SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

TRIREME

The stamp shows in the background a “trireme” : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12113&p=16176&hilit=trireme#!lightbox[gallery]/5/

The Bosnia& Herzegovina Post gives the following by the stamp, most is about the Iris and noting about the depicted vessel.

About Myths and Flora 2007 - The Illyrian Iris in Myths

Perunika (Iris) was named after Perun – Slavic God of Thunder. Legend says that perunika would overgrow in the place that was touched by Perun’s lightning.
Many species of Iris grows in Herzegovina and Dalmatia: Iris illyrica, iris croatica, and Iris pseudopallida. Many antiques writers, such as Teofrast, Nicander and Plinius, mention it.

The root of perunika was used in medicine and in agriculture, but its biggest value was in perfumery. According to the Plinius, the odour of perunika was produced only by Greek cities such as Corint, who led in perfume manufacturing and exported it all over the Mediterranean, and Kizik. Hereof testimony many ceramic pots for perfumes – alabastron and aryballos. In the first fase, the perfume was in liquidity, but Corinthians were started to produce fixed perfume (Greek stymma, something like today’s cream). It was more economical for transport and it was prepared for special pots – pikside.
Many pots for perfumes were found in the field of Narona where, in the IV. century B.C, Greeks founded emporium (port) and established market place in the Neretva, on which boats and ships triere – trireme, were sailing.

Plinius Secundus, in his encyclopedia Naturalis historis writes: “Iris laudatissima in Illyrico, et ibi quoque non in maritimis, sed in silvestribus Drilonis et Naronae”. (Perunika from Illyrica is very praised, not those along the shore, but those in the woods along Drim and Neretva).

Bosnia& Herzegovina 2007 3.00KM sg?, scott?

DEPORTATION OF THE PEOPLE OF ST PIERRE et MIQUELON in 1793

The stamp issued in 1993 by St Pierre et Miquelon shows the people leaving by most probably fishing boats St Pierre et Miquelon after the British captured the island on 14 May 1793 and the people living there were deported. In the background of the stamp, the island is visible, and the people in the first boat are looking for the last time to the island.

The people of the island were deported to Magdalen Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1993 5f10 sg 698. Scott 591.
Source: Internet

HMS Diana (1794)

HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794. Because Diana served in the Royal Navy's Egyptian campaign between 8 March 1801 and 2 September, her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal that the Admiralty authorized in 1850 to all surviving claimants. Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. (Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.) On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers. Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder. The design stamp is made after painting of Tom Freeman.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Diana_(1794). Ivory Coast 2018;500f.

SOUTH AFRICAN PORTS

35c Walvis Bay Harbour:
This bay is on the west coast of South Africa was marked on Portuguese marine charts as early as 1487. The natural harbour was named Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicao by Bartolomeu Dias. The Territory of Walvis Bay became a British possession in 1878, and in 1884 it was incorporated into the then Cape Colony.
Walvis Bay was formerly a whaling station. Originally the bay was too shallow for use by Ocean Steamers but it has systemically dredged and the first quay for passengers and cargo vessels was opened in 1927. Walvis Bay is the centre of the important fishing industry on the west coast and also handles the exporting of minerals from Namibia.

55c East London:
East London port is situated in the mouth of the Buffalo River. In 1835 the river was surveyed for a possible harbour for longboats to carry passengers and cargo from the ships on the road to and from the harbour but it came to noting.
1847 A new attempt was made to open a port and this was also not successful.
Only when there where diamonds found in Grqualand there came sufficient money free to start again. In 1872 the first shipments with equipment arrived and after setting up a platform for the cranes the construction was started of the south breakwater.
1875 The first wharf was constructed, 1876 another and in 1877 a third wharf.
1993 The harbour has now 2.6km of quay, and several railway lines connect the port with Transvaal and other regions. The turnover in that year appr. 3 million tons and 26,000 containers a year.
In the foreground is a white hulled cargo vessel visible, most probably a reefer vessel.

70c Port Elizabeth: On 12 March 1488 Bartolomeu Dias became the first recorded Occidental to call at Bahia de Lagos as he named the bay now known as Algoa Bay. As a seaport, however, the town of Port Elizabeth owns it origin to the British settlers of 1820. After their arrival, the need for a customs post arose. In 1825 the bay was given port status with the appointment of a port master, and a year later a collector was appointed. Today, Port Elizabeth is the fifth largest cargo-handling port in South Africa. The port has more as 3,400m of quayage and a container terminal with two berths. Recently a large container-handling terminal for imported motor vehicle components was developed.

90c Cape Town Harbour: Table Bay has been used as a landing place by passing ships ever since Bartolemeu Dias rounded the Cape of Good Hope in 1488. The port grew from the refreshment station founded by Jan van Riebeeck in April 1652 for ships of the Dutch East India Company. In 1656 work was started on a wooden jetty to facilitate the landing of small boats. During World War II, Cape Town handled more than 400 convoys, saw 13,000 ships repaired, and took in about 6 million soldiers. During the Suez crises in 1973, the port handled an enormous amount of shipping. Today (1993) Cape Town handled some 4.5 million of cargo annually. There are sophisticated container handling facilities as well as two dry-docks and extensive service facilities.

Durban Harbour: In 1823 the brig SALISBURY viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10957&p=11622&hilit=salisbury#p11622 sheltered in a bay on the Natal coast during a sudden storm. Impressed by the potential of the bay, Lieutenants King and Farewell obtained a concession for a trading store on the waterfront. Thus began the history of South Africa’s busiest port. Today over 500.000 containers are handled at the container terminal annually, the largest in Africa. A large passenger terminal also provides for the needs of ocean travellers.

Source: South Africa Post and internet.
South Africa 1993 35c/R1.05 sg 772/76, scott 844/48

The Battle of “Soleil Royal” and “Britannia” in 1692

The scene in this painting depicts Soleil Royal and Britannia exchanging fire during the Battle of Barfleur in 1692. Lead by Adm. Tourvilles and sorely outnumbered, the French fleet, purportedly under order from King Louis XIV, attacked the Allied fleet, which consisted of Dutch and British ships. The battle was fierce, and in the end, the French, overwhelmed, were forced to flee, splitting into two groups. Soleil Royal, the flagship of Adm. Tourvilles, along with eleven other French ships were pressed by the Allied fleet and driven ashore at Cape La Hougue. The Allied fleet brought up their fire ships and destroyed Soleil Royal along with the other eleven French ships in the surf off la Hougue. The remainder of the French fleet, caught in the famous tidal race of Alderney, were swept to the west where they took refuge in various creeks, some driven ashore. The design stamp is made after painting of James A Flood.

Source:http://www.jamesaflood.com/soleil.html Ivory Coast 2018;2170f.

KEBIR CLASS PATROL BOAT

For the 20th Anniversary of the Algerian Coast Guard service, Algeria issued one stamp which shows a patrol boat of the Coast Guard at that time.

In 1993 only one type was in use, the Kebir-class which were replaced in 1994 by a Chinese type patrol boat.

The first three were built in the U.K. the others in Algeria. The first was built in 1982 the last in?
Displacement 250 tons, dim. 37.5 x 6.86 x 1.78m.
Powered by two diesel engines, 6,000 bhp., twin shafts, speed 27 knots.
Armament 1 – 25mm AA gun and 2 – 14.5mm MG.
Crew 27.
So far I can find 6 were in the service of the Coast Guard, the others by the Algerian Navy.

Source: Internet various sites.
Algeria 1993 2.00D sg 1123, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

GUILLAUME TELL 1796

The full index of our ship stamp archive

GUILLAUME TELL 1796

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Image (34).jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a 2eRate ship-of-the-line at Toulon for the French Navy. She was designed by Jacques-Noël Sané.
September 1794 keel laid down.
21 October 1795 launched under the name GUILLAUME TELL. (most probably named after the famous marksman from Switzerland William Tell.)
Tonnage ?, dim. 182.6 x 47 x 23.6ft.
Armament 30 – 36pdrs., 32 – 24pdrs., 28 – 12pdrs., 6 – 36 carronades.
Crew 800.
July 1796 completed.

She was one of the French ships under command of Capt. Saulnier and as flagship of Vice Admiral P.C. Villeneuve (1763 – 1806) was she present at the Battle of the Nile on 01 August 1798.
She was not engaged in this battle, and as one of the rear vessels in the French line of warships together with three other French warships escaped undamaged.

She escaped to Malta, which was at that time under French authority.
Malta Post gives: http://www.maltapost.com/page.asp?n=newsdetails&I=5520

The French 84-gun GUILLAUME TELL escaped from the Battle of the Nile to seek shelter in Valetta after the defeat by Admiral Horatio Nelson of the French fleet in Aboukir Bay.
The Maltese insurgents were besieging the French in Valletta and the ships of the British Navy were maintaining a blockade to ensure none of the French warships sailed to France.
GUILLAUME TELL was refitted and attempted to escape during the night of 29-30 March 1800 with some of the garrison’s sick and wounded.
She was engaged in daylight by the 44-gun frigate HMS PENELOPE that fought a delaying action until joined by the 64-gun HMS LION and the 80-gun HMS FOUDROYANT, which dismasted the French vessel, as depicted in this painting by Edwin Galea. She was towed to Syracuse for repairs, and joined the British Fleet as HMS MALTA. (on the stamp she is the vessel in the foreground of the painting seen starboard side).

When she escaped from Malta she was still under command of Capt. Saulnier and had on board Vice Admiral Decrés, she left Valletta during the pitch-black night of 29 March at 23.00, she was not seen by HMS ALEXANDER which was anchored three miles from Fort St. Elmo.
At midnight did HMS PENELOPE see her; which was under command of Capt. Henry Blackwood, who began a running attack on her. The GUILLAUME TELL who tried to escape could only use her stern chasers during this fight.
When daylight came she was attacked by the LION, PENELOPE and FOUDROYANT.
After a most gallant battle she struck her colours and was taken.
From the crew of 919 men, 207 were killed and many wounded under which Capt. Saulnier and Vice Admiral Decrés.

Taken in the Royal Navy as HMS MALTA.
23 November 1800 arrived at Portsmouth for a refit, which was completed on 10 July 1801.
Tonnage given as 2.265 ton (bm), dim. 194.4 x 51.7 x 23.4ft.
Armament: Lower deck 30 – 32pdrs. and 2 – 68pdrs carronades. Upper deck 30 - 24pdrs., quarter deck 18 – 24pdrs. and 8 – 24pdrs carronades, fore-castle 2 – 12pdrs., poop deck 2 – 68pdrs. carronades and 2 – 24pdrs. carronades.
Crew 780.

May 1801 commissioned under command of Capt. Albemarle Bertie.
She received orders to stationed at St. Hellen’s to examine all vessels coming into Portsmouth harbour.
Later was she used in the blockade of Brest, and for a while stationed at Bantry Bay.
After a seriously fire on board, paid off on 04 April 1802 at Plymouth.
March 1803 recommissioned, under command of Capt. Edward Buller.
10 April 1803 she joined the fleet at Cawsand Bay.
June 1803 she sent into Plymouth the American ship LOVINA from New York bound for Amsterdam, loaded with tobacco. She detained the LOVINA in the English Channel.
July 1803 send out together with other ships from the Royal Navy to patrol the waters off the Spanish coast.
Christmas Day 1803 she was running in a storm with hurricane strength, and her prize the LES DEUX AMIS was wrecked in the Catwater near Deadman’s Bay, the prize was loaded with sugar and coffee.

The MALTA returned to Plymouth for a refit after the winter gales.
16 July 1804 she was again moved to Cawsand Bay.
19 December still at Cawsand Bay a strong gale sprung up, and the MALTA had to veer more anchor cable to prevent her drifting, she touched some rocks but was not damaged.
The end of that year she sailed to Ferrol, Spain and returned on the 29th December at Plymouth with on board 60.000 dollars in silver belonging to Spanish merchants.

January 1805 under temporary command of Capt. William Granger off Cadiz, Spain.
She joined Sir Robert Calder squadron and took part in his action against the Spanish and French fleet on 22 July 1805. Two enemy ships were taken. MALTA lost during this action 5 men and had 40 wounded.
Flagship of Rear-Admiral Sir Thomas Louis.
August 1806 she captured the French Le PRÉSIDENT (44-guns).
05 January 1807 sailed for the Mediterranean.
1807 Used in the blockade off Cadiz. Command was taken over by Capt. William Shield.
1808 Used in the blockade off Toulon, Capt Shield was relieved by Capt. Robert Otway.
December 1808 decommissioned at Plymouth for repair and a refit.
September 1811 re-commissioned under command of Capt. Charles Paget as flagship for Rear Admiral Sir. Benjamin Hallowell.
08 January 1812 sailed for the Mediterranean.
January 1815 command taken over by Capt. William Fahie.
From November 1815 till January 1816 under repair and fitted out as guardship at Plymouth.
January 1816 command taken over by Capt. Thomas Caulfield.
July 1816 paid off at Plymouth, and put in reserve.
10 November 1831 fitted out as depot ship at Plymouth.
August 1840 broken up at Plymouth.

Source: many websites under which http://www.cronab.demon.co.uk/M1.HTM British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817 by Rif Winfield.
Malta 2006 29c sg?, scott?

The other ships depict on this stamp are the:
HMS FOUDROYANT viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16181#!lightbox[gallery]/1/
HMS PENELOPE: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16176
HMS LION: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16178
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5631
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 71 guests