Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.


The stamp shows in the background a “trireme” : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12113&p=16176&hilit=trireme#!lightbox[gallery]/5/

The Bosnia& Herzegovina Post gives the following by the stamp, most is about the Iris and noting about the depicted vessel.

About Myths and Flora 2007 - The Illyrian Iris in Myths

Perunika (Iris) was named after Perun – Slavic God of Thunder. Legend says that perunika would overgrow in the place that was touched by Perun’s lightning.
Many species of Iris grows in Herzegovina and Dalmatia: Iris illyrica, iris croatica, and Iris pseudopallida. Many antiques writers, such as Teofrast, Nicander and Plinius, mention it.

The root of perunika was used in medicine and in agriculture, but its biggest value was in perfumery. According to the Plinius, the odour of perunika was produced only by Greek cities such as Corint, who led in perfume manufacturing and exported it all over the Mediterranean, and Kizik. Hereof testimony many ceramic pots for perfumes – alabastron and aryballos. In the first fase, the perfume was in liquidity, but Corinthians were started to produce fixed perfume (Greek stymma, something like today’s cream). It was more economical for transport and it was prepared for special pots – pikside.
Many pots for perfumes were found in the field of Narona where, in the IV. century B.C, Greeks founded emporium (port) and established market place in the Neretva, on which boats and ships triere – trireme, were sailing.

Plinius Secundus, in his encyclopedia Naturalis historis writes: “Iris laudatissima in Illyrico, et ibi quoque non in maritimis, sed in silvestribus Drilonis et Naronae”. (Perunika from Illyrica is very praised, not those along the shore, but those in the woods along Drim and Neretva).

Bosnia& Herzegovina 2007 3.00KM sg?, scott?


The stamp issued in 1993 by St Pierre et Miquelon shows the people leaving by most probably fishing boats St Pierre et Miquelon after the British captured the island on 14 May 1793 and the people living there were deported. In the background of the stamp, the island is visible, and the people in the first boat are looking for the last time to the island.

The people of the island were deported to Magdalen Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1993 5f10 sg 698. Scott 591.
Source: Internet

HMS Diana (1794)

HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794. Because Diana served in the Royal Navy's Egyptian campaign between 8 March 1801 and 2 September, her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal that the Admiralty authorized in 1850 to all surviving claimants. Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. (Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.) On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers. Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder. The design stamp is made after painting of Tom Freeman.
Source: Ivory Coast 2018;500f.


35c Walvis Bay Harbour:
This bay is on the west coast of South Africa was marked on Portuguese marine charts as early as 1487. The natural harbour was named Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicao by Bartolomeu Dias. The Territory of Walvis Bay became a British possession in 1878, and in 1884 it was incorporated into the then Cape Colony.
Walvis Bay was formerly a whaling station. Originally the bay was too shallow for use by Ocean Steamers but it has systemically dredged and the first quay for passengers and cargo vessels was opened in 1927. Walvis Bay is the centre of the important fishing industry on the west coast and also handles the exporting of minerals from Namibia.

55c East London:
East London port is situated in the mouth of the Buffalo River. In 1835 the river was surveyed for a possible harbour for longboats to carry passengers and cargo from the ships on the road to and from the harbour but it came to noting.
1847 A new attempt was made to open a port and this was also not successful.
Only when there where diamonds found in Grqualand there came sufficient money free to start again. In 1872 the first shipments with equipment arrived and after setting up a platform for the cranes the construction was started of the south breakwater.
1875 The first wharf was constructed, 1876 another and in 1877 a third wharf.
1993 The harbour has now 2.6km of quay, and several railway lines connect the port with Transvaal and other regions. The turnover in that year appr. 3 million tons and 26,000 containers a year.
In the foreground is a white hulled cargo vessel visible, most probably a reefer vessel.

70c Port Elizabeth: On 12 March 1488 Bartolomeu Dias became the first recorded Occidental to call at Bahia de Lagos as he named the bay now known as Algoa Bay. As a seaport, however, the town of Port Elizabeth owns it origin to the British settlers of 1820. After their arrival, the need for a customs post arose. In 1825 the bay was given port status with the appointment of a port master, and a year later a collector was appointed. Today, Port Elizabeth is the fifth largest cargo-handling port in South Africa. The port has more as 3,400m of quayage and a container terminal with two berths. Recently a large container-handling terminal for imported motor vehicle components was developed.

90c Cape Town Harbour: Table Bay has been used as a landing place by passing ships ever since Bartolemeu Dias rounded the Cape of Good Hope in 1488. The port grew from the refreshment station founded by Jan van Riebeeck in April 1652 for ships of the Dutch East India Company. In 1656 work was started on a wooden jetty to facilitate the landing of small boats. During World War II, Cape Town handled more than 400 convoys, saw 13,000 ships repaired, and took in about 6 million soldiers. During the Suez crises in 1973, the port handled an enormous amount of shipping. Today (1993) Cape Town handled some 4.5 million of cargo annually. There are sophisticated container handling facilities as well as two dry-docks and extensive service facilities.

Durban Harbour: In 1823 the brig SALISBURY viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10957&p=11622&hilit=salisbury#p11622 sheltered in a bay on the Natal coast during a sudden storm. Impressed by the potential of the bay, Lieutenants King and Farewell obtained a concession for a trading store on the waterfront. Thus began the history of South Africa’s busiest port. Today over 500.000 containers are handled at the container terminal annually, the largest in Africa. A large passenger terminal also provides for the needs of ocean travellers.

Source: South Africa Post and internet.
South Africa 1993 35c/R1.05 sg 772/76, scott 844/48

The Battle of “Soleil Royal” and “Britannia” in 1692

The scene in this painting depicts Soleil Royal and Britannia exchanging fire during the Battle of Barfleur in 1692. Lead by Adm. Tourvilles and sorely outnumbered, the French fleet, purportedly under order from King Louis XIV, attacked the Allied fleet, which consisted of Dutch and British ships. The battle was fierce, and in the end, the French, overwhelmed, were forced to flee, splitting into two groups. Soleil Royal, the flagship of Adm. Tourvilles, along with eleven other French ships were pressed by the Allied fleet and driven ashore at Cape La Hougue. The Allied fleet brought up their fire ships and destroyed Soleil Royal along with the other eleven French ships in the surf off la Hougue. The remainder of the French fleet, caught in the famous tidal race of Alderney, were swept to the west where they took refuge in various creeks, some driven ashore. The design stamp is made after painting of James A Flood.

Source: Ivory Coast 2018;2170f.


For the 20th Anniversary of the Algerian Coast Guard service, Algeria issued one stamp which shows a patrol boat of the Coast Guard at that time.

In 1993 only one type was in use, the Kebir-class which were replaced in 1994 by a Chinese type patrol boat.

The first three were built in the U.K. the others in Algeria. The first was built in 1982 the last in?
Displacement 250 tons, dim. 37.5 x 6.86 x 1.78m.
Powered by two diesel engines, 6,000 bhp., twin shafts, speed 27 knots.
Armament 1 – 25mm AA gun and 2 – 14.5mm MG.
Crew 27.
So far I can find 6 were in the service of the Coast Guard, the others by the Algerian Navy.

Source: Internet various sites.
Algeria 1993 2.00D sg 1123, scott?


The full index of our ship stamp archive


Postby aukepalmhof » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Image (34).jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a 3th Rate ship-of-the-line by the Portsmouth Drydock for the Royal Navy.
12 October 1768 ordered.
May 1769 keel laid down.
03 September 1777 launched under the name HMS LION.
Tonnage 1.377 ton, dim. 159.0 x 44.8 x 19.0ft.
Armament: Lower deck 26 – 24pdrs., upper deck 26 – 18pdrs., quarter deck 10 – 9 pdrs., forecastle 2 – 9pdrs. (1794 increased with 2 – 24pdrs. carronades), poopdeck from 1794, 6 – 18pdrs..
Crew 500.
07 September 1778 completed.

May 1778 commissioned.
06 July 1779 she fought in the Battle of Grenada under command of Capt. William Cornwallis, she was badly damaged, and forced to run down winds to Jamaica, she stayed the next year on the Jamaica station.
March 1780 she came in action with two other Royal Navy ships to a larger French force off San Domingo, while a second action took place off Bermuda in June 1780 with a French force carrying the troops of Rochambeau to North America. The British squadron was not strong enough, and the French squadron did not seek the confrontation and pressed on. Most probably the LION and her squadron were homeward bound.
December 1780 till January 1781 refitted and coppered at Portsmouth.
August 1783 after the war she paid off.
Under repair from February till September 1787 at Portsmouth.
June 1790 re-commissioned under Capt. Seymour Finch, for the Spanish.
September 1791 paid off.
Again fitted out at Portsmouth from March till July 1792.
May 1792 re-commissioned under command of Sir Erasmus Gower.
26 September 1792 she sailed out from Spithead with on board Lord Mccartney’s with his suite of 100 beside soldiers and servants for the court at Peking as ambassador to the Chinese Emperor Tchien Lung. With her was the tender HMS JACKALL and the East Indiaman HINDUSTAN.
The JACKALL lost contact in a gale off Portland on 28th September and made the voyage independently till she made again contact on 23 March 1793.
On her passage from Batavia to North Island (where is that?) she struck a knoll, but got not much damage.
October 1794 after her return paid off at Chatham, got a refit there till April 1795.

February 1795 re-commissioned under command of Capt.George Palmer, for the North Sea station.
Command was later taken over by Capt. Henry Inman.
1796 Command taken over by Capt. Edmund Crawley her crew took part in the Noire mutiny in 1797.
July 1797 command taken over by Charles Cobb, and in September 1797 under command of Capt. Manley Dixon.
02 June 1798 sailed for the Mediterranean, took part in the blockade of Malta 1798 –1800.
15 July 1798 came in action against the Spanish frigates SANTA CAZILDA (34-guns), POMONA, PROSERPINE, and SANTA DOROTEA off Cartagena, the SANTA DOROTEA armed with 42 guns and a crew of 370 was captured. The LION had only 2 men wounded.
08 April under command of Capt. Lord William Stuart till July when command was taken over by Capt George Hammond.
30 August 1800 together with the PENELOPE and FOUDROYANT took the French Le GUILLAUME TELL off Malta. During this action she lost 8 men and got 38 wounded.
November 1800 paid off at Chatham, got a refit there from February till May 1801.
March 1801 re-commissioned under command of Capt. Henry Mitford.
19 May 1801 sailed together with a convoy of East Indiamen from Portsmouth for China.
1803 After her return in reserve at Chatham.
Under repair by John Dudman at Deptford from December 1804 till December 1805.
December 1805 under command of Robert Rolles, and January 1805 re-commissioned.
May 1806 sailed for the East Indies, convoyed home some East Indiamen. After her return in the Channel Fleet.
27 December 1807 took the privateer La RÉCIPROCITÉ (14-guns) which had sailed from Dieppe off Beachy Head.
February 1808 under command of Capt. Henry Heathcote, 05 March 1808 she sailed for China.
18 July 1810 sailed again for the East Indies.
July 1811 at reduction at Java.
1812 Flagship of Vice Admiral Robert Stopford at the Cape of Good Hope.
From 1812 till 1813 under difference captains flagship of Rear Admiral Charles Tyler at the Cape.
August 1814 fitted out as a sheer hulk at Plymouth.
September 1816 moved to Sheerness.
30 November 1837 sold to John Levy & Son at Chatham for £2.300 for breaking up.

She is one of the two-deckers depict on the stamp.

Source: British Warships in the age of Sail 1793 – 1817 by Rif Winfield.
Malta 2006 29c sg?, scott?
Posts: 5631
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 66 guests