Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

KILDANGAN HMS 1918

The full index of our ship stamp archive

KILDANGAN HMS 1918

Postby aukepalmhof » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 pm

HMS_Kildangan_IWM_Q_043387.jpg
Click image to view full size
2015 kildangan.jpg
Click image to view full size
2015.2.2 PAL1502SH.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a sloop under yard No 853 by Cochrane & Sons, Selby, U.K. for the Royal Navy.
15 March 1918 launched as the HMS KILDANGAN, she was one of the Kill-class.
Displacement 895 ton, dim. 55.5 x 9.1 x 3.20m. (draught)
Powered by one reciprocating steam engine, 1,400 hp, one shaft, speed 13 knots.
Armament 1 – 4 inch gun and 12 depth-charges.
Crew 57
September 1918 completed.
If she had any war service is doubtful.
Wikipedia gives the following on the class:
The Kil class were designed to counter the U-boat threat posed by the Imperial German Navy during the First World War. They were designed to be equipped with hydrophones and depth charges to detect and destroy enemy submarines before they posed a threat to allied convoys. The class began to be launched towards the end of 1917. So they could be constructed, an order for 85 anti-submarine trawlers was cancelled across six shipyards in order to free up enough berths for the building of the Kil class. Each ship took around six months to be constructed. Ships in the class were named after villages in Scotland and Ireland beginning with "Kil".
Similar to the 24-class sloop, the ships were built with a double ended design in order to confuse enemy submarine observers who were trying to work out which direction the ships were due to travel in. They had a single central funnel, and deckhouses both fore and aft were designed to be similar in order to enhance the effect. The class were painted in dazzle camouflage.
The class entered service after the main threat of the U-boats had passed, and therefore their effectiveness in anti-submarine warfare cannot be determined. Only 38 of the 85 ships ordered were completed by the time the Armistice with Germany was signed on 11 November 1918. The ships were put into reserve following the war, and were put up for sale by the Admiralty.
14 February 1920 sold to Robinson, Brown & Joplin (B.Burletson), Newcastle renamed in BEBSIDE and converted to a cargo vessel.
1922 Sold to Johann M.K. Blumenthal, Hamburg, Germany and renamed JOHANN.
1925 Sold to Pietro Schenone, Leghorn, Italy and renamed LABRONE.
1928 Sold to SA di Nav. L’Argonauta, Genoa. Italy and renamed ANITA. She was converte to a motor vessel, a new 4-cyl. oil engine was installed manufactured by Bolinder, Stockholm, 192 nhp.
1930 Sold to Banca Casareto, Genoa (most probably the mortgage holder), not renamed.
1939 Sold to Adolfo Calzi, Trieste, Italy not renamed.
1940 Sold to Soc. Italiana Ernesto Breda, Venice, Italy renamed in GIOVANNI MARIA.
10 January 1941 on a voyage from Derna for Tobruk was she running on a mine 12 mile off Tobruk and sunk.

Palau 2015 $1.20 sg?, scott?
Source: Wikipedia. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz Lloyds Registry various years.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 6831
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 82 guests

cron