ZOYA KOSMODEMYANSKAYA

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

ZOYA KOSMODEMYANSKAYA

Post by aukepalmhof » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:35 pm

From Mr. Jung I did receive the following on this stamp of Russia.
The stamp is issued to commemorate that 200 years ago in 1789 the city of Nikolaev in Ukraine was founded.
The inscription on the left is translated from Russian and says: Award of the city rights to Nikolayev, the same inscription is on the left but then in Ukrainian.
The town was founded in 1789 by the Russian Governor General of Novorossiya, Prince Grigori Potemkin, initially as a shipyard called simply a New Shipyard on the Ingul river. Kniaz Potemkin signed an order to construct a shipyard on August 27, 1789, which is considered to be the city's birth date. The shipyard was to undertake the repair of naval ships in the Russo-Turkish War (1787–1792). Later Potemkin ordered the shipyard to be named Nikolaev to commemorate the date when Ochakov fell to the Russian troops under his command on December 6, 1788, close to the day of Saint Nicholas (Nikolay) December 19, in the Russian Orthodox Church calendar.
The history of the city has always been closely connected to ship building.
By Watercraft Philately is given that the bulker depict in the foreground of the stamp is the OKEAN but not any bulker under that name has ever sailed. I believe the bulker depict on the stamp is one built on the Okean Shipyard. I found a maximum card of the stamp, which give that the ZOYA KOMODEMYANSKAYA is depict.
She was the first of 8 bulk carriers built on that yard.
Built under yard No 151 by the Okean Shipyard, Nikolaev for the Russian Government.
Launched as the ZOYA KOSMODEMYANSKAYA.
Tonnage 30,070 grt, 18,889 nrt, 49,999 dwt, dim. 214.2 x 31.8 x 11.7m. (draught).