SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.

Allahabad is a city on 3 rivers.

Allahabad is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, situated at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers.The name is derived from the one given to the city by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1583. The name in Indian languages generally is Ilahabad. The ancient name of the city is Prayāga (Sanskrit for "place of sacrifice") and is believed to be the spot where Brahma offered his first sacrifice after creating the world. It is one of four sites of the Kumbh Mela, the others being Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik. It has a position of importance in the Hindu religion and mythology since it is situated at the confluence of the holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and Hindu belief says that the invisible Sarasvati River joins here also. A city of many dimensions is what befits a description of Allahabad. In addition to being a major pilgrimage centre, the city has played an important part in the formation of modern India. Hindu mythology states that Lord Brahma, the creator god, chose a land for 'Prakrishta Yajna'. This land, at the confluence of three holy rivers - Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, blessed by gods, came to be known as 'Prayag' or 'Allahabad'. Foreseeing the sanctity of the place, Lord Brahma also called it as 'Tirth Raj' or 'King of all pilgrimage centres.' The Scriptures - Vedas and the great epics - Ramayana and Mahabharata, refer to this place as Prayag. Centuries followed. Allahabad became the headquarters of North Western Provinces, after being shifted from Agra. Well preserved relics of the British impact includes the Muir College and the All Saints Cathedral. Many important events in India's struggle for freedom, took place here - the emergence of the first Indian National Congress in 1885, the beginning of Mahatma Gandhi's non-violence movement in 1920. This confluence of history, culture and religion makes Allahabad, a unique city.
India 2011;500,500; Source:http://wikimapia.org/9805493/Allahabad.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

PIETER WILLEM GROEN (Green)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

PIETER WILLEM GROEN (Green)

Postby aukepalmhof » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Emil_Neumann_-_Blick_auf_Katwijk.jpg
Click image to view full size
2016 Green-0-35p-150h.jpg
Click image to view full size
Green-0-50p-150h.jpg
Click image to view full size
2016 Green-1-00p-150h.jpg
Click image to view full size
2016 Green-1-60p-150h.jpg
Click image to view full size
Pieter Willem Groen (Green) was born in Katwijk aan Zee, Holland on 14th April 1808 to parents Willem Groen and Jaapje Schaap.
The 35p stamp is designed after a painting made by Emil Neumann, “ view of Katwijk” the vessels on the beach are “bom’s” see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11475&p=12256&hilit=bom#p12256
The painting you can see now in the Katwijk Museum, Netherlands

He arrived at Tristan aboard the American schooner EMILY OF STONINGTON, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7742&p=9289&hilit=EMELY#p9289 sailing from New York. She called at Tristan in October 1836 having left 6 of her men on Gough Island with a boat and provisions for six months to capture seals. She anchored near the south east shore but was unfortunately too close and dragged her anchors in a sudden violent storm and was rapidly beaten to pieces on the rocks. Fortunately no lives were lost and the crew made their way round the coast to the settlement, where they were kindly received by William Glass and the community.
The EMILY’s Captain Ash made his way to St Helena and persuaded the US Consul to charter a British rescue ship, the LOUISA. However, when it eventually arrived at Gough and Tristan, most of the crew had already been picked up by the American ship BINGHAM. However three men decided to settle on the island: They were William Daley, an American, Peter Miller (Møller), a Dane and Peter William Green (Pieter Willem Groen), a Dutch native of Katwijk aan Zee, near Amsterdam.
In December he married Mary Jacobs (one of the daughters Sarah Jacobs bought with her from St Helena Island in 1827) although the marriage was not made official until 19th January 1852. “Legal” marriages performed by a clergyman weren’t possible prior to the arrival of the island’s first resident clergyman, Reverend William F. Taylor and so, were performed by the headman, William Glass. Together Peter and Mary had 4 sons and 4 daughters.
When William Glass died on 24th November 1853 he was replaced as headman by Alexander Cotton, with the assistance of Peter Green, until 1857 when Peter Green became the Headman of the island.
During his lifetime the islanders saved the lives of hundreds of shipwrecked sailors. Peter Green was thanked by the British and American Governments and received a personal acknowledgment from the King of Italy. In 1867 he welcomed HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh to the island and it was Peter Green who asked if the settlement could be named after him.
In 1879 he was awarded, on behalf of the community, a gold hunting-cased pocket watch and chain by the President of the United States for assistance in rescuing the passengers and crew of the MABEL CLARK the previous year. In 1880 the Shipwrecked Mariner’s Society awarded him a medal for gallantry for the same rescue.
Then in 1885 the Tristan lifeboat disaster occurred, an event that would make Tristan an “island of widows”. This was a tragedy for both the whole island community and for Peter Green personally (he lost 3 sons, 3 grandsons, 3 brothers-in-law and 1 son-in-law). It is believed that the preservation of the settlement at this crisis was due to the influence of Peter Green, as he was greatly opposed to any idea of migration.
A medallion was presented to him, by the King of Italy, in 1893 after the islanders rescued and looked after the crew of the ship ITALIA which was wrecked in 1892.
As a settler on Tristan he was proud to be a subject of the Queen of England and in 1896 HMS MAGPIE bought his prized procession, a signed portrait of Queen Victoria that she had sent him, to the island. This now hangs in St Mary’s Church. However he never forgot that he was a Dutchman and his native village of Katwijk aan Zee occupied a warm corner of his heart.
On the 2nd April, 1902 Peter Green departed this life within twelve days of reaching the age of ninety-four. On the following day he was buried with solemn ceremony in the little graveyard near the sea. All the inhabitants attended the funeral. The burial service was read by his granddaughter, Mrs. Frances Repetto. No memorial stone shows the grave of the great old man whose life for nearly seventy years was so closely connected with Tristan da Cunha, in good and in evil days. It may be supposed that he himself did not wish otherwise, if we recall his own words spoken at the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh "I am in no respect superior to the others; on Tristan we are all equal." No one had the courage to enter in the registers the death of their father, grandfather, and headman.
J. Brander, Tristan da Cunha 1502 – 1902.

http://www.tristandc.com/po/stamps201609.php
Tristan da Cunha 2016 35p/$1.60 sg?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5557
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: PIETER WILLEM GROEN (Green)

Postby Anatol » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:28 pm

img14942.jpg
Click image to view full size
Next to Peter Green, the Reverend W. F. Taylor, who arrived on the island in 1851 aboard the «Earl of Ripon» .
Tristan da Kunha 1983;20p;SG356.
Anatol
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 72 guests

cron