Eagle of Lubeck 1567

The full index of our ship stamp archive
Post Reply
Anatol
Posts: 783
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Eagle of Lubeck 1567

Post by Anatol » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:39 pm

North Korea has launched a postage stamp in 1983 the Eagle of Lubeck with the value specified 50 Chon on the market.
The Eagle of Lubeck, and The Great Eagle or Lubscher eagle called, was a warship of the Hanseatic city of Lubeck in the 16th Century. She was with a length overall of approximately 78.30 meters and an estimated displacement of 1,000 to 2,000 t one of the largest ships of its time.
The Eagle of Lubeck in 1565 by the ship builder Sylvester Franke (also: Francke) placed on a building site at the Travelodge on keel. [A. 5] was commissioned by the city of Lubeck, which was located in the Northern War with Sweden, and after losing their previous flagship angel [A. 6] needed a new lead ship. The main task of the eagle should be to merchant ships of the Hanseatic League in the Baltic and North Sea to provide escort. As early as March 1566 could be left the ship from the deck and placed on completion the following year in service. Took over the command of the eagle as the new flagship to 1569, the later mayor of Lübeck John Brockes (also: Brokes) and from 1570 the councilor John of Wickede.

The eagle was found in 1567 as a lead ship of Lubeck in the Northern War against Sweden in service, but no longer reached the planned combat. With nearly 150 artillery tubes on three gun decks, the warship, which is regarded as a mixed type of galleon and carrack, the design of the subsequent three-decker was already quite close. The viermastige rigging up to around 62 meters took the dimensions of the subsequent era of battleships largely anticipated.
Ships of the 16th Century were painted only behave as permanent colors were expensive at the time and the purpose of the ships in the foreground. The Great Eagle had in the front and in the rear of clinker a horizontally changing paint in red and white colors of the city of Lubeck. [A. 16] The upper sides of the back and the aft ship adorned coats of arms that were held in a red-and-white or showed a black, double-headed eagle on a golden background.
After the war ended in 1570, the eagle was converted to freighter and used among other things for the salt trade with derIberischen peninsula where the operation actually unsuitable for cargo ship leak finally struck in 1581 and was scrapped.

North Korea1983 SG?
Source: wikipedia
Attachments
img0322.jpg

Post Reply