HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH. Battleship name ship of class, 27,500 tons. Built by Portsmouth Dockyard. Laid down 21 October 1912. Launched 16th October 1913. Completed January 1915.
With 8-15" 16-6" 2-3" guns and a speed of 24 knots, and a complement of 951. First battleship to have 15" guns and first to be oil-fired.
First commissioned 22/12/1914, joining Med. Fleet in February 1915 as flagship of Eastern Med. Squadron.
Present at Gallipoli landings.
Joined Grand Fleet in May 1915 and from 1916-1919 fleet flagship of Admiral Sir David Beatty.
In November 1918 surrender of German Fleet took place on board.
Until July 1925 was flagship of Atlantic fleet then refit 1926-27 and in Med for 1927.
In W.W.II joined Home Fleet in February 1941 after refit.
Seriously damaged by Limpet mines in Alexandria Harbour on 19th December 1941. Sent to USA. in September 1942 to be reconditioned, leaving UK in June 1943.
Served at Trincomalee from 28th January 1944 as flagship of Admiral Sir James Somerville.
Returned from Far East in July 1945 and into reserve at Rosyth in August.
Sold March 1943 and arrived 7th July 1948 at Arnott Young Dalmuir to break up.
Log Book January 1985.
The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1