Built as a cargo- passenger vessel under yard No 1332 by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast for the Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd.
17 August 1947 launched under the name PRETORIA CASTLE. Launching ceremony was carried out by Mrs. Issie Smuts, wife of Field Marshal J.C. Smuts, by radio from her home in Irene, Transvaal.
Tonnage 28.705 grt, 16.713, 15.890 dwt., dim. 227.81 x 25.6 x13.33m, length bpp. 218.67m.
Powered by six steam turbines, manufactured by builder 35.ooo shp, double reduction to two shafts, speed 22 knots.
Accommodation for 214 first and 541 tourist class passengers, crew 400.
10 July 1948 completed.
Her maiden voyage was the same month from Southampton to Cape Town and Durban in South Africa.
1962 Refurbished by her builders and fitted out with air condition, tonnage thereafter given as 28.625 grt.
1964 Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., appointed as managers.
01 January 1966 sold to the South African Marine Corporation (UK) Ltd., London.
02 February 1966 renamed in S.A. ORANJE. Renaming was carried out by Mrs. Betsie Verwoerd wife of Dr. H.F. Verwoerd, then prime minister of South Africa.
17 March 1969 Transferred to the South African Marine Corporation Ltd., Cape Town. Homeport Cape Town. Still managed and crewed by the Union Castle Company.
On 05 March 1975 she made her last voyage from Durban with passengers, thereafter an only cargo voyage.
October 1975 After destored she sailed from Durban for the scrapyard in Taiwan.
02 November 1975 arrived at Kaohsiung and was scrapped by Chin Tai Steel Enterprises Company Ltd.
24 January 1976 scrapping work commenced.
South Africa 1996 2r sgMS938, scott954
Source: In South African waters, Passenger liners since 1930 by Hughes and Hümphries.
Safmarine by Harvey and Mackenzie.
The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1