KRIPPEN (Germany)

The full index of our ship stamp archive
Post Reply
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
Posts: 870
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

KRIPPEN (Germany)

Post by D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Built in 1892 by Werft Blasewitz, Dresden for the Sächsische Dampfschiffahrts GmbH. Dresden as TETSCHEN.
Sidewheel river steamer, displacement? L:56,10m. B:9,70m. Draught:0,80m. Cornish boiler, oscillating 2 cyl. twin engine with condensation by injection:110 hp. 9 km/h upstream, 14 km/h downstream, passengers:215.

1945:During the war the ship featured a camouflage paint and served as a transport vessel in Dresden.
1946:Name changed to KRIPPEN.
Sold out of the fleet in 1983 to the village of Kloschwitz on the River Saale near Halle for static community use.
Spent a short time out of the water between 1987 and 1991 but damage was being done to the hull in this position.
The intended use did not materialise and she was sold to Mr Friedhelm Stolte of Uelzen.
Returned to Dresden in 1991 where the Laubegast shipyard were to refit her for future use in Dutch waters.
The venture fell through and the refit was halted. In 1992, she was bought by the Junghans family of Meissen.
Again, the refit did not take place, this time due to the Dresden shipyard not having available capacity to undertake the work.
Moved to Lauenburg, near Hamburg, cut into three sections and moved by barge to Oldenburg on the River Hunte.
Restored and fitted with a new oil-fired boiler by the Brand shipyard. Returned to the Elbe via the Mittelland canal.
Re-entered limited service on the Elbe in May 1994 for the Historische Dampfschiffs-Reederei at Meissen.
Doubled up as a floating restaurant.
In June/July 1995, she visited Hamburg and Berlin.
Once again visited Hamburg and Berlin in early 1996. From June she sailed between Bad Schandau and Decin.
Visited Prague in August 1996 and in late 1996 sailed to Dusseldorf, but financial problems were mounting.
KRIPPEN was impounded on the Rhine with bills unpaid.
Chartered to the Köln-Düsseldorfer Rheinschiffahrts AG for service at Frankfurt on the River Main in 1997, beginning on April 19th.
In November 1999 the 5-year charter was cancelled and she was sold to return to the Dresden fleet.
After a 15 day passage, she arrived at Dresden for re-furbishment at the end of November.

(Germany 2012, €0,40, private stamp)
Internet + Historic Ships, Norman J. Brouwer.
Attachments
krippen z.png
Krippen at Dresden in 2004.jpg

Post Reply