SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.

The editor of Log book will retire this coming August and, unless a new one comes forward, the society will close.
With this in mind, we are not taking in any new members.
This is an unfortunate situation but seemingly unavoidable.
$post_attachment_names[$j]

Lady Elizabeth

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Lady Elizabeth

Postby john sefton » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:37 pm

SG417.jpg
SG417
Click image to view full size
SG262.jpg
SG262
SG262.jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Click image to view full size
The LADY ELIZABETH lies-beached at the eastern end of Stanley harbour at Whalebone Cove. She arrived in the Falklands on March 13th 1913, under the Norwegian flag, on voyage from Vancouver to Delagoa Bay with a cargo of lumber. She struck the Uranie Rock in the entrance to Berkley Sound to the north east of Stanley and was so badly damaged that after examination it was decided to dispose of her in the Falklands rather than stand the heavy cost of repairs. She served as a floating warehouse in the harbour for many years until she was put ashore in Whalebone Cove on the 17th February 1936.
She was built in 1879 at Sunderland by R. Thompson Jr. Her registered tonnage was 1208, her length 223ft. and her beam 35ft. During her life she changed hands several times; at one period owned by G.C. Karren and registered at Castletown in the Isle of Man. Her latest position 51deg41’36"S, 57deg48’17"W.
Log Book May 1982
Falkland Is SG417 Isle of Man SG262 MS264
john sefton
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Lady Elizabeth

Postby aukepalmhof » Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 pm

tmp119.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp11A.jpg
Click image to view full size
Lady_Elizabeth.jpg
Click image to view full size
2018 LADY ELIZABETH.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as an iron hulled bark under yard No 98 by Robert Thompson Jr., Sunderland bought on the stocks by John Wilson, London.
04 June 1879 launched under the name LADY ELIZABETH, she was named after a former ship of Wilson which was lost on a voyage from Fremantle to Shanghai, she grounded on Rottnest Island on 30 June 1878.
Tonnage 1,208 grt, 1,155 net., dim 67.97 x 10.67 x 6.52m.
21 August 1879 registered at London.

11 September 1879 sailed from North Shields for her maiden voyage under Captain Findley and a crew of 21 men, loaded with 1,760 ton of coal bound for Bombay, where she arrived on 30 January 1880.
After discharging on 10 March 1880 she left for Madras then to Cocanada before sailing for London. Arrived London on 30 October 1880 loaded with general cargo.
Her next voyage was from Middlesbrough and via Reunion and Mauritius to Galle in Ceylon then to Chittagong where she loaded (most probably rice), before sailing to Mauritius where she arrived on 13 March 1882.
22 April 1882 she left for a round charter voyage to Melbourne, Australia, arrived back in Mauritius on 15 October.
08 December 1882 she sailed from Mauritius bound for Bombay and Gopaulpore where she leaded 23,400 bales if rice.
06 November 1883 arrived in London.
03 April 1884 Robert Thompson was declared bankrupt, but before the LADY ELIZABETH was already sold by the mortgage holder the Merchant Banking Comp. to George Christian Karran.

The new owner who captained also the LADY ELIZABET used her in a liner service between the U.K. to Australia the next four voyages

• On 23 February 1884, The LADY ELIZABETH suffered substantial damage from a hurricane. She sustained damage to the front of the poop deck after it was stoved in. Many of her sails were lost or severely damaged. Despite the damage, the ship was able to make it to port in Sydney, Australia where six crew members jumped ship. Another death occurred on the voyage when William Leach fell from aloft and later died from his injuries. This was the third voyage under the command of Captain Karran.
• On 10 May 1890, Captain George Christian Karran stepped down as captain after six voyages and Captain H. C. Lever took command as the new captain of the LADY ELIZABETH
• In January 1906, The LADY ELIZABETH was sold to the Norwegian company "Skibasaktieselskabet" of Sundet, Boroen.
During Captain Julius Hoigh’s command of the ship, two crew members went missing after suffering from malarial fever. The LADY ELIZABETH left Callao, Peru with a crew that included several Finns on 26 September (year unknown, but between 1906 and 1913). Just after leaving port, one of the Finns named Granquiss became ill, which Captain Hoigh diagnosed as malarial fever. A few days later, another crewmember who was also a Finn named Haparanta also became ill with malarial fever. Another crew member also complained of feeling ill but not as severe. The captain prescribed some remedies to help the ill crew members and they were allowed to walk the deck for the fresh air. A short time later, around afternoon, Granquiss went missing and the crew were unable to locate him on the ship. Captain Hoigh came to the conclusion that the ill crew member must have deliberately jumped overboard, taking his own life and was not lost overboard due to the fine weather that day. Around 7:00 pm, Captain Hoigh discovered the other sick Finn crewmember was missing. A search turned up no evidence of him. It was concluded that the malaria had caused both men to become delirious and jump overboard. Captain Hoigh ordered the crew to keep close watch on the last man with the less severe fever. Captain Hoigh reported that there had not been any previous trouble with the other men. The LADY ELIZABETH eventually arrived at its destination Newcastle New South Wales and filed a report with authorities. A consul from Norway named H. C. Langwill held an official inquiry.
On 4 December 1912, The LADY ELIZABETH left Vancouver bound for Delagoa Bay Mozambique, with a shipment of lumber. The ship encountered severe weather halfway through the voyage and was damaged just off Cape Horn. Four crew members were lost overboard, along with the ships two boats and part of her deck cargo. She also sustained damage to the deck fittings, wheel, moorings, and other parts of the ship. Captain Hoigh ordered the ship to the nearest port for repairs. The LADY ELIZABETH altered course for Stanley, Falkland Islands. Fifteen miles outside Port Stanley, the LADY ELIZABETH struck Uraine Rock just off Volunteer Point and suffered a six-foot break in the hull and keel along with a foot long hole. The ship began to sink but was able to get to Port Stanley for repairs. After the ship was examined, the LADY ELIZABETH was condemned (declared unseaworthy) because of the damage.
In June 1913, she was condemned and converted into a coal hulk. She was sold to Crown Receiver of Wrecks, Falkland Islands for £1,000. The LADY ELIZABETH remained stationed there until 17 February 1936 when her mooring lines broke during a storm and she drifted to where she now lies in Whale Bone Cove in Stanley Harbour.
The LADY ELIZABETH is still intact and partially beached on Whale Bone Cove. The ship has been reported to rock back and forth during high tides from the pounding waves. Many of the ships accessories are still attached to the LADY ELIZABETH including the main crank for the anchor, the davits that would hold the two lifeboats, part of the crow's nest, part of the spiral staircase, and most of her wooden decking. However, most of the ship is suffering severe rust and the keel of the LADY ELIZABETH has started to rust away leaving large holes. During high tide, the bottom of the ship is flooded. There are still sections of paint on the inside of the ship. Some of the iron rivets have rusted away causing the starboard bulkhead to spring out.
In June 1984, the owner assessed the damage of the LADY ELIZABETH. Using original reports from the assessment made on the damage in 1913, they found the foot-long hole in the keel and reported that this was indeed the reason the ship would not stay afloat. However, if the LADY ELIZABETH was towed for repairs in dry-dock, she could possibly sail again. Unfortunately, there was no dry dock in Port Stanley in 1984. Since coming to rest in Whale Bone Cove, the poop deck quarters have been removed of all wood and vandalized. The rudder of the ship is still intact but showing severe corrosion and is turned to port with the steering gears still intact but also corroded. The ships wheel is missing. The original anchor has not been located; however, it is believed to be buried where the LADY ELIZABETH was used as a coal hulk. Plans were being made to salvage the LADY ELIZABETH by the Crown Receiver of Wrecks and convert her into floating museum. Due to lack of funding however, the project was never completed.
In the winter of 2008, the ship’s bowsprit broke during a storm. The Falkland Islands Museum & National Trust is currently discussing removing the bowsprit.
Isle of Man 1984 28p sg262, scott?. MSsg264 28p and 31p.
Falkland Islands 1982 5p sg417, scott? 2018 £1.22 sg?, scott?
Source: Wikipedia. Log Book
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5967
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Lady Elizabeth

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:50 pm

lady e 40.jpg
Click image to view full size
Falkland Islands 2002, 40 p. StG.?
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 62 guests