MACKINAW USCGC icebreaker-buoy-tender

Built as a icebreaker-buoy-tender under yard no 601 by Marinette Marine Corporation (MMC), Marinette, USA for the USA Coastguard.

Laid down: February 09, 2004.
Launched: April 2, 2005 under the name USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30), the name Mackinaw has its roots in the ancient Native American language of the Great Lakes. Specifically, it is derived from the word Michilimackinac in the Ojibwa language, meaning "Island of the Great Turtle." Both Mackinaw (the English derivation) and Mackinac (the French derivation where "ac" is pronounced "aw") are derived from this word and pronounced Mak'ino.
Displacement 3,500 ton, dim. 73 x 17.8 x 4.9m. (draught), length bpp. 69.9m.
The ship is powered by 3 Caterpillar Turbocharged V-12 engines that drive 2 ABB electric propulsion drives that deliver a combined 9,200 horsepower. They are Caterpillar 3612 engines, turning Kato Generators. Mackinaw has 3 MDG’s. Each producing about 3.5 Megawatts of electric power. Mackinaw has an integrated electric plant. This means that the main generators provide electric power for both propulsion (ABB Azipods) and ship’s electric services (everything else). Speed 16 knots.
Crew 9 officers and 46 enlisted.
Commissioned: June 10, 2006, Homeport: Cheboygan, Michigan IMO No 9271054.

WLBB: The W preceding the number of all Coast Guard ships since World War II signifies them as Coast Guard vessels. WLB is the Coast Guard’s designation for seagoing buoy-tenders. The L stands for load-bearing working boat, and the B specifies its size category (big). The LB designates this vessel as a big buoy-tender, and the last B stands for icebreaker.

USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30) is a 240-foot (73 m) vessel built as a heavy icebreaker for operations on the North American Great Lakes for the United States Coast Guard. IMO number: 9271054. She should not be confused with a namesake ship, the USCGC MACKINAW (WAGB-83), IMO number 6119534, which was decommissioned on June 10, 2006.
MACKINAW was delivered to the Coast Guard on November 18, 2005 and commissioned on June 10, 2006. In addition to her ice-breaking duties, the MACKINAW will also serve as an Aids to Navigation ship, able to perform the same duties as the Seagoing Buoy Tenders (WLB) of the Coast Guard fleet. Further, she can conduct law enforcement and search and rescue missions and can deploy an oil skimming system to respond to oil spill situations and environmental response. One of the MACKINAW's unique features in the US Coast Guard fleet is the use of two Azipod units, ABB's brand of electric azimuth thrusters, for her main propulsion. These, coupled with a 550 hp (410 kW) bow thruster, make the ship exceptionally maneuverable. The Azipod units also remove the need for a traditional rudder, as the thrusters can turn 360 degrees around their vertical axis to direct their thrust in any direction. The MACKINAW also lacks a traditional ship's steering wheel. Much of the ship’s technology, including the Azipod thrusters, is from Finnish Maritime Cluster. Additionally, the MACKINAW can continuously proceed through fresh water ice up to 32 inches (81 cm) thick at 3 knots or 14 inches (36 cm) at 10 knots. She can also break smooth, continuous ice up to 42 inches (107 cm) thick through ramming.

The MACKINAW got off to a rocky start before being commissioned. While en-route to her new home port of Cheboygan, Michigan, the MACKINAW struck a seawall in Grand Haven, Michigan on December 12, 2005. The accident caused a 10-foot (3.0 m) dent in the bow of the MACKINAW on her starboard side. Shortly after the accident, Captain Donald Triner, the commanding officer of the MACKINAW, was temporarily relieved of duty pending an investigation into the accident. The accident did not delay the ship's scheduled arrival in her new home port; she arrived on December 17, 2005. Captain Triner was later permanently relieved of duty and replaced by Captain Michael Hudson, who was replaced in turn by Commander John Little in April 2006. CDR Scott J. Smith assumed command in July 2008 and was relieved by CDR Michael J. Davanzo in Aug, 2011. In June 2014, CDR Vasilios Tasikas assumed command. In June 2017, CDR John Stone assumed command. The MACKINAW is stationed at Cheboygan, Michigan. It can be seen and toured at Grand Haven's Coast Guard Festival every summer. The ship was also featured on the television series Modern Marvels. Katmai Bay, stationed at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, helps the USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30) in ice breaking duties.
2019 In service.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Mackinaw_(WLBB-30) en internet.
Guinea 2018 50000 FG sgMS?, scott?

In the margin you see a freefall lifeboat and a helicopter picking up survivors. I have been sailing on ships fitted with a freefall lifeboat and in my eyes she are the best system for a lifeboat to get safely and very quickly of a vessel.

Wikipedia gives for the freefall lifeboat:
Some ships have a freefall lifeboat stored on a downward sloping slipway normally on the stern of the vessel. These freefall lifeboats drop into the water when the holdback is released. Such lifeboats are considerably heavier as they are strongly constructed to survive the impact with water. Freefall lifeboats are used for their capability to launch nearly instantly, and high reliability in any conditions. Since 2006 they have been required on bulk carriers that are in danger of sinking too rapidly for conventional lifeboats to be released. Seagoing oil rigs are also customarily equipped with this type of lifeboat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeboat_(shipboard)
$post_attachment_names[$j]

DELIGRAD paddle steamer

The full index of our ship stamp archive

DELIGRAD paddle steamer

Postby aukepalmhof » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:36 pm

tmp11B.jpg
Click image to view full size
Kurier%20Bild293.jpg
Click image to view full size
At the 1948 Danube Conference it was agreed between Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia that the river transport along the Danube River should be free and equal for all freighters from all countries and that the necessary river dues should be uniform for all countries. The Danube convention between the littoral states was concluded at Belgrade.
Yugoslavia issued in 1948 a uniform set showing a bridge and steamers under which the former Royal yacht KRAJINA. sg 582/85.

On 14 December 1979, Yugoslavia issued a set of stamps where the motifs were chosen by the advertising manager of the Yugoslavia River Shipping, depicting historic Danube river steamers.
The DELIGRAD with a displacement of 45 ton, dim. 58 x 7.10m. Powered by a steam engine of 100 hp.
She was named after the Battle of Deligrad in which the Serbian got a victory over the Turkish forces in 1806.
She was the first steamer to sail the Danube under Serbian flag in 1862. She was one of the first ships of the domestic river fleet and a pioneer vessel of the Serbian Shipping Company; she was purchased from Russia along with eight barges and played a historic role in the liberation from Turkish rule.
March 1867, Prince Mihalja Obrenovic sailed on her to Constantinople to receive from the Sultan of Turkey the liberation “firman”; a month later the Turkish Pasha, Ali Riza (other source Ziza) accompanied by the remnants of the Turkish army, left Belgrade for ever, again on the DELIGRAD.
She became a hospital ship, transporting the wounded from the Drina to Belgrade during the 1876-1878 wars. Along with many other ships of the domestic river fleet was she destroyed soon after the outbreak of World War I.

Yugoslavia 1979 4d90 sg1910, scott?

Source: from a leaflet supplied by the Yugoslavia Post. Navicula and some web-sites.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5983
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: DELIGRAD paddle steamer

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:57 pm

From Mr. Raul Antero Macedo da Fonseca I received the following update on the DELIGRAD.

The DELIGRAD

After the victory of the Austrian Empire of the Kingdom of Sardinia, which tried to expel the Austrians from the Kingdom Lombardo-Veneto, the Imperial Government decided to establish a wide network of navigation for transport of passengers, cargo and troops along the Valley of the Po River. Appealed to the Austrian Lloyd (Osterreichischer Lloyd), founded in 1836, to reorganize her navigation system throughout Northern Italy, including the Po Valley and the Ticino River to Milan, Chioggia and Venice lagoon to Lake Maggiore and the region of Trieste. Subsequently, this large network of passenger and cargo transport has been extended to the Bojana River and to Lake Skadar (Albania) and the Danube to the Black Sea.

To this purpose, Austrian Lloyd went on to acquire in France, Switzerland and the Netherlands passenger steamers, tugs and barges. In France, they ordered by Schneider et Cie , Le Creusot, three tugs: PIACENZA, PAVIA and FERRARA. The PIACENZA was sold in 1862 to the Serbian Government and renamed DELIGRAD.

The PIACENZA was completed in 1853 and arrived the same year in Trieste. It was a steel hulled tug, 420 (GRT). 50 metres long, 6.7 m wide (15 m. over paddle-boxes), 1.0 meter draft and fitted with 150HP steam engine.

The PIACENZA sailed on the Po River until the summer of 1861, when she left with 10 small barges to the lower Danube, where Austrian Lloyd was operating a service between Galatsi and Braila.

By that time, as the Franco−Serbian Company had failed in its purpose to establish a shipping service in the region, the Principality of Serbia decided to buy a steamship for its own needs, and PIACENZA was bought in Galatsi, along with eight barges.

At that time she carried two cannons.

In charge of business was Captain Franja Franosović, who hired Captain Božo Radoničić to command the DELIGRAD to Belgrade, in the capacity of second captain. On 15 July 1862, renamed DELIGRAD, she sailed of Galatsi towards Belgrade and, three days later, arrived in Kusjak, at the time an important river port, but could not proceed because of the low level of the Danube at that time. The ship and the crew remained there, and later, they stayed in Brza Palanka in order to protect the ship from ice that was floating on the Danube, until March 1863.

In the spring and summer of 1864, she transported coal from Dobra to Belgrade, serving various ministries and Serb institutions. In addition to its main function – towing barges and cargo ships carrying food, fuel and other commodities, the DELIGRAD was occasionally used as a passenger ship. On the Christian holiday Pentecost in May 1865, it transported passenger’s free-of-charge from the Sava port in Belgrade to the national holiday celebration in Topčider and back again. Even Prince Mihailo Obrenović occasionally used the DELIGRAD. In June 1864, he used her to travel to Dubravica, from where he travelled by road to visit flood-struck regions throughout Serbia. In the spring of 1865, the Prince and Princess travelled on the DELIGRAD to Šabac to attend the Šabac horse races.

Years later, the DELIGRAD also participated in an important military mission, transporting along with their barges Turkish troops that were abandoning the Principality.

The DELIGRAD was redesigned in 1895 and refitted into a passenger ship, operating between Belgrade and Radujevac (Negotin, Bor).

06 April 1914 was sunk by her own crew.

Sources:
KAROVIĆ, Gordana. Establishing Steam Navigation in the Principality of Serbia.
Id. DELIGRAD, the First Steamship of the Principality of Serbia.

VERONESI, Mario. La Navigazione a Vapore sul Fiume Po.

CHERINI, Aldo & NIGIDO, Manlio. La Navigazione sul Fiume Po e il Contributo del Lloyd Austriaco.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5983
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 66 guests

cron