SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.

PORT OF D'OWENDO

In 1978 Gabon issued one stamp for the Port of D’Owendo, with alongside the quay two general cargo vessels, with a lot of deck cargo under which it looks some containers, it were not real container vessels as given by Stanley Gibbons. Of the two vessels I have not any information and so far I known she are not yet identified.

Owendo is a port city in Gabon, forming a south western suburb of Libreville. It lies at the western end of the Trans-Gabon Railway, and was officially opened in 1988. But the port was already in use when the first section of the Trans Gabon Railway was opened between Owendo and Ndjolé in 1978 when the stamp was issued.

Source: wikipedia.
Gabon 1978 50F sg 650, scott 403.

CUBA COAST GUARD 081

The stamp shows us a Cubanian coastguard vessel with pennant No 081 of which I have not any details, more info welcome.
The inscription on the stamp gives: "Detachment Looking at the Sea".

KONDOR CLASS MINESWEEPER

For the 35th Anniversary of the DDR (1949-1984) the East German Post issued three stamps of which the 20p has a maritime theme, it shows us a navy ship of the East Germany Volksmarine what is given by Navicula that she is one of the Kondor II class minesweepers.

Project 89 Kondor Minesweeper, also known as the Kondor class, was a class of minesweepers designed in the German Democratic Republic which was given the NATO designation of "Condor" There were 3 versions, namely, the prototype unit, Project 89.0; the first version, Project 89.1 (NATO designation: Condor I); and the second version, Project 89.2 (NATO designation: Condor II).
The class depict on the stamp was built as Project 89.2 as minesweepers on the Peenewerft in Wolgast, East Germany between 1971 and 1973 for the Volksmarine of the DDR.
The first built was the WOLGAST and commissioned in 1971, in total 30 were built of this class. After Germany was united most were sold to a foreign country, there are still 12 in active service in 2018.
Displacement 449 ton, dim. 56.7 x 7.76 x 2.22m. (draught).
Powered by two MD 40 diesel engines each 2,490 hp, twin shafts, speed 18 kn.
Range 1,900 mile
Armament: 3 – 25mm Flak 2M-3 (AA) carried 24 mines or 24 depth charges.
Crew 30.

The WOLGAST was commissioned 20 May 1971in the Volksmarine, sold to Indonesia in 1990 and still in service by the Indonesian Navy.

Source: Wikipedia and various other web-sites.
East German 1984 20p sg?, scott2429.

WORLD COMMUNICATION YEAR 1983 (DDR)

East Germany issued in 1983 four stamps for the “World Communication Year1983” of which two stamps have a maritime theme.

The 10p depict the radio station Rugen on Rugen Island in the Baltic, with in the distance stylized ships. The nearest is a cargo vessel (coaster) with two holds, the vessel to the right is also a cargo vessel with four holds, while the vessel on the left looks like a supply vessel but a supply vessel has no masts on the aft-deck, it can also be a small ro-ro vessel.

The 20p shows also a stylized four hold cargo vessel.

East Germany 1983 10p and 20p sg E2488 and E2489, scott 2220/21
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

PACIFIC DAWN cruise vessel

The full index of our ship stamp archive

PACIFIC DAWN cruise vessel

Postby aukepalmhof » Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 pm

tmp1F1.jpg
Click image to view full size
Regal_Princess_at_Port_Everglades.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp138.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a cruise vessel under yard No 5840 by Fincantieri-Cant. Nav. Italiani, Monfalcone, Italy for Sitmar Cruises.
1986 ordered.
1988 Sitmar Cruises was sold to the P&) Group, who owned also the Princess Cruises.
29 March 1990 floated out of the building dock as REGAL PRINCESS.
Tonnage 69,845 grt, 6,261 dwt. Dim. 245.1 x 32.25 x 14.3m., draught 7.90m.
Powered by four 8-cyl. MAN-B&W diesel engines, 24,000 kW., twin shafts, speed 19.5 knots.
Accommodation for 1,792 passengers.
05 June 1991 trials.
20 July 1991 delivered to P&O Cruises, Palermo, Italy. Building cost US$ 276.8 million.
She was designed by the world-renown Italian architect Renzo Piano.
08 August 1991 at New York christened by the former U.K. Minister President Margaret Thatcher.

First was she used from out Fort Lauderdale for weekly cruises to the Caribbean together with her sister the CROWN PRINCESS.
During the summer months she sailed from Vancouver to Alaska, while in the winter months from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean.
When new ships arrived, the REGAL PRINCESS was used from Fort Lauderdale through the Panama Canal to Los Angeles, but continued the Alaska trade during the summer months.
After the summer season of 2000 ended she sailed to Los Angles and from there she sailed on a cruise through the South Pacific to Australia and New Zealand a four week roundtrip, altogether she made 4 round trips in this service.
11 March 2001 she sailed from Sydney for Asian ports before she headed back to her summer Alaska cruises.
November 2001 she made some other voyages from Los Angles via Asian ports to Australia and New Zealand. During the summer again used in the Alaskan cruise trade.
December 2002 she made some cruises from Sydney and New Zealand.
21 March 2003 she left down-under and headed for the Mediterranean, and after some cruises there she sailed to the Baltic for some summer cruises.
The next winter she was again cruising in the Caribbean.
February 2006 it was announced that REGAL PRINCESS was transferred to P&O Cruises Australia in October 2007.
23 September 2007 she sailed from Seattle for a 31 day cruise via, Tahiti, Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji and several ports in New Zealand before she arrived in Sydney on 02 October.
Then she headed for Singapore for a major refurbishment by the Sembawang Shipyard in Singapore.
Passenger accommodation increased to 2050 passengers.
08 November 2007 renamed by the Australian gold medallist Cathy Freeman in Sydney as the PACIFIC DAWN.

2010 In service based in Brisbane, IMO No 8521232, under British flag with homeport London.
Owner; Carnival PLC, London and managed by P&O Cruises, Sydney, Australia. Tonnage Grt. 70,285 , 7,002 dwt.

Norfolk Island 2010 $1.75 sg?, scott? (as PACIFIC DAWN)
Marshall Islands 2002 80c sg?, scott? (as REGAL PRINCESS) see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9780

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Dawn_(ship) http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/regal_princess_1991.htm Australian Cruise Ships by Peter Plowman. http://www.equasis.org
Last edited by aukepalmhof on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: PACIFIC DAWN cruise vessel

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 am

regal princess z.jpg
Click image to view full size
As REGAL PRINCESS in the locks of Panama Canal
(Panama 1999, B 0.35, StG.?)
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 56 guests

cron