SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.

Allahabad is a city on 3 rivers.

Allahabad is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, situated at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers.The name is derived from the one given to the city by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1583. The name in Indian languages generally is Ilahabad. The ancient name of the city is Prayāga (Sanskrit for "place of sacrifice") and is believed to be the spot where Brahma offered his first sacrifice after creating the world. It is one of four sites of the Kumbh Mela, the others being Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik. It has a position of importance in the Hindu religion and mythology since it is situated at the confluence of the holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and Hindu belief says that the invisible Sarasvati River joins here also. A city of many dimensions is what befits a description of Allahabad. In addition to being a major pilgrimage centre, the city has played an important part in the formation of modern India. Hindu mythology states that Lord Brahma, the creator god, chose a land for 'Prakrishta Yajna'. This land, at the confluence of three holy rivers - Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, blessed by gods, came to be known as 'Prayag' or 'Allahabad'. Foreseeing the sanctity of the place, Lord Brahma also called it as 'Tirth Raj' or 'King of all pilgrimage centres.' The Scriptures - Vedas and the great epics - Ramayana and Mahabharata, refer to this place as Prayag. Centuries followed. Allahabad became the headquarters of North Western Provinces, after being shifted from Agra. Well preserved relics of the British impact includes the Muir College and the All Saints Cathedral. Many important events in India's struggle for freedom, took place here - the emergence of the first Indian National Congress in 1885, the beginning of Mahatma Gandhi's non-violence movement in 1920. This confluence of history, culture and religion makes Allahabad, a unique city.
India 2011;500,500; Source:http://wikimapia.org/9805493/Allahabad.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

NIAGARA brig 1813

The full index of our ship stamp archive

NIAGARA brig 1813

Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:27 pm

Niagara_full_sail.jpg
Click image to view full size
2015 niagara.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a wooden brig for the USA Government on a shipyard near Lake Erie. She was ordered on 31 December 1812.
04 July 1813 launched as the NIAGARA.
Tonnage in 1813: 492 ton burthen, dim. ?
Brig rigged.
Armament 18 – 32 pdrs. 2 – 12 pfrs. guns.
Crew 165.

The US Brig NIAGARA or the Flagship NIAGARA, is a wooden-hulled brig that served as the relief flagship for Oliver Hazard Perry in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. It is one of the last remaining ships from the War of 1812. The NIAGARA is usually docked behind the Erie Maritime Museum in downtown Erie in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania as an outdoor exhibit for the museum, but travels the Great Lakes during the summer, serving as an ambassador of Pennsylvania when not docked. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and was designated the official state ship of Pennsylvania by the Pennsylvania General Assembly in 1988.
The NIAGARA was constructed from 1812 to 1813 to protect the vulnerable American coastline on Lake Erie from the British and played a pivotal role in the battle for the lake. Along with most of warships that served in the war, the NIAGARA was sunk for preservation on Presque Isle in 1820. Raised in 1913, it was rebuilt for the centennial of the Battle of Lake Erie. After deteriorating, restoration of the NIAGARA was started again in the 1930s, but was hampered by the lack of funds caused by the Great Depression and remained uncompleted until 1963. A more extensive restoration was carried out in 1988 in which much of the original ship was largely destroyed. The incorporation of new materials and modern equipment makes it ambiguous as to whether it is or is not a replica.
Construction
In the beginning of September 1812, Daniel Dobbins, a merchant on the Great Lakes, arrived in Washington, D.C. to warn the United States government of the vulnerability of the Lake Erie coastline to a British attack. Dobbins had been captured by the British after a surprise attack at Fort Mackinac in Michigan, but was able to negotiate his release. Dobbins was briefly detained again by the British in Detroit after the city was captured. After several days of discussions with president James Madison and Secretary of the Navy Paul Hamilton, Dobbins convinced them that the safest place to build a fleet was in the sheltered bay formed by Presque Isle at Erie, Pennsylvania. On 15 September, Hamilton authorized Dobbins to construct four gunboats. Hamilton also granted $2,000 to be used for the construction and appointed Dobbins, a civilian, to the rank of sailing master in the United States Navy. On 31 December, Captain Isaac Chauncey, the commander of naval forces on Lake Ontario, arrived in Erie for a day, made some alterations to Dobbins' ship design and authorized him to build, additionally, two brigs. Oliver Hazard Perry was promoted to Commodore in February 1813 and was given orders to report to Erie from Newport, Rhode Island. Perry arrived in Erie on 26 March, after being held up in Sackets Harbor, New York for two weeks by Chauncey in case of a possible attack by the British.
The construction of the fleet was largely supervised by Noah Brown, a shipwright brought in from New York City. The keels of two brigs were each constructed out of a single 14-by-18-inch (360 mm × 460 mm) black oak log. Due to a lack of iron, the timbers that made up the hulls were joined using wooden pins called treenails. In place of the oakum and pitch normally used to caulk ships, lead was used. The timbers used in the brigs were still green, as the builders did not have the luxury of time to allow the wood to dry properly. A total of 65 cannons were shipped to Erie to arm the fleet; Hamilton approved the production of 37 cannons by a foundry in Washington, D.C. and the rest were moved from Sackets Harbor. The TIGRESS and PORCUPINE and the Porcupine were launched in April 1813, the SCORPION in May, and the brig LAWRENCE on 25 June. The NIAGARA was launched on 4 July along with the ARIEL
One of the strategic advantages of building a fleet in Erie was that the bay formed by Presque Isle was cut off from the Lake Erie by a sandbar, which prevented British warships from being able to enter the bay. The brigs NIAGARA and LAWRENCE both had a draft of 9 feet (2.7 m), which was too deep to cross the sandbar. On 4 August, the NIAGARA i was pulled onto the sandbar using its anchor in a technique called kedging and was lightened by removing its cannons and ballast. A pair of 90-by-40-foot (27 by 12 m) barges, called "camels", were placed on either side of the ship. The camels were sunk and secured to the NIAGARA. The water was pumped out of the camel, lifting the ship. By the following day, the NIAGARA was safely over the sandbar an. During the construction, the area was usually under daily surveillance by the British. On the day the LAWRENCE crossed the sandbar, a pair of British warships, the QUEEN CHARLOTTE and the LADY PREVOST, observed for an hour and failed to notice the actions of Perry.[
War of 1812
On 6 August, Perry ordered a shakedown cruise of the fleet, now totaling ten after the inclusion of three merchant vessels—the SOMERS, THE TRIPPE and the OHIO, that were converted into warships and the CALEDONIA , which was captured from the British. Lieutenant Daniel Turner was placed in command of the NIAGARA for the cruise, as the fleet was still seriously undermanned; Dobbins had even written a letter, directed to Secretary Hamilton, out of desperation back in December 1812. Word arrived on 8 August that Jesse Elliott was en route to Erie from Black Rock, New York with 89 men. Elliott was promoted to commodore and given command of the NIAGARA after arriving in Erie on 10 August.
On 17 August, Perry's fleet anchored off of Sandusky, Ohio, and dispatched a boat to inform General William Henry Harrison of their presence. Harrison and his staff met with Perry aboard the ships the next day and agreed to a rendezvous in Put-in-Bay. In Put-in-Bay, Harrison made available 100 "Kentucky and frontier riflemen" to serve on board as Marines. Before the fleet made a stopover at Fort Amherstburg, Canada to gather intelligence, where the British fleet, under the command of Commodore Robert Heriot Barclay, was based. While Perry's fleet was under construction, Barclay had ordered the construction of the HMS DETROIT, which was to be a match for the NIAGARA i and the LAWRENCE. Unbeknownst to Perry, supplies in Fort Amherstburg were running out, as his fleet had cut off shipments from Long Point. Fearing an uprising caused by a shortage of food, Barclay and his fleet set sail as soon as the DETROIT was complete.
Battle of Lake Erie
On 10 September, both fleets got underway. The DETROIT fired the first shot around noon, while still out of range. Perry formed the fleet into a line, with the larger ships each being assigned a target: the LAWRENCE to the DETROIT, the NIAGARA to the QUEEN CHARLOTTE, and the CALEDONIA to the HUNTER. As the line moved to engage, the NIAGARA under the command of Elliott, lagged behind the fleet. The cause of the failure of the NIAGARA to maintain formation is unknown, either deliberate on the part of Elliott, or because it was becalmed. After a couple of hours, all of the cannons on the LAWRENCE that were facing the British were out of commission and the brig could no longer be maneuvered. Perry lowered his battle flag, emblazoned with the last words of Captain James Lawrence, "Don't Give Up The Ship", and transferred to the still-intact NIAGARA via a small rowboat. Perry took command of the NIAGARA and crossed the British line perpendicularly in a tactic called crossing the "T". The QUEEN CHARLOTTE, while attempting to prevent the NIAGARA from breaking through the line, collided with the DETROIT and became entangled. The NIAGARA opened fire with both broadsides: the starboard broadside hitting the QUEEN CHARLOTTE and the DETROIT, and the port into the LADY PREVOST. After several broadsides, the QUEEN CHARLOTTE surrendered, followed shortly after by the DETROIT and the rest of the British fleet.
After the battle, the NIAGARA assisted in the transporting of Harrison's army to the mouth of the Detroit River in preparation for an invasion of southwest Ontario. On 25 April 1814, command of the NIAGARA was transferred to Arthur Sinclair. After repairs, the fleet—consisting of the NIAGARA, the LAWRENCE, the CALEDONIA, the SCORPION and the TIGRESS—departed Erie for Detroit. In Detroit, soldiers under the command of Colonel George Croghan embarked with the fleet, bound for Mackinac Island. The fleet arrived on 26 July and landed on 4 August. The battle was ultimately lost, with Croghan being forced to retreat back to his boats. On 13 August, the fleet arrived at the mouth of the Nottawasaga River where they attacked a blockhouse owned by the North West Company. The blockhouse was destroyed by the British, along with the schooner NANCY , to prevent their supplies from being captured.
After the Treaty of Ghent was signed, ending the war, the majority of the surviving ships that participated in the Battle of Lake Erie were disposed of in 1815. The QUEEN CHARLOTTE, the DETROIT and LAWRENCE were sunk for preservation in Misery Bay on Presque Isle, whereas the NIAGARA was kept afloat and operated as a receiving ship It was sunk in 1820 when the naval station at Presque Isle was closed. Benjamin H. Brown of Rochester, New York bought all four ships in 1825, but sold them in 1836 to George Miles of Erie. Miles raised the ships, planning on using them as merchant vessels. The LAWRENCE and the NIAGARA, not having a large enough hold and being in poor condition, were allowed to sink again.
Centennial
As part of celebrations for the centennial of the Battle of Lake Erie, the NIAGARA was raised from Misery Bay in April 1913. Its keel was found to be in good enough condition for the brig to be rebuilt. Efforts to rebuild the NIAGARA were hampered by the lack of original plans. The restored NIAGARA was launched on 7 June, complete with a new bowsprit, rigging and reproduction cannons supplied by the Boston Navy Yard. From mid-July to mid-September, the NIAGARA was towed to various ports on the Great Lakes—including Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo and Cleveland—by the USS WOLVERINE , the Navy's first iron-hulled warship. Ownership of the NIAGARA was transferred to the City of Erie in 1917, where it remained docked deteriorating.
The City of Erie transferred ownership of the NIAGARA to the newly formed "USS Niagara Foundation" in 1929, which was tasked with "acquiring and restoring the ship and making it the centerpiece of a museum." The onset of the Great Depression forced the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to take ownership, through the Flagship Niagara Commission, two years later. $50,000 was made available for another restoration in 1931, but by 1938 the state stopped its funding, leaving the restoration unfinished. The NIAGARA was transferred to the Pennsylvania Historical Commission, predecessor of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and became a project for the Works Progress Administration. The Historical Commission contracted Howard I. Chapelle to draw up plans for another restoration of the NIAGARA, based on other period ships that were built by Noah Brown, like the . According to Chapelle, very little of the original NIAGARA remained, as parts of it had been sold as souvenirs, and the 1913 reconstruction was not accurate to the period. The hull of the NIAGARA was launched in October 1943 without any masts, spars, or rigging. It was placed in a concrete cradle in 1951. Discovery of dry rot throughout every part of the NIAGARA made it clear that a complete reconstruction would eventually be needed. Funds were appropriated by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission to make the NIAGARA "presentable" for the sesquicentennial of the Battle of Lake Erie in 1963 with the addition of rigging and cannons. The NIAGARA was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 11 April 1973.
Museum ship
In 1981, the Flagship Niagara League was formed with intent of reconstructing the NIAGARA so that it would be a working ship, instead of an "outdoor museum piece". The organization was eventually incorporated a non-profit organization associated with the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Melbourne Smith, builder of the Pride of Baltimore, was hired in 1986 by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission to head the reconstruction. The decay of the NIAGARA was so bad that it was dismantled and ultimately destroyed, with various timbers salvaged and used in non-structural areas of the ship. The destruction of the old ship and use of new wood often leads the NIAGARA to be considered a replica. While the first NIAGARA was built hurriedly, the new NIAGARA was built out of properly seasoned and preserved yellow pine and Douglas fir. The new NIAGARA i was launched on 10 September 1988, but was not completed until 18 July 1990 when its sea trials were held. The Pennsylvania General Assembly designated the NIAGARA as the official flagship of Pennsylvania on 29 April 1988 and described its purpose as being a "sailing ambassador for Pennsylvania".In March 2008, the yellow pine mainmast was replaced with one of Douglas fir.
The NIAGARA is one of two remaining vessels that served in the War of 1812, the second being the USS CONSTITUTION. The United States Coast Guard certified the NIAGARA as a Sailing School Vessel in August 2005. For safety reasons, the NIAGARA was equipped with modern equipment such as auxiliary diesel engines, lifeboats, radar, LORAN and radio.
Tonnage 162 gt, Displacement 302 ton, dim. 33.7 x 9.8 x 2.7m. (draught)
Sail area 1,177 m².
Brig rigged.
Auxiliary engines, two diesel engines, 200 hp each
Accommodation for 18 professionals and 24 volunteers
The NIAGARA was also depicted on a commemorative Pennsylvania license plate. In 2009, the Flagship Niagara League assumed day-to-day management of the NIAGARA after a decision by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission to cut $250,000 to fill a budget deficit. The NIAGARA was used to depict the whaleship ESSEX in an episode of the Public Broadcasting Service documentary series American Experience. As part of the bicentennial of the Battle of Lake Erie, the NIAGARA took part in a re-enactment of the battle on September 2, 2013 in Put-In-Bay along with 16 other tall ships.
2015 In service.

Sierra Leone 2015 Le6000 sg?, scott?

http://self.gutenberg.org/article/whebn ... %20niagara%2
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5557
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: NIAGARA brig 1813

Postby Anatol » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:19 pm

img1371.jpg
Click image to view full size
img13741.jpg
Click image to view full size
Guinea 2017;50000fg;SG?In margin of sheet.
Anatol
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: NIAGARA brig 1813 and LAWRENCE

Postby mariof » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:53 pm

The USA stamp"Forever " 2013 Battle of Lake Erie, shows a scene of the battle at the time that Parryl leave the LAWRENCE to head for the NIAGARA. I think then that the ship that looks next to the boat is the LAWRENCE, as Parry moves away from the ship. Wikipedia data "Battle of Lake Erie ". The painting of 1865, author William Henry Powell is the same that shows the stamp. I'd like to hear an opinion. Thank you.
Mario F.Rosner
mariof
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 am

Re: NIAGARA brig 1813

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 am

You are correct Mario she is the LAWRENCE, see.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12770&p=13901&hilit=battle+of+lake+erie#p13901
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5557
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 68 guests