps in 1992 for tourism of which the 4,00F stamp shows the stern of a ship in Lorient while on the right is visible a sailing yacht.

The stern of the ship is identified as the French East India Company ship Le MASSIAC of 1758.
Built as a flute type ship on the East India Company shipyard in Lorient after plans made by Antoine Groignard for the East India Company.
30 December 1758 launched as the Le MASSIAC named after the First Secretary of the Navy, Claude de Massiac.
Tonnage 900/950 ton, displacement 1,604 ton, dim. 140 x 35 x 15.4ft, draught 18.5ft.
Armament 24 – 12 or 8pdr guns.
Crew 159-199.

She was in service for the French East India Company from 1759 – 1770. In April 1770 after the dissolution of the French East India Company she was sold to the French Navy.
1765 Underwent a refit, 21 June 1765 docked at Caudan, Port Louis, Ile de France (Mauritius.)
April 1771 after arrival in Lorient she was delivered to French Navy.

She made the following voyages for the East India Company, sailing and arrival harbour Lorient.
22 March 1759 to 27 January 1760 to India.
27 March 1760 to 19 February 1761 to India.
02 February 1762 to 10 January 1764 to the Isle of France, (Mauritius.)
23 February 1766 to 20 April 1768 to Pondicherry, India,
07 August 1768 to 23 May 1769 to Ile de France.
20 March 1770 to 27 April 1771 to India.
1771 to 13 July 1773 to China.

October 1773 sold to Foucault an owner in Lorient, and used as a cargo vessel between Lorient and Ile de France, India and China.
During the Seven Years War, took part in operations in the Indian Ocean under Squadron command of Grout de Saint Georges.
27 February 1762 the MASSIAC captured the British snow BETTY after a ransom was paid she was released.
The Squadron under command of Grout de Saint Georges captured seven ships, in which the MASSIAC took part.

A famous crew member served on board in 1760, Julien Crozet who gave his name to the French archipelago the Crozet Islands.

Source: https://www.histoire-genealogie.com/Une ... es?lang=fr
France 1992 4f sg 3080, scott 2292.

GASTON ROULLET painting of Noumea

The stamp issued in New Caledonia in 1993 is designed after a painting made by the French painter Gaston Roullet 1847-1925.

Roullet visited New Caledonia during 1889. The painting shows us some vessels in the Bay of Noumea with in the background Noumea, New Caledonia.

Source: Internet.
New Caledonia 1993 sg?, scott C242.

ALMADA NEGREIROS MURAL

José de Almada Negreiros was commissioned by architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro to create large murals for two new Lisbon maritime stations: Gare Marítima de Alcântara (mural completed in 1945) and Gare Marítima da Rocha Conde de Óbidos (mural completed in 1948). The multi-paneled murals give insights into art and visual characterization during the New State. Comparing the two projects, as Ellen W. Sapega’s book Consensus and Debate in Salazar’s Portugal discusses, reveals differences in visual interpretation under highly regulated official policy towards the arts.
http://visualizingportugal.com/murals-b ... negreiros/

One of this murals is depict on a stamp issued by Portugal in 1993, it shows some steam trawlers in the foreground, of which one carried the name TOJO, in the background are more vessel depict under sails. Have not any information on the vessels depict.

The Mural you can see in the Gare Maritime de Alcantara in Lisbon. More on the artist is given by Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9 ... _Negreiros
Portugal 1993 65e sg2317, scott ?

PACIFIC EXPLORER

SEVEN SEAS MARINER

Norfolk Island has issued two stamps and a MS which depict cruise vessel who has visited the island.
One of this vessels is the SEVEN SEAS MARINER.

17 January 2000 laid down.
Built as a cruise vessel under yard No K31 by Chantiers de L’Atlantique, St Nazaire, France for the Prestige Cruise Service (Europe) Ltd. and managed by Radison Seven Seas Cruises, Mata Utu, Wallis & Futuna.
08-September 2000 launched as the SEVEN SEAS MARINER.
Tonnage 48,075 grt, 17,600 net, 4,700 dwt. Dim. 216.0 x 28.84 x 16.15m., length bpp. 187.00, draught 7.20m.
Powered diesel electric by 4 Wärtsilä 12V 38B 12-cyl. diesel engines, 16,600 kW, connected to two Roll Royce Mermaid pods, each 8.5 MW, which power 2 Azimuth pods. Speed 19.5 knots.
Accommodation for 769 passengers maximum. Crew 445.
08 March 2001 delivered to owners.
22 May 2001 christened in Los Angeles.

From May 2001 engaged in cruises around the world.
June 2008 sold to Oceania Cruises Inc., Nassau, Bahamas.
May 2009 management transferred to Prestige Cruise Service.
October 2010 sold to Mariner LLC, Miami, USA, and registered under Bahama flag with homeport Nassau.
October 2015 Management transferred to NCL, Bahamas Ltd.
2018 Same name and owners. IMO No 9210139.

Norfolk Island 2018 $1 sg?, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Post your stamps here

If you have a stamp you would like to share with us, please post it in here
  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
PreviousNext

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum