Ascania (Isle of Man 2011 Genealogy Issue)

The full index of our ship stamp archive
ibiscus1

Ascania (Isle of Man 2011 Genealogy Issue)

Post by ibiscus1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:50 pm

You may be interested to know that the ship depicted on one of the 67p stamps SG 1645 is Cunard's Ascania. I have had that checked out with the designer of the stamp and the Isle of Man Philatelic Bureau.

Ascania was the fifth of Cunard's six A liners. Although she was launched late in 1923, her completion was delayed and she did not make her maiden voyage, from London to Montreal, until 22 May 1925.
She remained on that route until 1939 when, like all the A liners, she was requisitioned as an armed merchant cruiser. She was later converted into an infantry landing ship and took part in the invasion of Sicily and the landing at Anzio in 1943.
In September 1947 she returned to Cunard and made her first post-war voyage, from Liverpool to Halifax, on 20 December. In 1949 the passenger accommodation was restructured to house 200 1st class and 500 cabin class passengers. After this it returned to the Liverpool to Montreal route, as there were large numbers of people emigrating to Canada at this time. The stamp from Isle of Man recalls the numbers who left from Douglas to begin a new life in Canada.
Ascania again saw service as a troop carrier during the 1956 Suez crisis before being sold later that year and sent to the breakers in 1957.
W S Wilson, Ibiscus

JodyRodriguez

Re: Ascania (Isle of Man 2011 Genealogy Issue)

Post by JodyRodriguez » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 am

First of all thank you so much for posting such a submit here for us. I hope you will get most effective answer soon. Readers will think about this topic and may get many valuable thoughts on it. Actually I was searching for a topic to write an essay a part of my education and I which should be a an attractive topic also. So here I think this topic can be used as my essay topic. But I am not bother about the writing help. Why because I trust in reviews of essay writing service and they will help me to create an effective essay without dues.

aukepalmhof

Re: Ascania (Isle of Man 2011 Genealogy Issue)

Post by aukepalmhof » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:47 pm

A photo of the ship and a image of the stamp.

More info is given on: http://www.shipstamps.co.uk/forum/viewt ... nia#p11990
Attachments
Ascania-1925.jpg
2011 ASCANIA.jpg