Victoria (I.O.M.)

The full index of our ship stamp archive
john sefton

Victoria (I.O.M.)

Post by john sefton » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Victoria Steel triple screw steamer, direct drive turbines
Official Number: 123811 Call Sign: H K N R from 1934: GNTF
Built & engined: William Denny & Bros., Dumbarton Yard No. 789
Built as Victoria for South Eastern & Chatham Railway Co.
Acquired by IOMSPCo.: 1928
Steel; triple-screw turbine. Built in 1907 by Wm. Denny at Dumbarton for the South Eastern and Chatham Railway who used her on the Dover-Calais service.
Purchased from them by the Steam Packet Company in 1928 for £25,000, but with alterations, the total cost was £37,550.
Passenger accommodation for 1,536; crew 41.
Tonnage 1641; length 311'; beam 40' 1"; depth 16'6"; speed 22 knots. Indicated horsepower 7500.
Sister ship of the Mona's Isle (IV) - Fleet List number 36- with a largely uneventful log. She was the last triple-screw direct drive turbine ship in the Company's fleet. Her turbines and propellers worked at 600 r.p.m., a rotation typical of the direct-drive turbine but much exceeding those used today with geared turbines.
She was chartered by the L.M.S. for one day to assist in the August Bank Holiday traffic on the Holyhead-Dun Laoghaire route in 1938. She made only one two-way crossing with 1,541 passengers in all, and the fee charged was £450.
Her World War II service included being mined in December 1940 but she was towed to safety and at the end of the war she returned to the Company's service. She was finally sold in January 1957 and broken up at Barrow.
Island Lifeline by Connery Chappell and other sources.
Isle of Man SG607

VICTORIA
Like the Lady of Mann, the Victoria was heavily involved in D-Day operations. Firstly in the
preparation and training off Portland, Dorset, then in the D-Day landings themselves. Fitted out as an LSl (H) she was selected as one of the ships to land assault forces on the beach at Arromanches.
This was one of the three British spearheads on the Normandy invasion. Later the same day, the Victoria was to land US forces on the UTAH BEACH. Throughout the war, the Victoria was crewed by officers and men of the Merchant Navy and flew the Red Ensign, although the crews of the LCI's aboard the vessel were RNVR, causing the Admiralty to regard the Victoria as "a bit of a mongrel".
Attachments
SG607.jpg

D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen

Re: Victoria (I.O.M.)

Post by D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:32 pm

The correct stamp

Thanks very much, my mistake. John
Attachments
victoria man.jpg

D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen

Re: Victoria (I.O.M.)

Post by D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:30 pm