KORTENAER HNLMS 1928

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

KORTENAER HNLMS 1928

Post by aukepalmhof » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:40 pm

I have been looking a little deeper in this issues of the Marshall Islands, “Battle of the Java Sea”, I found that the ship in the foreground is given as Karel Doorman’s flagship DE RUYTER but she is a complete different ship as depict on the stamp.
As given by Watercraft Philately she is the Dutch destroyer HNLMS EVERTSEN.
I was looking at some photos and I agree that she was depict, but the EVERTSEN took not part in the Battle of the Java Sea, but two other ships of that class the Admiralen Class took part, the HNLMS WITTE DE WITH and the KORTENAER. The stamp shows a vessel broken in two and sinking. The WITTE DE WITH survived the battle but the KORTENAER not she was torpedoed and broke in two and sank, that I believe she is depict and not the EVERTSEN. The larger ship in the background on the right of the stamp is the USS HOUSTON (CA-30).

Built as a destroyer by Burgerhout’s Scheepswerf en Machinefabriek, Rotterdam for the Dutch Royal Navy.
24 August 1925 keel laid down.
30 June 1927 launched as HR MS KORTENAER named after the Dutch Admiral Egbert Bartholomeusz Kortenaer (c1604-1665), The KORTENAER was one of the Admiralen class.
Displacement 1,337 ton standard, 1,666 ton full load, dim. 98.1 x 9.53 x 2.97m. (draught)
Powered by Parsons geared turbines, 31,000 hp, twin shafts, speed 36 knots..
Range by a speed of 15 knots, 3,200 mile.
Armament: 4 – 4.7 inch guns, 2 – 3 inc AA guns and 4 – 0,50 caliber MG. 6 – 21 inch torpedo tubes, could carry 24 mines.
Carried one Fokker floatplane but not a catapult, which not was carried during the Battle of the Java Sea.
Crew 149.
03 September 1928 commissioned.

HNLMS KORTENAER (Dutch: Hr.Ms. KORTENAER) was an Admiralen-class destroyer of the Royal Netherlands Navy, named after 17th century Dutch Admiral Egbert Bartholomeusz KORTENAER.
Service history
The ship was laid down on 24 August 1925 at the Burgerhout's Scheepswerf en Machinefabriek in Rotterdam and launched on 30 June 1927. The ship was commissioned on 3 September 1928.
On 11 June 1929 a detachment of marines was sent on KORTENAER to Curaçao after Venezuelan rebels had raided Fort Amsterdam in Willemstad on 8 June.
World War II
In 1940 she and her sister VAN GHENT guarded five German cargo ships. The ships were relieved by the cruiser JAVA 26 April 1940.
She served mostly in the Netherlands East Indies, and when war broke out in 1941between the Netherlands and Japan she was at Surabaya.
She took part in Battle of Badung Strait on 18–20 February 1942, where she ran aground on one of the channel shores after temporarily losing rudder control. It was impossible for the Dutch ship to return to the formation, and they had to wait for the next morning tide to free the ship. KORTENAER was sent to Surabaya for repairs.
She was back in action in time for the Battle of the Java Sea on 27 February 1942, where she was torpedoed at 17:14 by the Japanese cruiser HAGURO. The commanding officer Alexander Sharp of the nearby United States Navy destroyer, USS JOHN D. EDWARDS, recorded that "KORTENAER about 700 yards bearing 80° relative was struck on the starboard quarter by a torpedo, blew up, turned over, and sank at once leaving only a jackknifed bow and stern a few feet above the surface.". The Royal Navy destroyer HMS ENCOUNTER rescued 113 men from the total of 153, including Lieutenant Commander A. Kroese and took them to Surabaya.
The wreck of KORTENAER was finally located in 2004 lying on the seabed broken in two parts.

Marshall Islands 1992 29c sg412, scott300.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_KORTENAER_(1927)
Attachments
Kortenaer.jpg
1992 battle o Java Sea.jpg