Svanen

The full index of our ship stamp archive
john sefton

Svanen

Post by john sefton » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Extract from Log Book April 1992. Article written by LEIFA ULLAND

In Log Book February, Vol 21, page 138, I suggested that SVANEN depicted on the 1987 Mauritius stamp (SG770) is the former Schooner SVANEN built in Denmark in 1916 and currently serving as a Cadet Ship of the Norwegian Maritime Museum in Oslo.
Mr Bolton has written to me and proposed a different identity, namely a three masted wooden Barquentine most commonly known as OUR SVANEN. Having made some further study, I have concluded that Mr Bolton's identification is the correct one.
My books give the following information about OUR SVANEN: Traditional wooden Barquentine built as a three masted trading Schooner by K Andersen of Fredriksund, Denmark and launched in 1922.
She carried malt for the Tuborg Brewery in Denmark until purchased in 1969 by Douglas & Margaret Havers of the U.K.
Overall length 130'. Length of hull 90'. 100 gross tons.
Refitted in the 70's, converted into a Barquentine rig and registered in Stornoway, Scotland.
She sailed to Vancouver, Canada where she was given a long-term charter by the Royal Canadian Cadets for training in local and foreign waters.
Took part in the 1982 Tall Ships Race from Venezuela to Southampton.
Given a major overhaul in 1982/83 (winter) at Troeuse, Denmark in order to improve appearance and performance.
Took part in the 1984 Tall Ships Race from Puerto Rico to Bermuda and then on to Quebec via Halifax.
I have found no further details but Mr Bolton suggests that she was sold to Cananda in 1986 being used by the Canadian Sea Cadets, and later operated for Sail Pacific charters out of Vancouver.
She took part in the Australian First Fleet Celebrations and called on Mauritius on her way there, hence the stamp. On this trip her name was just SVANEN.
According to Mr Bolton's latest information she underwent a refit in Sydney and it was presumed that she was to go 'Whale Watching' off the coast of Queensland.

SVANEN (THE SWAN) is a very common name for a ship in Scandinavia. Another SVANEN which still sails today is SVANEN AV STOCKHOLM built 1906 as a small inshore passenger steamer, converted into a sailing vessel in 1978.

Log Book April 1992.
Mauritius SG770
Attachments
Scan 27.jpeg

john sefton

Re: Svanen

Post by john sefton » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 pm

The Svanen, is a wooden barquentine, 130'x22'xl0', 250 tons dwt.
She was built in 1922 by Frederssund in Denmark using Danish oak frames and carried bulk malt for the the Tuborg Beer Co. until 1969, when she was bought by Mr and Mrs Havers for private use.
She spent ten years refitting and has since been used for Tall Ships sailing, including the Tall Ships Race from Philadelphia to Portugal in 1982, and charter to the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets.
She was in the UK in 1996 to join the First Fleet re‑enactment.
Currently based in Sydney as a sail training vessel.

From Ian Fisher Log Book May 2003

aukepalmhof

Re: Svanen

Post by aukepalmhof » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Built as a three masted fore-and-aft wooden schooner by K. Andersen Frederiksund Skibsvært at Frederiksund, Denmark for Captain J.I.J.Hedaa at Lemvig, Denmark,
Launched as MATILDE or MATILTE, the name as in most sources given MATHILDE I can’t find in the Danish sources.
Tonnage 99.93 brt, 69,68 net, 165 dwt, dim. 87.7 x 21.8 x 8.1ft.
One auxiliary diesel engine, 120 ihp.
1922 Completed.

06 April 1926 sold to Partrederi I Kobenhavn Captain Th Lindholmer and others at Odense/Nakskov, renamed PACIFIC.
March 1933 transferred to H.C. Andersen, Nakskov and renamed H.C. ANDERSEN.
January 1938 transferred again to Partrederi I Kobenhav, Captain Th Lindholmer and others, renamed in SVANEN.

1955/56 Lloyds Registry gives her owner as P.E. Simonsen, Middelfart, Denmark, built under the name MATHILTE and fitted out with an Alpha 3-cyl diesel engine. At that time she carried still the name SVANEN.

Source: http://www.jmarcussen.dk/maritim/skibsl ... hp?id=5599

Early 1970 sold to Doug Havers couple in Canada and not renamed.

SOUTHERN SWAN is a traditional Baltic trader, currently rigged as a three-masted barquentine. She is typical of coastal trading ships from the era 1840s to 1940s.
The ship was built in Frederikssund, Denmark in 1922. The hull was carvel-built from oak. She was rigged as a three-masted topsail schooner. The ship is 39.6 metres (130 ft) in length overall, with a beam of 6.7 metres (22 ft) and a draught of 3 metres (9.8 ft).
Initially operating under the name MATHILDE, the ship was intended for trade voyages to and from Greenland. However, she spent most of her commercial career hauling grain to the Tuborg Brewery. During her career, she was renamed PACIFIC in 1926, HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN in 1930, and SVANEN (Swan) in 1938. In 1955, a 3-cylinder Alpha diesel engine was fitted to the vessel.

In the late 1960s, she was sold to a Canadian couple Havers, who spent the next decade refitting and rebuilding the ship. By the time she resumed operations in 1977, SVANEN had received new masts and spars, and was re-rigged as a short-rigged barquentine. At this point she had her registry changed from Dutch to British. In her new configuration, she had a mast height of 23.2 metres (76 ft), and a total sail area of 502 square metres (5,400 sq ft).
In 1978, the vessel sailed from England to the west coast of Canada. She spent the next six years operating out of Victoria, British Columbia as a training ship for the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets. The charter ended in 1986, and she was sold to C.D.A. Sail Pacific, who put SVANEN on display at Expo '86. During 1986, the Alpha engine was replaced by a 350-horsepower (260 kW) Caterpillar 3406 diesel, which could propel the ship at 6 knots (11 km/h; 6.9 mph).
At the end of 1986, SVANEN left Canada for England, to join the First Fleet Re-enactment Voyage: a historical re-enactment for the Australian Bicentenary. She left England for Australia in May 1987, and sailed with the fleet via Tenerife, Rio de Janeiro, Cape Town, Mauritius, and Fremantle before arriving in Sydney on Australia Day (26 January) 1988. During the stay at Mauritius, SVANEN was re-registered as a Canadian vessel.
After the re-enactment, SVANEN remained based in Sydney, with charters and cruises along the eastern Australian coast. In 2007, the ship was purchased by the Woods and Warne families, who formed the company Sydney Harbour Tall Ships. The vessel's name was changed to SOUTHERN SWAN in 2010. The ship is used for charters, functions, and film work[In October 2013, SOUTHERN SWAN participated in the International Fleet Review 2013 in Sydney, Australia.
2019 In service, same name and owner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Swan
Mauritius 1987 5R sg 770, scott?
Attachments
svanen.jpg