SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

KALEVALA POEM

For the 100th anniversary of the publication of the epic poem Kalevala, Finland issued three stamps in 1935 which shows on the 2,00 M stamp a type of Viking ship in which the hero of the epos Väinämöinen escaped with the “sampo”, made by the blacksmith Ilmarinen.
When the Goddess Louhi finds out that the “sampo” was stolen, she changed in an eagle, took her warriors on her back and landed on the boat of Väinämöinen (as seen on stamp), where after a battle started in which the boat sank, which took with her the “sampo”.
Plenty more on this poem you can find on the internet,

Encyclopaedia Britannica gives:
Kalevala, Finnish national epic compiled from old Finnish ballads, lyrical songs, and incantations that were a part of Finnish oral tradition.
The Kalevala was compiled by Elias Lönnrot, who published the folk material in two editions (32 cantos, 1835; enlarged into 50 cantos, 1849). Kalevala, the dwelling place of the poem’s chief characters, is a poetic name for Finland, meaning “land of heroes.” The leader of the “sons of Kaleva” is the old and wise Väinämöinen, a powerful seer with supernatural origins, who is a master of the kantele, the Finnish harplike stringed instrument. Other characters include the skilled smith Ilmarinen, one of those who forged the “lids of heaven” when the world was created; Lemminkäinen, the carefree adventurer-warrior and charmer of women; Louhi, the female ruler of Pohjola, a powerful land in the north; and the tragic hero Kullervo, who is forced by fate to be a slave from childhood.
Among the main dramas of the poem are the creation of the world and the adventurous journeys of Väinämöinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkäinen to Pohjola to woo the beautiful daughter of Louhi, during which the miraculous sampo, a mill that produces salt, meal, and gold and is a talisman of happiness and prosperity, is forged and recovered for the people of Kalevala. Although the Kalevala depicts the conditions and ideas of the pre-Christian period, the last canto seems to predict the decline of paganism: the maid Marjatta gives birth to a son who is baptized king of Karelia, and the pagan Väinämöinen makes way for him, departing from Finland without his kantele and songs.
The Kalevala is written in unrhymed octosyllabic trochees and dactyls (the Kalevala metre) and its style is characterized by alliteration, parallelism, and repetition. Besides fostering the Finnish national spirit, the poem has been translated into at least 20 languages; it has inspired many outstanding works of art, e.g., the paintings of Akseli Gallen-Kallela and the musical compositions of Jean Sibelius. The epic style and metre of the poem The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow also reflect the influence of the Kalevala.

Finland 1935 2.00M sg 307, scott 208. The painting shows the landing of Louhi on the boat, painting is made by Aksell Gallen Kallela.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.

Allahabad is a city on 3 rivers.

Allahabad is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, situated at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers.The name is derived from the one given to the city by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1583. The name in Indian languages generally is Ilahabad. The ancient name of the city is Prayāga (Sanskrit for "place of sacrifice") and is believed to be the spot where Brahma offered his first sacrifice after creating the world. It is one of four sites of the Kumbh Mela, the others being Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik. It has a position of importance in the Hindu religion and mythology since it is situated at the confluence of the holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and Hindu belief says that the invisible Sarasvati River joins here also. A city of many dimensions is what befits a description of Allahabad. In addition to being a major pilgrimage centre, the city has played an important part in the formation of modern India. Hindu mythology states that Lord Brahma, the creator god, chose a land for 'Prakrishta Yajna'. This land, at the confluence of three holy rivers - Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, blessed by gods, came to be known as 'Prayag' or 'Allahabad'. Foreseeing the sanctity of the place, Lord Brahma also called it as 'Tirth Raj' or 'King of all pilgrimage centres.' The Scriptures - Vedas and the great epics - Ramayana and Mahabharata, refer to this place as Prayag. Centuries followed. Allahabad became the headquarters of North Western Provinces, after being shifted from Agra. Well preserved relics of the British impact includes the Muir College and the All Saints Cathedral. Many important events in India's struggle for freedom, took place here - the emergence of the first Indian National Congress in 1885, the beginning of Mahatma Gandhi's non-violence movement in 1920. This confluence of history, culture and religion makes Allahabad, a unique city.
India 2011;500,500; Source:http://wikimapia.org/9805493/Allahabad.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

KAPITAN BORCHARDT tall ship

The full index of our ship stamp archive

KAPITAN BORCHARDT tall ship

Postby aukepalmhof » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:25 am

nora 1918.jpg
Click image to view full size
inspe 1953.jpg
Click image to view full size
kapitan-borchardt-.jpg
Click image to view full size
2017 kapitan borchardt 1918.jpg
Click image to view full size
For the tall ship race, which set off from Halmstad, Sweden on 30 June 2017 in the Baltic via the Finnish ports Turku and Kotka then too Klaipeda in Lithuania too Szczecin a distant from about 1,200 sea miles, the Polish post issued a miniature sheet to honour this race. https://www.sailonboard.com/event/tall- ... aces-2017/
On the sheet is depict the tall ship KAPITAN BORCHARDT.

Built as a three-masted schooner under yard no113 by J.J. Patje & Zonen, Waterhuizen, Netherland ordered for Gustaaf Adolf van Veen in Scheveningen, Netherland.
13 July 1917 launched as the NORA.
Tonnage 186 brt, 163 net, 325 dwt., dim. 32.75 x 7.00 x 3.20m, length bpp. 29.55m
Schooner rigged.
One 6-cyl. diesel engine manufactured by Motoren Werke Mannheim AG, 250 rhp, speed 10 knots.
10 June 1918 transferred to Zeevaart Maatschappij Albatros (Gustaaf Adolf van Veen) Rotterdam.
18 November 1918 completed.

25 July 1919 sold to Zeevaart Maatschappij Groningen, Harlingen, Netherlands and renamed HARLINGEN.
03 May 1923 sold to Jurjen Swiers, Groningen/Harlingen not renamed.
20 September 1923 sold to Reederei von Helmolt Hanseatische Schleppenschiffahrt, Bremen and renamed MOWE.
01 March 1924 sold to Gustav Dethweiler, Bremen, renamed in MOWE II.
17 September 1924 sold to Petrus Visher, West Rhauderfehn, Germany and renamed VADDER GERRIT.
1925 Installed a 2 cyl. spark-plug engine manufactured by Hanseatische Motoren GmbH, Bergedorf, 56 nhp.
07 May 1931 arrived by Schiffswerft Schismer, Oldersum to rebuilt.
1934 A new 4 cyl. diesel installed manufactured by Humboldt Deutzmotoren AG, Kõln, 270 rhp. The same year transferred to C & P Visher, West Rhauderfehn, not renamed.
26 November 1937 in collision on a voyage from London to Bremen during heavy fog with the Dutch PINGUIN in a position near Woolwich in which the PINGUIN sank and the VADDER GERRIT severe was damaged. Repaired by Schulte & Bruns in Emden, Germany. During the repair her damaged clipper bow was replaced by a standard bow. 27 December 1937 was she repaired and resumed sailing.
07 October 1939 transferred to Partenrederei “Vadder Gerrit”, Leer. Germany, not renamed.
18 August 1940 in service as a supply-ship for the German Navy in Kiel, fitted out as a supply-ship in Flensburg, Germany.
08 September 1941 training ship for U-boot abwehrschule (submarine anti-aircraft school). She sank at Kiel on 4 March 1943.
16 July 1945 salvaged and anchored in Kiel.
17 December 1947 assigned to the Dutch Government.
08 January 1948 arrived under tow of the German tug HANS at Martenshoek, Netherland and repaired by the yard of B. Fikkers, Martenshoek. Received a new mid-section and wheelhouse, engine overhauled.
08 January 1948 sold to Marinus Vlap, Groningen and renamed INSPE. (Managed by Wagenborg)
17 April 1954 sold to P/R K.O. Lottsson & L. Karlson & E.B.R. Louson, Skärhamn, Sweden and renamed UTSKÄR.
1969 Sold to Arn F.A.Durk, Kållands-ö, not renamed.
1974 Sold to Else Marie & Lars Åke Hartzell, Ronehamn.Not renamed.
1975 After a fire on board declared a construction total loss.
1978 Sold to R. Wiklund, Stockholm, not renamed.
1979 Sold to Kate Meijer, Groningen and renamed again in NORA.
She was rebuilt in a sailing ship, dim. 33.48 x 6.91 x 3.18m., length bpp. 29.62m. A new engine placed a 6-cyl. Caterpillar, 353 hp, speed 9 knots.
1989 Sold to Hovax B.V., Nijmegen, Netherlands, registered in Willemstad Netherlands Antilles, at that time she was a three-mast schooner passenger ship with accommodation for 45 passengers.
1989 Sold to Baltic Sail Ship AB, Stockholm and renamed in NAJADEN.
Rigged as a three-masted fore-and-aft schooner, tonnage 250 ton displacement, 175 ton gross and 90 tons net. Dim. 45.00 x 7.05 x 3.15m. Length bpp. 30.00.
Sail area 600 m².
Crew and accommodation for 82 passengers for day cruises. Also used for charter cruises in the Baltic.
1996 Sold to Klart Skepp Marinteknik AB, Danderyd, Sweden not renamed.
30 August 2011 sold to Sklodonscy Yachting Sp Z.O.O. Warsaw, Poland and used as training vessel.
08 October 2011 renamed in Gdansk as KAPITAN BORCHARDT, named after Captain Karol Olgierd Borchardt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karol_Olgierd_Borchardt
Accommodation for 10 crew and 32 trainees.
Rigged as a 3 masted fore-and-aft schooner.
2017 In service same name and owners, IMO No 5375008.

Source Internet, Lloyds Registry and http://members.home.nl/adriana-shipping?Datebase.htm click on COASTERS DATA BASE and scroll down to NORA.
Poland 2017 6Z sgMS?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5558
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 32 guests

cron