SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.

Allahabad is a city on 3 rivers.

Allahabad is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, situated at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers.The name is derived from the one given to the city by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1583. The name in Indian languages generally is Ilahabad. The ancient name of the city is Prayāga (Sanskrit for "place of sacrifice") and is believed to be the spot where Brahma offered his first sacrifice after creating the world. It is one of four sites of the Kumbh Mela, the others being Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik. It has a position of importance in the Hindu religion and mythology since it is situated at the confluence of the holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and Hindu belief says that the invisible Sarasvati River joins here also. A city of many dimensions is what befits a description of Allahabad. In addition to being a major pilgrimage centre, the city has played an important part in the formation of modern India. Hindu mythology states that Lord Brahma, the creator god, chose a land for 'Prakrishta Yajna'. This land, at the confluence of three holy rivers - Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, blessed by gods, came to be known as 'Prayag' or 'Allahabad'. Foreseeing the sanctity of the place, Lord Brahma also called it as 'Tirth Raj' or 'King of all pilgrimage centres.' The Scriptures - Vedas and the great epics - Ramayana and Mahabharata, refer to this place as Prayag. Centuries followed. Allahabad became the headquarters of North Western Provinces, after being shifted from Agra. Well preserved relics of the British impact includes the Muir College and the All Saints Cathedral. Many important events in India's struggle for freedom, took place here - the emergence of the first Indian National Congress in 1885, the beginning of Mahatma Gandhi's non-violence movement in 1920. This confluence of history, culture and religion makes Allahabad, a unique city.
India 2011;500,500; Source:http://wikimapia.org/9805493/Allahabad.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

CLONMEL

The full index of our ship stamp archive

CLONMEL

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:21 pm

Clonmel.jpg
Click image to view full size
2017 clonmel_jpg.jpg
Click image to view full size
The paddle steamer CLONMEL was arguably the first luxury steamship to operate in Australian waters and a stark contrast to its slow and uncomfortable predecessors. The CLONMEL departed Sydney on only its second voyage in December 1840, with 80 passengers and crew. On 1 January 1841, the CLONMEL struck a sandbar on the east coast of Victoria. All on board were saved, though the highly valuable cargo of bank notes and expensive drapery had been thrown overboard in a desperate attempt to save the ship. The wreck is the oldest located steamship wreck in Australia and an important archaeological site. The shipwrecks event also helped to draw attention to an alternate access route to the rich grazing land now known as Gippsland.
The painting of the CLONMELis by maritime artist Ian Hansen. The crystal decanter and stoppers, which symbolise the luxurious nature of the ship, are part of the Heritage Victoria collection.
https://australiapostcollectables.com.a ... shipwrecks

Built as a wooden hulled paddle steamer in Birkenhead, U.K. (can’t find a yard) for The Waterford Steamship Company, Ierland
1836 Delivered to owners under the name CLONMEL.
Tonnage 524 gross, 298 net, dim. 154,8 x 21.5 x 16.6 ft.
Powered by a 220 hp steam engine manufactured by George Forrester and Co., Liverpool, speed maximum 10 knots under steam. Coal consumption 610 kg a hour.
Accommodation for 36 passengers.
Two masted top-sail schooner.
Built for the ferry service between Liverpool and Waterford across the Irish Sea.

1840 Sold to Edye Manning & partners, Sydney.
She sailed from the U,K to Australia under sail, the passage took her almost 5 months.
05 October 1840 arrived in Sydney.
Early December 1840 she made her first voyage in the service from Sydney to Melbourne and Launceston. She was not so lucky on her second voyage in the service from Sydney she was lost without loss of life.

The newspaper “The Perth Gazette and Western Australia Journal of 20 February 1841 have the following on the wrecking of the CLONMEL.
Source: Various websites.
LOSS OF THE CLONMEL.
The following account of the loss of the steam-ship CLONMEL, we have taken from the Sydney Herald dated 20th January copied into that journal from the Port Phillip Herald. This was the first steamer established to open a communication be-tween Sydney and Port Phillip, and the expectations of its usefulness in increasing the traffic between the two ports, has been thus early blighted. It is regarded as a national loss, and a most previous calamity
A narrative of the occurrence is thus given by Mr. D. C. Simpson, one of the passengers, who, it is stated, exhibit the most heroic conduct, and is reported to be the principal sufferer both in purse and person :-
On Wednesday afternoon, the 30th Dec. 1840 I embarked on board the steam-ship CLONMEL, Lt. Tollervey, commander, bound from Sydney to Port Phillip. The passengers and crew consisted of 75 individuals. At four p. m., rounded the south head of Port Jackson ; wind from the southward, blow-ing fresh. Next morning, 31st, found us Jarvis's bay; wind still adverse with a strong head sea, the vessel progressing at an average of seven knots an hour. At daylight the first of January, Cape How bore W.S.W. of us; in the course of the morning sighted Ram Head, and took a fresh departure steering for Wilson's Promontory. The wind was now fair with smooth sea, and our course S.W. W.; the wind and weather continued favourable during the day and night. A little after three a. m., of 2d Jan., all the passengers were startled by the ship striking heavily. On reaching the deck I discovered breakers a-head ; the captain, who had been on deck during the whole of the middle watch, giving orders to back a-stern, and doing all in his power to rescue the ship from her perilous situation. Finding that the engines were of no avail in backing her off the bank on which we now found she had struck, orders were given to throw overboard cargo, &c., to lighten her, but without the desired effect, the vessel still surging higher upon the reef. The anchors were then let go, when, after a few more bumps, she swung head to wind, taking the ground with her stern, and bedding herself, with the fall of the tide upon the sand, rolling hard and striking occasionally. During the whole of this trying scene the most exemplary conduct was shown by the crew in obeying the orders of the captain and officers. Daylight had now made its appearance, and we found ourselves on shore on a sand spit at the entrance of Corner Inlet, about half a mile from the beach, between which and the vessel a heavy surf was rolling. It is necessary here to remark, that the course steered and the distance run, would not have warranted any person in believing us so near the shore, as we actually found ourselves. The sea was smooth, the wind fair, and the vessel going at the rate of at least ten knots an hour, and it was impossible for any navigator to have calculated upon such an inlet carrying a vessel, under the circumstances above alluded to, 30 or 30 miles to leeward out of her course, in eighteen hours. Capt. Tollervey's conduct had hitherto been that of a careful and watchful commander; he was on deck during the whole of the middle watch, which he himself kept, anxiously on the lookout and was on the paddle-box at the time the vessel struck, but the night proving misty, nothing could be seen beyond the length of the vessel. Had it pleased Providence to have retarded our voyage by half an hour, the calamitous event would have been avoided; but it was otherwise ordained.
Capt. T., on finding all attempts to get the vessel off by running kedges and warps out, throwing overboard cargo, &c., unavailing, and a strong sea rising with the floodtide, turned his attention to the safety of the passengers and crew. After several trips by the whale-boats first, and assisted by the quarter boats afterwards, every soul was landed in safety by 2 p.m., the captain being the last to leave the vessel. A sufficiency of sails, awnings, and lumber was brought on shore to rig out tents for all hands; and everybody set to work to make an encampment; in a short time the ladies and females were comfortably housed, having beds placed for them in a weather proof tent; the male passengers and crew were equally accommodated by means of spare sails and awnings brought from the ship, and we found ourselves at sundown as well provided for as we under the circumstances could desire.
A boat was prepared to be dispatched to Melbourne for relief, a crew of five men instantly volunteered ; Mr. Simson, who headed the party, and another passenger, joined in the undertaking, and with much difficulty, after being out in a whale-boat 63 hours, attained their object.
'The cutters SISTERS and WILL WATCH sailed for the wreck with all possible dispatch, but the result of the humane efforts of the captains of these vessels, has not transpired, but as the passengers and crew were safely landed, and were supplied with at least 10 days provisions, no apprehensions are entertained for their safety.
Among the passengers were Mr. and Mrs. Walker, (Mrs. W. is .the daughter of Mr. Blaxland, M.L.C., and the present is the second shipwreck she has suffered) ; Mr. Goodwin, of the firm of Hamilton & Goodwin of this town, to whom one half of the cargo belonged ; Mr. Robinson, of the Union Bank, having in his charge 3,000l. of the Bank's notes received at Sydney.
The whole has been lost, and is supposed to have been stolen - the Bank of course will sustain the loss; Mr. and Mrs. Cashmore, newly married, and bringing a large quantity of goods for the new establishment intended to be immediately opened at the corner of Collins and Elizabeth streets. There were on board 300 tons of coals and 200 tons general cargo. At the time Mr. Simpson left, her false keel and part of the sheathing was floating about the vessel, but she was not making any water, and he is of opinion that should the weather continue moderate, she would be got off.
When she first struck, her rate of speed was upwards of 10 miles an hour. We are sorry to have to add that the fire-men, and some others, acted in a most disgraceful manner.

Australia 2017 $1 sg?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 73 guests