SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Haukur 1973

Haukur was built in Reykjavík in 1973, thus being a youngster for a wooden boat. In the beginning she was designed as a fishing boat but due to the shipbuilder’s respect and enthusiasm for old sail boats the hull shape was rather unusual and in fact with a resemblance to the old shark and fishing schooners that were common around Iceland in the 19th century. When North Sailing bought the boat in 1996 it was soon clear that the boat would be a great sailing vessel and after serving 5 summers as an ordinary whale watching vessel the boat was transformed to a two mast schooner in the shipyard of Húsavík.

Phoenix 1929

The Phoenix is a ship built by Hjorne & Jakobsen at Frederikshavn, Denmark in 1929, originally as an Evangelical Mission Schooner.
Length: 112ft Beam21.9ft Draught 8.5ft. Propulsion 12 sails, 235 h.p. Volvo. Crew of 10

Missionary and cargo ship
Twenty years later she retired from missionary work and carried cargo until her engine room was damaged by fire. In 1974 she was bought by new owners who converted her into a Brigantine before being purchased by Square Sail in 1988. A first aid over-haul enabled her to sail back to the UK where she underwent a complete refit.
Appearances in films
Caravel Santa Maria
During 1991 she was converted to the 15th century Caravel Santa Maria for Ridley Scott's film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The ship was known as Santa Maria until, in 1996, due to increasing demand for period square-riggers, she was converted into a 2 masted Brig and reverted to her original name Phoenix of Dell Quay.
Hornblower Series 3
Phoenix of Dell Quay was used as the ship Retribution in the Hornblower Series 3.

Wikipedia

Spirit of New Zealand 1986

The tall ship Spirit of New Zealand is a steel-hulled, three-masted barquentine from Auckland, New Zealand. It was purpose-built by the Spirit of Adventure Trust in 1986 for youth development. It is 42.5 m in total length and carries a maximum of 40 trainees and 13 crew on overnight voyages. The ship's home port is Auckland, and it spends most of its time sailing around the Hauraki Gulf. During the summer season, it often sails to the Marlborough Sounds and Nelson, at the top of the South Island.
The spirit of the project was derived from the sail training operations of the schooners "Sir Winston Churchill" and "Malcolm Miller" which were built for the organisation formerly known as the Sail Training Association ( STA) https://www.spiritofadventure.org.nz/th ... ur-history
The ship is used for a year-round programme of youth development, consisting primarily of 10-day individual voyages for 15- to 19-year-olds and 5-day Spirit Trophy voyages for teams of 10 Year 10 students. Once a year an Inspiration voyage for trainees with physical disabilities is run, as well as board of trustees and Navy training voyages. In addition, adult day, weekend and coastal voyages are offered to paying members of the public. The ship is usually in dry-dock for refit in November and does not sail on Christmas Day.
Design
The Spirit of New Zealand is a barquentine-rigged three-masted steel hull 33.3 m (109 ft) long, with an overall length of 45.2 m (148 ft) including the bowsprit, and a maximum width of 9.1 m (29.9 ft). She has a draft of about 4 m (13 ft) and a displacement of 286 tons. Under power, the Spirit of New Zealand can reach a top speed of 10 knots, and 14 knots under sail. A new engine installed in late 2010 is expected to increase the vessel's maximum speed.
The three steel masts are 28.7, 31.3, and 28.0 metres high and carry 14 sails totalling 724.3m² (7,965 ft²). There are 3 jibs and 4 square sails on the foremast. The main and mizzen masts are gaff rigged, and both can carry a gaff-topsail. In addition, there are 3 staysails on the main mast.
The hull is painted black with the ship's name and the Trust's website painted in white at the bow and across the stern. In addition, a large silver fern is painted on either side of the bow beneath the name. A stainless steel rubbing strake runs the length of the vessel and circular port holes are visible above the waterline. A wooden rail runs around the edge of the entire deck.
The standard crew of the Spirit of New Zealand has varied during her lifetime, but in 2010 consisted of 1 master, 3 mates, 1 cook, 1 engineer, 2 cadets, 3 volunteer watch assistants, 2 leading hands and 40 trainees. For day sail voyages, the ship is registered to carry significantly more passengers. The trainees are normally split 20 male and 20 female, and sleep in separate accommodation. A change to the male accommodation was made so that 6 of the bunks could be separated from the remainder, allowing voyages to sail with 26 females and 14 males. This change was made in response to frequently higher female applicants than male applicants.

Allahabad is a city on 3 rivers.

Allahabad is a city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, situated at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna rivers.The name is derived from the one given to the city by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1583. The name in Indian languages generally is Ilahabad. The ancient name of the city is Prayāga (Sanskrit for "place of sacrifice") and is believed to be the spot where Brahma offered his first sacrifice after creating the world. It is one of four sites of the Kumbh Mela, the others being Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik. It has a position of importance in the Hindu religion and mythology since it is situated at the confluence of the holy rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and Hindu belief says that the invisible Sarasvati River joins here also. A city of many dimensions is what befits a description of Allahabad. In addition to being a major pilgrimage centre, the city has played an important part in the formation of modern India. Hindu mythology states that Lord Brahma, the creator god, chose a land for 'Prakrishta Yajna'. This land, at the confluence of three holy rivers - Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, blessed by gods, came to be known as 'Prayag' or 'Allahabad'. Foreseeing the sanctity of the place, Lord Brahma also called it as 'Tirth Raj' or 'King of all pilgrimage centres.' The Scriptures - Vedas and the great epics - Ramayana and Mahabharata, refer to this place as Prayag. Centuries followed. Allahabad became the headquarters of North Western Provinces, after being shifted from Agra. Well preserved relics of the British impact includes the Muir College and the All Saints Cathedral. Many important events in India's struggle for freedom, took place here - the emergence of the first Indian National Congress in 1885, the beginning of Mahatma Gandhi's non-violence movement in 1920. This confluence of history, culture and religion makes Allahabad, a unique city.
India 2011;500,500; Source:http://wikimapia.org/9805493/Allahabad.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

History
Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

Cabins
The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic

ODER KAHN

For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

VILLA DE MADRID frigate 1863

The full index of our ship stamp archive

VILLA DE MADRID frigate 1863

Postby aukepalmhof » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 pm

bombardament of Valparaiso + painting.jpg
Click image to view full size
2017 Chile (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a wooden screw frigate by Arsenal de la Carraca (Cadiz) for the Spanish Navy.
30 September 1860 ordered
03 November 1860 keel laid down, as the NUESTRA SENORA DE ATOCHA
07 October 1862 launched one of the Unica Class.
Displacement 4,478 ton. Dim. 87.05 x 15.42 x 7.84m., draught 7.40m.
Powered by two steam engines manufactured by Penn & Son. 3,200 hp, one shaft, speed 15 knots.
Bunker capacity 720 ton coal.
Armament 30 – 200mm, 14 – 160mm guns. 2 howitzers and 2 – 80mm guns.
Crew 617.
12 November 1863 completed as VILLA DE MADRID.

The wooden hulled steam screw frigate VILLA DE MADRID was built for the Spanish Navy .It received its name in honour of the uprising of the people of Madrid against the French invaders on 02 May 1808, her name she was ordered under was, NUESTRA SEÑORA DE ATOCHA following the custom of the ships of the Spanish Navy of the time, those ships with a non-religious name, they had to carry another one that was religious.

The ship
Its construction was ordered by Royal Order of 30 September 1860 and began in the Arsenal de la Carraca (Cádiz) on 03 November of the same year. It was launched in the presence of Queen Isabel II with the name of NUESTRA SENORA DE ATOCHA on 07 October 1862, after a failed first attempt two days before.
Between 17 March 1863 and 15 July 1863 the machinery was installed and her hull copper sheated.
06 November 1863 underwent sea trials
Her figurehead, was the municipal coat of arms of Madrid, with the bear and the strawberry tree.
Building cost was 5,636,975 pesetas.
History
On 12 November 1863, she entered service, and her first mission was to take a battalion of Marine Infantry to Havana, after which she returned to Cádiz.
On 06 September 1864, she sailed from Cádiz to Montevideo, Uruguay, where she joined the screw frigates BLANCA and BERENGUELA, with which she passed the Strait of Magellan and joined in December of the same year Admiral José Manuel's Squadron at the Chincha Islands, Chile.
Under the command of Captain Claudio Alvargonzález Sánchez, she participated with the squadron of Admiral Casto Méndez Núñez in the Battle of Abtao, the bombardment of Valparaíso and in the Battle of Callao, where she had 27 casualties.
She returned to Cádiz on 04 November 1866, with a jubilant welcome from the authorities and the town people.
It remained anchored in Civitavecchia during the assault on Rome by Garibaldi, in case the Pope was forced to flee he could board her, when not more needed she returned to Cartagena at the end of 1867.
He transported the Infanta Doña Isabel, her husband the count of Girgenti and his brothers, refugees in Spain since 1861, back to Italy, in the spring of 1868.
In July of 1868 she took the Duke of Montpensier and his family to exile to Lisbon, where she arrived on 03 August 1868.
She then went to San Sebastian, and anchored in Cadiz at the end of August 1868 where she was rearmed with 20 smoothbore guns of 200 mm in batteries, and 10 guns of 160 mm.
She participated in the Revolution in Spain of September of 1868, being a unit of the insurrectionary ships in Cádiz. On 25 September 1868, she sailed from Cádiz to visit Algeciras, Ceuta, Málaga, Cartagena, Valencia and Barcelona.
She later joined the Mediterranean Squadron under the command of the Commodore of the Antequera Navy. At this time, it remained anchored in Santa Pola.
In 1870, forming a squadron with NUMANCIA and VITORIA under the command of Rear Admiral Rafael Rodríguez de Arias , she went to Italy to pick up the new monarch Amadeo I. On the outward journey she raised the royal standard without a king on board. It was the first and only time in the history of Spain that this has happened.
On 30 July 1873 she joined the Canton of Cartagena and was abandoned by most of her crew to enjoy the permits granted by the cantonalists. His machine was broken down, so he did not participate in the Arsenal defense against Admiral Lobo's centralist squadron.
From 1879 to 1884 the date on which she appeared as disarmed, she served in the Training Squadron, being discharged in 1884 and scrapped the same year.
Curiosities
One of her anchors remained as a monument in the Buen Retiro Park in Madrid.

Source: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_de_Madrid_(buque)
Chile 2017 label.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5557
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 75 guests