The city of Papeete owes its existence to its port and the history of their development is intertwined. The Port of Papeete started to grow from the first half of the 18th century thanks, on the one hand to the hospitality of its roadstead protected from winds and sea currents, and on the other hand, due to the fact that large quantities of water were available, hence the name “Papeete”. At the end of the 18th century, the European circumnavigators noticed that Papeete roadstead provided an excellent mooring site, accessible through a natural pass, protected by a barrier reef and offering a wide and deep body of water. The port of Papeete rapidly became a major port of call, visited in the middle of the 19th century by many whale ships and by schooners trading with the outer islands. The development of the city progressively gained momentum from 1850 to 1900, and in 1860 the first landing stages were constructed. By the end of the 19th century, the first quay “the cruise-ship quay” located at the heart of the city of Papeete was built in order to accommodate ocean-going vessels. In the 1960s, the tranquil local life was shattered by the opening of Tahiti Faa’a airport and the settlement of the Pacific Nuclear Experiment Centre (CEP) in 1962. The public institution “Port Authority of Papeete” was established on 05 January 1962 in order to carry out the large-scale works required by major economic changes. In 2002, the Port Authority of Papeete celebrated its fortieth year of existence. Forty years of history and evolution at the service of French Polynesia during which it played a crucial role for the economy. Port activity is indeed an indicator of the country’s economic health.
French Polynesian Post.
The stamp was issued to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Papeete Port.
The stamp shows around 15 vessels, with in the foreground 4 cruise vessels, which haven been identified from left to the right AMADEA, TAHITIAN PRINCESS, ALBATROS and MAXIM GORKIY, only the TAHITIAN PRINCESS has not appeared on a stamp before. Her details and history are given below.
(Who can identify the other vessels depict on the stamp/photo?)
http://www.portdepapeete.pf/2010/03/le- ... mage00061/
Built as a cruise vessel under yard No O31 by Chantiers de l’Atlantoque, St Nazaire, France for a Group of French investors and managed by Renaissance Cruises, Monrovia, Liberia.
19 December 1997 laid down.
13 May 1999 launched as the R FOUR, seven sisters.
Tonnage 30,277 grt, 11,481 net, 2,700 dwt., dim 181.0 x 25.46 x 5.80m. (draught), length bpp 157.9m.
Powered by four Wärtsilä 12V32 diesel engines, manufactured by Alstom Moteurs, 18,342 hp. (13,500 kW), speed 18 knots.
Bunker capacity 931.6m³
Accommodation for 702 passengers.
22 October 1999 completed. Building cost £150 million.
December 1999 was she christened in Fort Lauderdale, where after she sailed to Tahiti to make cruises from Papeete in the Pacific Ocean. Mainly she makes cruises around the French Polynesian Islands, Society Islands, Cook Islands, Marquesas Islands and to Hawaii, during the summer season makes some cruises to Alaska.
September 2001 arrested in Uturoa after Renaissance was declared bankrupt, and the creditors seized the ship, together with her sisters.
October 2001 sold to Princess Cruises, Gibraltar and renamed TAHITIAN PRINCESS.
18 November 2002 made her first cruise from Sydney, otherwise cruising in the Pacific Ocean and to Alaska.
12 January 2009 transferred to Princess Cruise Lines Ltd., Hamilton, Bermuda.
December 2009 renamed on OCEAN PRINCESS.
2012 Same name and owners, IMO No 9187899.
2016 Sold to Sirena Acquisition, Miami, FL and renamed SIRENA.
2019 Same name and owners, IMO No 9187899. Homeport Marshall Islands.
French Polynesia 2012 100F sg?, scott?
Solomon Islands 2017 10$ sg?, scott 2363d
Tonga 2013 $1.75 sg?, scott?
Source: Marine News. Wikipedia http://www.faktaomfartyg.nu/r_four_1999.htm
The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1