Built as a screw corvette by Onohama, Kobe Navy yard in Kobe for the Imperial Japanese Navy.
23 November 1883 keel laid down.
01 May 1885 launched as the YAMATO one of the Katsuragi class.
Displacement 1,476 ton normal, dim. 62.78 x 10.7 x 4.6m. (draught), length bpp.61.26m.
Powered by one Katsuragi horizontally-compound reciprocating engine, 1,622 ihp, speed 13 knots.
Bunker capacity 145 ton coal.
Armament 2 – 170mm Krupp breech loading guns, 5 – 120mm, 1 – 80mm guns and 4 – quadruple 1 inch Nordenfelt guns. 2 – 380mm torpedo tubes.
16 November 1888 commissioned.
YAMATO was the second vessel in the three ship Katsuragi-class of three composite hulled, sail-and-steam corvettes of the early Imperial Japanese Navy. It was named for Yamato province, the old name for Nara prefecture and the historical heartland of Japan. The name was used again for the very famous World War II battleship YAMATO, commissioned in 1941.
YAMATO was designed as an iron-ribbed, wooden-hulled, three-masted bark-rigged sloop-of-war with a coal-fired double-expansion reciprocating steam engine with six cylindrical boilers driving a single screw. Her basic design was based on experience gained in building the KAIMON and TENRYÜ sloops, but was already somewhat obsolescent in comparison to contemporary European warships when completed. However, unlike her sister ships KATSURAGI and MUSASHI, which were built by the government-owned Yokosuka Naval Arsenal. Yamato was built by the Onohama Shipyards, in Kobe. Her first captain was future Fleet Admiral Tōgō Heihachirō.
YAMATO saw combat service in the First Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895, patrolling between Korea, Dairen and Weihaiwei. She was also at the Battle of Yalu RIver in a reserve capacity in the Western Sea Fleet.
On 21 March 1898, YAMATO was designated as a third-class gunboat, and was used for coastal survey and patrol duties.
They were refitted in 1900 when the barque-rig was removed and the vessel rearmed with 8 - 2½ pdr QF guns and 6 MG. The torpedo tubes were replaced by 18 inch tubes.
1907 Re-armed with 4 – 3 inch and 4 – 50mm guns.
During the Russo-Japanese War, YAMATO served as a guard ship patrolling the Kanmon Straits between Honshū and Kyūshū off of Shimonoseki. On 28 August 1912, she was reclassified as a second class coastal patrol vessel, and was assigned to coastal survey duties. On 1 April 1922, she was officially re-designated as a survey vessel, and her armament was replaced by two 8-inch guns. During the course of its surveys, YAMATO discovered a seamount in the Sea of Japan, which was named after it.
On 1 April 1935, YAMATO was retired from navy service and demilitarized. Her hulk was obtained by the Ministry of Justice and relocated to Uraga where she was used as a floating prison and training vessel for juvenile offenders. It was towed to Yokohama harbor during World War II, but was swamped in a typhoon in September 1945 at the mouth of the Tsurumi River in Tokyo Bay. Her hulk was raised and scrapped in 1950.
Gambia 2000 D20 sg?, scott? With thanks to Mr. Naylor for the stamp image.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_corvette_Yamato Conway’s All the world’s Fighting Ships 1860-1905.
The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1