SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

PACIFIC EXPLORER

SEVEN SEAS MARINER

Norfolk Island has issued two stamps and a MS which depict cruise vessel who has visited the island.
One of this vessels is the SEVEN SEAS MARINER.

17 January 2000 laid down.
Built as a cruise vessel under yard No K31 by Chantiers de L’Atlantique, St Nazaire, France for the Prestige Cruise Service (Europe) Ltd. and managed by Radison Seven Seas Cruises, Mata Utu, Wallis & Futuna.
08-September 2000 launched as the SEVEN SEAS MARINER.
Tonnage 48,075 grt, 17,600 net, 4,700 dwt. Dim. 216.0 x 28.84 x 16.15m., length bpp. 187.00, draught 7.20m.
Powered diesel electric by 4 Wärtsilä 12V 38B 12-cyl. diesel engines, 16,600 kW, connected to two Roll Royce Mermaid pods, each 8.5 MW, which power 2 Azimuth pods. Speed 19.5 knots.
Accommodation for 769 passengers maximum. Crew 445.
08 March 2001 delivered to owners.
22 May 2001 christened in Los Angeles.

From May 2001 engaged in cruises around the world.
June 2008 sold to Oceania Cruises Inc., Nassau, Bahamas.
May 2009 management transferred to Prestige Cruise Service.
October 2010 sold to Mariner LLC, Miami, USA, and registered under Bahama flag with homeport Nassau.
October 2015 Management transferred to NCL, Bahamas Ltd.
2018 Same name and owners. IMO No 9210139.

Norfolk Island 2018 $1 sg?, scott?

DIA DE LA ARMADA

Mexico issued in 1992 one stamp for the Dia de la Armada (Dag van de Navy) which shows us two stylized warships.

The sailing ship is as it looks topsail schooner rigged, while the vessel in the foreground with the long afterdeck is a modern warship.

Mexico 1992 $1.300 sg 2101, scott 1779.

TRIREME

The stamp shows in the background a “trireme” : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12113&p=16176&hilit=trireme#!lightbox[gallery]/5/

The Bosnia& Herzegovina Post gives the following by the stamp, most is about the Iris and noting about the depicted vessel.

About Myths and Flora 2007 - The Illyrian Iris in Myths

Perunika (Iris) was named after Perun – Slavic God of Thunder. Legend says that perunika would overgrow in the place that was touched by Perun’s lightning.
Many species of Iris grows in Herzegovina and Dalmatia: Iris illyrica, iris croatica, and Iris pseudopallida. Many antiques writers, such as Teofrast, Nicander and Plinius, mention it.

The root of perunika was used in medicine and in agriculture, but its biggest value was in perfumery. According to the Plinius, the odour of perunika was produced only by Greek cities such as Corint, who led in perfume manufacturing and exported it all over the Mediterranean, and Kizik. Hereof testimony many ceramic pots for perfumes – alabastron and aryballos. In the first fase, the perfume was in liquidity, but Corinthians were started to produce fixed perfume (Greek stymma, something like today’s cream). It was more economical for transport and it was prepared for special pots – pikside.
Many pots for perfumes were found in the field of Narona where, in the IV. century B.C, Greeks founded emporium (port) and established market place in the Neretva, on which boats and ships triere – trireme, were sailing.

Plinius Secundus, in his encyclopedia Naturalis historis writes: “Iris laudatissima in Illyrico, et ibi quoque non in maritimis, sed in silvestribus Drilonis et Naronae”. (Perunika from Illyrica is very praised, not those along the shore, but those in the woods along Drim and Neretva).

Bosnia& Herzegovina 2007 3.00KM sg?, scott?

DEPORTATION OF THE PEOPLE OF ST PIERRE et MIQUELON in 1793

The stamp issued in 1993 by St Pierre et Miquelon shows the people leaving by most probably fishing boats St Pierre et Miquelon after the British captured the island on 14 May 1793 and the people living there were deported. In the background of the stamp, the island is visible, and the people in the first boat are looking for the last time to the island.

The people of the island were deported to Magdalen Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1993 5f10 sg 698. Scott 591.
Source: Internet

HMS Diana (1794)

HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794. Because Diana served in the Royal Navy's Egyptian campaign between 8 March 1801 and 2 September, her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal that the Admiralty authorized in 1850 to all surviving claimants. Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. (Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.) On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers. Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder. The design stamp is made after painting of Tom Freeman.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Diana_(1794). Ivory Coast 2018;500f.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Fearless HMS

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Fearless HMS

Postby john sefton » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:07 pm

SG477.jpg
SG477
Click image to view full size
Fearless.jpeg
Click image to view full size
Scan 193.jpeg
Click image to view full size
The Fearless first entered the Navy lists as a gun-brig of 180 bm in 1804. Measuring 80.5 x22.5ft and armed with 2-l8poundcr carronades it was built in Harwick and came to an untimely end in 1812 when it was wrecked near Cadiz.
Her successor was an ex-GPO vessel called Flamer used for survey work.
She in turn was followed by a Scout cruiser of 3440 tons mounting 10-4 inch guns. Built in Pembroke Dock in 1912 she was sold in 1921 and sent to Germany to be broken up.
In 1934 a destroyer, which gave its name to the class, was built by Cammell Laird, went into service and in due course joined Force H at Gibraltar. The
Fearless displaced 1375 tons, measured 318 x 331/2 ft and
mounted 4-4.7 inch guns as well as 8 torpedo tubes. While forming part of the escort to a convoy trying to get through from Gibraltar to Malta (1941) she was heavily damaged by aircraft of the Italian air force and had to be sunk by the Royal Navy. An assault ship is now the proud holder of the name.

One of two such ships-the other being HMS Intrepid, it is the most versatile ship yet built for amphibious warfare, she has, due to her unusual design, the ability to act like a floating dock. This enables her to lower herself by 9 ft in the water and allow landing craft to swim in and out through the stern.
The ship can accommodate, in addition to her complement of 50 officers and 500 men, an infantry battalion with all its equipment and a squadron of tanks or armoured Scout cars, or a complete unit of the Royal Engineers with their heavy equipment. The Fearless flight deck, which measures 165 x
75 ft is capable of taking all types of helicopters from the three Services including the Sea King MK 4, the Navy's largest troop carrying helicopter which is able to transport 40 fully armed men. The ship is equipped for use as a joint head quarters for naval and military commanders who are able to maintain close liaison with higher command, with other ships, and with the military force when landed.
HMS Fearless was built by Harland and Wolff Lid. at Belfast and was first Commissioned in November 1965. She displaces 12,000 tons, is 520 feet long and has a beam of 80 feet. Her defences consist of four Seacat missile systems for defence against surface and air attack and two 40 mm Bofor guns. The main machinery consists of steam turbines in two self-
contained units, each driving one shaft.
Gibraltar Philatelic. Cover from D Mabbs.
Gibraltar SG477
john sefton
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Fearless HMS

Postby aukepalmhof » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 am

From1991 till 1995 she supported the sea training phase of intial officer training undertaken at Britannia Royal Naval College as part of the Dartmouth Training Squadron.

18 March 2002 decommissioned and awaiting disposal in Fareham Creek near Portsmouth.

December 2007 arrived Gent, Belgium for breaking up.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5634
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 63 guests

cron