ADEN 1856

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

ADEN 1856

Post by aukepalmhof » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm

I believe and Mr. Crichton also that it is an artistic license of a ship depict on this stamp from a much later date. From Mr. Huang Guojian from China I got that China sources give she is the ex P& O Liner ADEN built in 1856. She was the first ship owned by the China Merchant Steam Navigation Co. in Shanghai.
I have the book P&O a Fleet History by the World Ship Society the book did not have a photo of the ship, so I am very suspicious if the ship depict is the right vessel, all the P& O liners from that time were built with a clipper bow and one funnel and were rigged as a sailing vessel. And when the World Ship Society not has a photo of the ship most probably there exist not one. I believe the ship depict is from a much later date than 1856.

From China post comes:

An issuance ceremony of special stamps by China Post commemorating the 140th anniversary of China Merchants, organized by the Merchants Group and China Post, was held at the National Museum of China in Beijing on October 26. 2012

The special stamps include three with the titles "Establishing Business by Pujiang River", "Development at Shekou", and "Making Greater Achievements".

China Merchants, established in 1872 when China was still in the late Qing Dynasty, is China's first enterprise of China's modern history. It has experienced 140 years of development, symbolizing the uncommon development history of China's national enterprises. It is a good representative of China's national business and industry, which has established China's first modern industrial zone, the Shekou Industrial Zone in Shenzhen in south China's Guangdong Province since the opening-up and reform of China in the late 1970s. It has now developed into a large corporate group with key businesses in transportation, finance and real estate in the new century.

The following URL has ADEN history under P&O flag: http://www.poheritage.com/Content/Mimsy ... 856pdf.pdf

Built as a passenger-cargo liner by the yard of Summers Day & Co., Northam, Southampton for the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O).
21 May 1856 launched as the DELTA.
Tonnage 812 gross, 507 net, dim. 78.49 x 9.08 x 5.63m