The San Juan Nepomuceno, 2700 tons, was constructed in the Royal Shipyard at Guarnizo (Santander), Spain, and launched in 1765. During the same period, the San Pascual, the Asis, the San Lorenzo, the Santo Domingo and the San Agustin were built as twin ships. The San Juan Nepomuceno was a solidly built ship of proven seaworthy qualities. l:59,84m. l.keel:52,73m. br:15,65m. depth:7,82m.
It was outfitted with a total of 74 cannons (28-24 pound , 30-18 pound, 8-12 pound, and 8-8 pound), and was manned by 8 officers, 11 midshipmen, 19 leading seamen, and 492 able seamen. It's supply capacity was for 60 days victuals and 80 days water. It rendered numerous important services to the Armada (Fleet), some of them in the Caribbean where it participated in several sleges and was distinguished in 1779. The battle of Trafalgar is the historical feat in which it participated and of which we have the best account. In spite of being unmasted by Admiral Nelson's artillery on the 21 October 1805, it achieved glory in this battle under the command of the celebrated brigadier Don Cosme Damian Churruca and constituted for the Spaniards a handsome example of the heroism of their race and the bravery of their sailors. While the wounded Admiral Nelson continued to direct the battle, the Brigadler Churruca, whose leg had been torn off by a howitzer, the deck of his ship covered in the blood of his wounded and dead, continued to voice the command "Fire!". However, unable to break the circle of fire formed by the six enemy ships, which counted among others with the famous Defiance, Tonnant and Dreadnought, the San Juan Nepomuceno yielded with over 400 dead and injured on board. The English obtained the victory but paid a high price in lives and material.
(Paraguay 1987, Gs1, StG.?; Spain 1976, 7 Pes. StG.2352; 1995, 19 Pes. StG.MS3321a)
The full index of our ship stamp archive
2 posts • Page 1 of 1