SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.

PORT OF D'OWENDO

In 1978 Gabon issued one stamp for the Port of D’Owendo, with alongside the quay two general cargo vessels, with a lot of deck cargo under which it looks some containers, it were not real container vessels as given by Stanley Gibbons. Of the two vessels I have not any information and so far I known she are not yet identified.

Owendo is a port city in Gabon, forming a south western suburb of Libreville. It lies at the western end of the Trans-Gabon Railway, and was officially opened in 1988. But the port was already in use when the first section of the Trans Gabon Railway was opened between Owendo and Ndjolé in 1978 when the stamp was issued.

Source: wikipedia.
Gabon 1978 50F sg 650, scott 403.

CUBA COAST GUARD 081

The stamp shows us a Cubanian coastguard vessel with pennant No 081 of which I have not any details, more info welcome.
The inscription on the stamp gives: "Detachment Looking at the Sea".

KONDOR CLASS MINESWEEPER

For the 35th Anniversary of the DDR (1949-1984) the East German Post issued three stamps of which the 20p has a maritime theme, it shows us a navy ship of the East Germany Volksmarine what is given by Navicula that she is one of the Kondor II class minesweepers.

Project 89 Kondor Minesweeper, also known as the Kondor class, was a class of minesweepers designed in the German Democratic Republic which was given the NATO designation of "Condor" There were 3 versions, namely, the prototype unit, Project 89.0; the first version, Project 89.1 (NATO designation: Condor I); and the second version, Project 89.2 (NATO designation: Condor II).
The class depict on the stamp was built as Project 89.2 as minesweepers on the Peenewerft in Wolgast, East Germany between 1971 and 1973 for the Volksmarine of the DDR.
The first built was the WOLGAST and commissioned in 1971, in total 30 were built of this class. After Germany was united most were sold to a foreign country, there are still 12 in active service in 2018.
Displacement 449 ton, dim. 56.7 x 7.76 x 2.22m. (draught).
Powered by two MD 40 diesel engines each 2,490 hp, twin shafts, speed 18 kn.
Range 1,900 mile
Armament: 3 – 25mm Flak 2M-3 (AA) carried 24 mines or 24 depth charges.
Crew 30.

The WOLGAST was commissioned 20 May 1971in the Volksmarine, sold to Indonesia in 1990 and still in service by the Indonesian Navy.

Source: Wikipedia and various other web-sites.
East German 1984 20p sg?, scott2429.

WORLD COMMUNICATION YEAR 1983 (DDR)

East Germany issued in 1983 four stamps for the “World Communication Year1983” of which two stamps have a maritime theme.

The 10p depict the radio station Rugen on Rugen Island in the Baltic, with in the distance stylized ships. The nearest is a cargo vessel (coaster) with two holds, the vessel to the right is also a cargo vessel with four holds, while the vessel on the left looks like a supply vessel but a supply vessel has no masts on the aft-deck, it can also be a small ro-ro vessel.

The 20p shows also a stylized four hold cargo vessel.

East Germany 1983 10p and 20p sg E2488 and E2489, scott 2220/21
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Вarque Louisa Craig 1876

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Вarque Louisa Craig 1876

Postby Anatol » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:53 pm

The iron barque Louisa Craig was built as the «Peru» in1876 for J.W.Robertson, esq. She measured 183ft. in length, 30ft. beam, 710 gross tons. Captain James Craig, later owner of Craig lines, was the first master on her maiden voyage to the west coasts of North and South America, then to Buenos Aires and back to the west coast, home to Falmouth for orders and then Hamburg. Captain James Craig handed over command to Captain R. Smith who sailed her round the world, to Adelaide, Valparaiso, Talcahuana and back to Europe, arriving in August 1979. During the next twenty seven years, under various owners, part owners and masters she traded world wide making a number of voyages to New Zealand. In 1906 she came under the flag of J.J.Craig Ltd. and was placed in the trans-Tasman trade. In 1907 her name was changed to the «Louisa Craig» and she was re-painted in the line's livery of painted ports, black bulwarks and grey hull. This accentuated her lines and she was generally admitted to be the most beautiful and striking ship in Australia. She made thirty voyage in the intercolonial trade and one to the Pacific Islands under the ownership of J.J.Craig and then, in 1916 she was sold to G.H.Scales of Wellington and placed in the trans-Pacific trade to the west coast of North America. After her first voyage Scales changed her name to «Raupo». She remained under ownership of G.H.Scales until 1921 when she was laid up in Wellington. In 1922 she was sold as a coal hulk and towed to Lyttelton. After years as a coal hulk she was gradually cut down to the waterline for her iron, and then, in 1937, she was towed to Quail Island in Lyttelton Harbour and beached. The design stamp is made after painting of Roger Morris:«Вarque Louisa Craig sailing up the Northern Wairoa River to Kopu».
Malawi 2011;k250;SG? Source:http://www.seapainter.com/Louisa-Craig.Northern-Wairoa.html
Anatol
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 55 guests