SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.

Allahabad is a city on 3 rivers.

Allahabad is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, situated at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers.The name is derived from the one given to the city by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1583. The name in Indian languages generally is Ilahabad. The ancient name of the city is Prayāga (Sanskrit for "place of sacrifice") and is believed to be the spot where Brahma offered his first sacrifice after creating the world. It is one of four sites of the Kumbh Mela, the others being Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik. It has a position of importance in the Hindu religion and mythology since it is situated at the confluence of the holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and Hindu belief says that the invisible Sarasvati River joins here also. A city of many dimensions is what befits a description of Allahabad. In addition to being a major pilgrimage centre, the city has played an important part in the formation of modern India. Hindu mythology states that Lord Brahma, the creator god, chose a land for 'Prakrishta Yajna'. This land, at the confluence of three holy rivers - Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, blessed by gods, came to be known as 'Prayag' or 'Allahabad'. Foreseeing the sanctity of the place, Lord Brahma also called it as 'Tirth Raj' or 'King of all pilgrimage centres.' The Scriptures - Vedas and the great epics - Ramayana and Mahabharata, refer to this place as Prayag. Centuries followed. Allahabad became the headquarters of North Western Provinces, after being shifted from Agra. Well preserved relics of the British impact includes the Muir College and the All Saints Cathedral. Many important events in India's struggle for freedom, took place here - the emergence of the first Indian National Congress in 1885, the beginning of Mahatma Gandhi's non-violence movement in 1920. This confluence of history, culture and religion makes Allahabad, a unique city.
India 2011;500,500; Source:http://wikimapia.org/9805493/Allahabad.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

DUCHESSA DI GENOVA

The full index of our ship stamp archive

DUCHESSA DI GENOVA

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:44 pm

CITTA DI GENOVA -.jpg
Click image to view full size
DUCHESSA_DI_GENOVA_2.jpg
Click image to view full size
2017 Francisca_Rubatto_a_America_large.jpg
Click image to view full size
This stamp issued by Uruguay in 2017 shows Mother Francisca Rubatto arriving in South America, with in the background a ship, which could be a imagination of the designer of the stamp, but I believe she was an existing vessel She has a black painted funnel the only Italian company which had a black funnel at around that time was the Societa di Navigazione a Vapore Fratelli Lavarello, but this company got in financially trouble in 1891 and the fleet was taken over by La Veloce another company based in Genova but this company funnel colours are not black. Only the CITTA DI GENOVA built in 1889 and taken over by La Veloce looks if the designer has used this ship for his stamp. The photo shows her as SAVOIE. She has another funnel length and her after mast is not in the same position as on the stamp.

There are many web-sites in Spanish and English on her but not any has the shipsname in which she arrived in Montevideo in 1892. At least I found an Italian web-site which got the ships name as DUCHESSA DI GENOVA on which Mother Francisca Rubatto sailed to Montevideo in 1892.

The Uruguay Post has by the stamp:
125 years after the arrival of M. Francisca Rubatto to South America.

Ana Maria Rubatto Pavesio, known as the Blessed Francisca Rubatto (Carmagnola, February 14, 1844 - Montevideo, August 6, 1904), Italian religious foundress of the school of the Capuchin Sisters of Mother Rubatto. She had an outstanding performance in Uruguay. The Catholic Church venerates her as beata.

Born in Italy, daughter of Juan Tomás Rubatto and Catalina Pavesio. In 1863 she was orphaned and moved to Turin, where she entered the Cottolengo. On January 23, 1885, she took the habit with other compañeras, founding in Loano the Congregation of the Capuchin Sisters, and on September 17, 1886 she made the religious vows with the name of Maria Francisca de Jesús. In 1892 he left for Uruguay with three compañeras, and they began a pastoral and assistance task. In the neighborhood of Belvedere they created a sewing workshop, which eventually became the San Jose de la Providencia School, and also made missionary trips to Argentina and Brazil, where six of their compañeras gave their lives.in 1904. To date (2016), her Daughters serve in the Church in Italy, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Peru and East Africa.

On October 10, 1993 she was beatified by Pope John Paul II, being the first Uruguayan blessed.

After much searching on the net at least I found that M. Francisca Rubatto left on 03 May 1892 on board the DUCHESSA DI GENOVA bound for Montevideo and she arrived in Montevideo on 24 May 1892. http://www.ciseionline.it/raccontimigra ... ria_08.asp

A photo of DUCHESSA DI GENOVA from around 1892 shows her with three masts and two funnels, the vessel on the stamp has one funnel the third mast could be hidden behind the portrait of Francisca Rubatto.

She was built as a steel hulled cargo-passenger ship under yard no 390 by Robert Napier & Sons, Govan, Scotland for Cia Mexicana Transatlantica, Vera Cruz, Mexico.
29 February 1884 launched as the MEXICO, two sisters the OAXACA and TAMAULIPAS.
Tonnage 4,142 gross, 2,793 net, dim 121,9 bpp. X 13.4 x 7.04m.
Powered by one 3-cyl. triple expansion steam engine, manufactured by the shipbuilder, 1,000 nhp., one screw, speed 14 knots.
Passenger accommodation for 98 first, 108 second and 740 third class passengers.
1884 Completed.
The three ships were built for the liner service between Liverpool and Mexico. But the service was short lived and already in 1887 the three vessel were sold to the Italian company La Veloce Navigazione Italiana, Genoa.
The MEXICO was delivered to the new owner in Liverpool and renamed in DUCHESSA DI GENOVA.
19 November 1887 she left for the first time Genoa and via Barcelona, Las Palmas to Montevideo and Buenos Aires.
21 December 1905 she was sold for breaking up, and she was broken up at Genoa, work commenced in February 1906.

Source: http://www.clydeships.co.uk. Miramar. South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor.

Uruguay 2017 $20 sg?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5557
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 72 guests

cron