SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.

PORT OF D'OWENDO

In 1978 Gabon issued one stamp for the Port of D’Owendo, with alongside the quay two general cargo vessels, with a lot of deck cargo under which it looks some containers, it were not real container vessels as given by Stanley Gibbons. Of the two vessels I have not any information and so far I known she are not yet identified.

Owendo is a port city in Gabon, forming a south western suburb of Libreville. It lies at the western end of the Trans-Gabon Railway, and was officially opened in 1988. But the port was already in use when the first section of the Trans Gabon Railway was opened between Owendo and Ndjolé in 1978 when the stamp was issued.

Source: wikipedia.
Gabon 1978 50F sg 650, scott 403.

CUBA COAST GUARD 081

The stamp shows us a Cubanian coastguard vessel with pennant No 081 of which I have not any details, more info welcome.
The inscription on the stamp gives: "Detachment Looking at the Sea".

KONDOR CLASS MINESWEEPER

For the 35th Anniversary of the DDR (1949-1984) the East German Post issued three stamps of which the 20p has a maritime theme, it shows us a navy ship of the East Germany Volksmarine what is given by Navicula that she is one of the Kondor II class minesweepers.

Project 89 Kondor Minesweeper, also known as the Kondor class, was a class of minesweepers designed in the German Democratic Republic which was given the NATO designation of "Condor" There were 3 versions, namely, the prototype unit, Project 89.0; the first version, Project 89.1 (NATO designation: Condor I); and the second version, Project 89.2 (NATO designation: Condor II).
The class depict on the stamp was built as Project 89.2 as minesweepers on the Peenewerft in Wolgast, East Germany between 1971 and 1973 for the Volksmarine of the DDR.
The first built was the WOLGAST and commissioned in 1971, in total 30 were built of this class. After Germany was united most were sold to a foreign country, there are still 12 in active service in 2018.
Displacement 449 ton, dim. 56.7 x 7.76 x 2.22m. (draught).
Powered by two MD 40 diesel engines each 2,490 hp, twin shafts, speed 18 kn.
Range 1,900 mile
Armament: 3 – 25mm Flak 2M-3 (AA) carried 24 mines or 24 depth charges.
Crew 30.

The WOLGAST was commissioned 20 May 1971in the Volksmarine, sold to Indonesia in 1990 and still in service by the Indonesian Navy.

Source: Wikipedia and various other web-sites.
East German 1984 20p sg?, scott2429.

WORLD COMMUNICATION YEAR 1983 (DDR)

East Germany issued in 1983 four stamps for the “World Communication Year1983” of which two stamps have a maritime theme.

The 10p depict the radio station Rugen on Rugen Island in the Baltic, with in the distance stylized ships. The nearest is a cargo vessel (coaster) with two holds, the vessel to the right is also a cargo vessel with four holds, while the vessel on the left looks like a supply vessel but a supply vessel has no masts on the aft-deck, it can also be a small ro-ro vessel.

The 20p shows also a stylized four hold cargo vessel.

East Germany 1983 10p and 20p sg E2488 and E2489, scott 2220/21
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

CLARENCE CROCKETT (USA)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

CLARENCE CROCKETT (USA)

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:14 pm

clarence z0001.jpg
Click image to view full size
clarence f.jpg
Click image to view full size
This vessel is a 13.60m. (44.6')long two-sail bateau, or V-bottomed deadrise type of centerboard sloop, commonly referred to as a skipjack. She was built in 1908 in Deep Creek, Virginia, and has sailed in the oyster-dredging fleet since then. She is built in typical Bay fashion using cross-planked construction methods. She has a beam of 4.48m. 14.7') and a depth of 0.91m. (3.0') with a net registered tonnage of 7. She carries a typical skipjack rig of jib-headed mainsail and large jib. The vessel has a longhead (clipper) bow and a square transom stern. The wooden hull is painted the traditional white and is sheathed with metal against ice at the waterline. This vessel has a longhead bow with a straight, slightly raking stem and a square, or transom, stern. The transom is steeply raking with the rudder hung outboard on pintles and a jig for the pushboat to the starboard side. There are guards on the hull to protect it from the dredges. The single mast is slightly raked aft and finished bright. The mast is rigged with double shrouds, adjusted by turnbuckles rather than the more traditional deadeyes, a forestay, and a jibstay. There is a topping lift leading to the end of the boom, which is jawed to the mast. Both mainsail and jib are furled by means of lazyjacks. The mainsail is jib-headed and laced to the boom. The large jib carries a club on its foot. The bowsprit, rigged with double chain bobstays and chain bowsprit shrouds. is slightly bowed down and is painted white. In addition to its sail rig the skipjack carries a motorized pushboat, suspended over the stern on davits. The vessel is flush-decked with several deck structures. These include: a wheel-box located against the after rail, a cabin trunk with an added "doghouse" with six small horizontal windows and a full-length door; and a small fore hatch. The cabin has a single round port on either side. There is a box covering the winder engines and a sampson post, with winch heads, on the foredeck. The deck is surrounded by a low pinrail atop a solid lograil forward, and a higher pinrail aft. The boat is open amidships where the dredges come aboard over rollers. Other gear includes oyster dredging equipment--dredges, winders, and winder engines. Significance: This vessel is significant as being one of the 36 surviving traditional Chesapeake Bay skipjacks and a member of the last commercial sailing fleet in the United States. Out of a fleet of hundreds of skipjacks that worked Bay waters in the early years of the 20th century, today only this small number remain to carry on the tradition of working sail. The skipjack evolved as a distinct type of Bay vessel in the 1890s as a cheaper-to-construct alternative to the earlier bugeyes and other traditional framed craft, in a period when shipbuilding costs were rising and the oyster catch was diminishing. The type was devised by enlarging (to 25' to 60') the hull of the ordinary, unframed, square-sterned Bay crabbing skiff, and giving it a deadrise bottom, a-deck, a cabin, and a sloop rig. The result--with its unframed, hard chine, cross-planked, V-bottom-proved inexpensive to build, easy to repair, and could be constructed by a competent house carpenter. Skipjacks were specifically designed as oyster dredge boats, with wide beams and low freeboard lending stability and providing a large working space on deck. The single masted rig, with sharp-headed mainsail and large jib, was easy to handle, powerful in light winds, and handy in coming about quickly for another pass over the oyster beds. CLARENCE CROCKETT is of interest as being one of the older skipjacks still dredging in the Chesapeake fleet. She was built in 1908 in Deep Creek, Virginia following traditional Bay-area design and construction methods. She has worked in the oyster-dredging fleet since her building and is presently based at Deal Island. The vessel is one of the 19 surviving working skipjacks to have been built previous to 1912, although, like the other members of the fleet, she has been much repaired over the years. A most recent addition includes an added "doghouse" with windows and a full-length door, an improvement designed to make the helm more comfortable for the skipper.

(USA 1988, 22 c. StG.2339)
Internet.
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 56 guests

cron