SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

TRIREME

The stamp shows in the background a “trireme” : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12113&p=16176&hilit=trireme#!lightbox[gallery]/5/

The Bosnia& Herzegovina Post gives the following by the stamp, most is about the Iris and noting about the depicted vessel.

About Myths and Flora 2007 - The Illyrian Iris in Myths

Perunika (Iris) was named after Perun – Slavic God of Thunder. Legend says that perunika would overgrow in the place that was touched by Perun’s lightning.
Many species of Iris grows in Herzegovina and Dalmatia: Iris illyrica, iris croatica, and Iris pseudopallida. Many antiques writers, such as Teofrast, Nicander and Plinius, mention it.

The root of perunika was used in medicine and in agriculture, but its biggest value was in perfumery. According to the Plinius, the odour of perunika was produced only by Greek cities such as Corint, who led in perfume manufacturing and exported it all over the Mediterranean, and Kizik. Hereof testimony many ceramic pots for perfumes – alabastron and aryballos. In the first fase, the perfume was in liquidity, but Corinthians were started to produce fixed perfume (Greek stymma, something like today’s cream). It was more economical for transport and it was prepared for special pots – pikside.
Many pots for perfumes were found in the field of Narona where, in the IV. century B.C, Greeks founded emporium (port) and established market place in the Neretva, on which boats and ships triere – trireme, were sailing.

Plinius Secundus, in his encyclopedia Naturalis historis writes: “Iris laudatissima in Illyrico, et ibi quoque non in maritimis, sed in silvestribus Drilonis et Naronae”. (Perunika from Illyrica is very praised, not those along the shore, but those in the woods along Drim and Neretva).

Bosnia& Herzegovina 2007 3.00KM sg?, scott?

DEPORTATION OF THE PEOPLE OF ST PIERRE et MIQUELON in 1793

The stamp issued in 1993 by St Pierre et Miquelon shows the people leaving by most probably fishing boats St Pierre et Miquelon after the British captured the island on 14 May 1793 and the people living there were deported. In the background of the stamp, the island is visible, and the people in the first boat are looking for the last time to the island.

The people of the island were deported to Magdalen Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1993 5f10 sg 698. Scott 591.
Source: Internet

HMS Diana (1794)

HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794. Because Diana served in the Royal Navy's Egyptian campaign between 8 March 1801 and 2 September, her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal that the Admiralty authorized in 1850 to all surviving claimants. Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. (Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.) On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers. Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder. The design stamp is made after painting of Tom Freeman.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Diana_(1794). Ivory Coast 2018;500f.

SOUTH AFRICAN PORTS

35c Walvis Bay Harbour:
This bay is on the west coast of South Africa was marked on Portuguese marine charts as early as 1487. The natural harbour was named Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicao by Bartolomeu Dias. The Territory of Walvis Bay became a British possession in 1878, and in 1884 it was incorporated into the then Cape Colony.
Walvis Bay was formerly a whaling station. Originally the bay was too shallow for use by Ocean Steamers but it has systemically dredged and the first quay for passengers and cargo vessels was opened in 1927. Walvis Bay is the centre of the important fishing industry on the west coast and also handles the exporting of minerals from Namibia.

55c East London:
East London port is situated in the mouth of the Buffalo River. In 1835 the river was surveyed for a possible harbour for longboats to carry passengers and cargo from the ships on the road to and from the harbour but it came to noting.
1847 A new attempt was made to open a port and this was also not successful.
Only when there where diamonds found in Grqualand there came sufficient money free to start again. In 1872 the first shipments with equipment arrived and after setting up a platform for the cranes the construction was started of the south breakwater.
1875 The first wharf was constructed, 1876 another and in 1877 a third wharf.
1993 The harbour has now 2.6km of quay, and several railway lines connect the port with Transvaal and other regions. The turnover in that year appr. 3 million tons and 26,000 containers a year.
In the foreground is a white hulled cargo vessel visible, most probably a reefer vessel.

70c Port Elizabeth: On 12 March 1488 Bartolomeu Dias became the first recorded Occidental to call at Bahia de Lagos as he named the bay now known as Algoa Bay. As a seaport, however, the town of Port Elizabeth owns it origin to the British settlers of 1820. After their arrival, the need for a customs post arose. In 1825 the bay was given port status with the appointment of a port master, and a year later a collector was appointed. Today, Port Elizabeth is the fifth largest cargo-handling port in South Africa. The port has more as 3,400m of quayage and a container terminal with two berths. Recently a large container-handling terminal for imported motor vehicle components was developed.

90c Cape Town Harbour: Table Bay has been used as a landing place by passing ships ever since Bartolemeu Dias rounded the Cape of Good Hope in 1488. The port grew from the refreshment station founded by Jan van Riebeeck in April 1652 for ships of the Dutch East India Company. In 1656 work was started on a wooden jetty to facilitate the landing of small boats. During World War II, Cape Town handled more than 400 convoys, saw 13,000 ships repaired, and took in about 6 million soldiers. During the Suez crises in 1973, the port handled an enormous amount of shipping. Today (1993) Cape Town handled some 4.5 million of cargo annually. There are sophisticated container handling facilities as well as two dry-docks and extensive service facilities.

Durban Harbour: In 1823 the brig SALISBURY viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10957&p=11622&hilit=salisbury#p11622 sheltered in a bay on the Natal coast during a sudden storm. Impressed by the potential of the bay, Lieutenants King and Farewell obtained a concession for a trading store on the waterfront. Thus began the history of South Africa’s busiest port. Today over 500.000 containers are handled at the container terminal annually, the largest in Africa. A large passenger terminal also provides for the needs of ocean travellers.

Source: South Africa Post and internet.
South Africa 1993 35c/R1.05 sg 772/76, scott 844/48

The Battle of “Soleil Royal” and “Britannia” in 1692

The scene in this painting depicts Soleil Royal and Britannia exchanging fire during the Battle of Barfleur in 1692. Lead by Adm. Tourvilles and sorely outnumbered, the French fleet, purportedly under order from King Louis XIV, attacked the Allied fleet, which consisted of Dutch and British ships. The battle was fierce, and in the end, the French, overwhelmed, were forced to flee, splitting into two groups. Soleil Royal, the flagship of Adm. Tourvilles, along with eleven other French ships were pressed by the Allied fleet and driven ashore at Cape La Hougue. The Allied fleet brought up their fire ships and destroyed Soleil Royal along with the other eleven French ships in the surf off la Hougue. The remainder of the French fleet, caught in the famous tidal race of Alderney, were swept to the west where they took refuge in various creeks, some driven ashore. The design stamp is made after painting of James A Flood.

Source:http://www.jamesaflood.com/soleil.html Ivory Coast 2018;2170f.

KEBIR CLASS PATROL BOAT

For the 20th Anniversary of the Algerian Coast Guard service, Algeria issued one stamp which shows a patrol boat of the Coast Guard at that time.

In 1993 only one type was in use, the Kebir-class which were replaced in 1994 by a Chinese type patrol boat.

The first three were built in the U.K. the others in Algeria. The first was built in 1982 the last in?
Displacement 250 tons, dim. 37.5 x 6.86 x 1.78m.
Powered by two diesel engines, 6,000 bhp., twin shafts, speed 27 knots.
Armament 1 – 25mm AA gun and 2 – 14.5mm MG.
Crew 27.
So far I can find 6 were in the service of the Coast Guard, the others by the Algerian Navy.

Source: Internet various sites.
Algeria 1993 2.00D sg 1123, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Falkland Islands Shipwrecks part 2 2018

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Falkland Islands Shipwrecks part 2 2018

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Glengowan.wreck jpg.jpg
Click image to view full size
2018 glengowan.jpg
Click image to view full size
2018 jhelum.jpg
Click image to view full size
Golden_Chance_LT (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
2018 GOLDEN CHANCE.jpg
Click image to view full size
2018 LADY ELIZABETH.jpg
Click image to view full size
The extraordinary voyages of 16th century seafarers transformed history as newly-developed deep-water sailing ships, equipped with the mariner’s compass, enabled Europeans to venture beyond the horizon and scour the oceans for new land, dreams and gold. During one such voyage in 1592, to the Magellan Straits, the little recognized but most accomplished navigator, John Davis, in his ship, Desire, was storm-blown under bare poles amongst these apparently unknown and unpeopled islands. But it is likely that the archipelago had been quietly known about for years by the major sea powers, as an ill-defined cluster of blobs appear, vaguely positioned near the eastern end of the Magellan Strait, on maps from 1507 onwards. Amerigo Vespucci may well have seen them from the deck of a Portuguese ship as early as 1502.

The 700 islands, islets, rocks and reefs which comprise the Falklands are situated some 315 nautical miles down-wind and down-stream from Cape Horn. Battered by frequent gales and surrounded by strong currents, the Islands have always provided both peril and sanctuary for the seafarer. Over 180 ships are known to have met their end in the wild seas which surround the Falklands. Without doubt there will have been others which sank without trace.

During the 1850’s there was a sudden upsurge in sea-borne traffic around Cape Horn. Vessels trading in Californian and Australian gold, Chilean copper and Peruvian guano began calling into Stanley for repair and provisions. The nearest alternative port was Montevideo a thousand miles to the north. Some ships attempting to round the Horn were overloaded, some unseaworthy, and others simply unlucky. Many suffered severe battering and, riding the prevailing westerlies, limped back into harbour to lick their wounds. A few lame ducks never recovered. Others were deliberately wrecked and their cargoes sold by unscrupulous dealers. The growing port gained a notorious reputation and a flock of worn-out windjammers. Several are still stuck in the Stanley harbour mud. But time and tide and two pernicious sea worms, the teredo and the gribble, have hastened their demise and in many cases their crumbling woodwork has all but disappeared.
This issue, the second in the Shipwrecks series, depicts some of those vessels which finished their days beached along the Falklands’ shorelines. They remain an integral part of the Islands’ history and a reminder of the salty men who sailed in them.

GLENGOWAN
GLENGOWAN was built of steel in Glasgow in 1895. Two months out on a maiden voyage from Swansea to San Francisco via Cape Horn, her cargo of coal became dangerously overheated and she made for Port Stanley. She caught fire in Port William, was scuttled, and remained as a burned-out hulk in Whalebone Cove for a decade. In 1910 she was purchased by the New Whaling Company and towed to New Island to be used as storage. She later broke her moorings in a gale and now rests on a rocky shoreline close to the present-day settlement.

Built as an iron hulled barque rigged vessel by Anderson & Rodgers Co., Port Glasgow for Archibald Sterling & Co, Glasgow.
Tonnage 1,967 grt, 74.7 x 11.4 x 6.9m.
1895 Completed.
15 October 1895 sailed on her maiden voyage from Swansea, Bristol Canal loaded with coal and under command of Capt. Doughty bound for San Francisco via Cape Horn.
The voyage and fire, loss of the vessel are given in: http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/sccli ... /16951.asp
1909 bought by the New Whaling Co. Ltd. (Chr. Salvesen & Co) Leith, Scotland and towed from Stanley to New Island, Falkland Islands for use as a coal storage hulk.
1910 A hole was cut in her stern and a ramp fitted between ship and shore, to allow small coal wagons more easily to enter the hold for discharging the coal.
In 1916 the whale station was closed on New Island and the GLENGOWAN abandoned and left behind there, she sank later at her moorings.
2018 Some of her hull is still visible till today.
Sources: various web-sites.


JHELUM
The 428-ton, three-masted barque, JHELUM , was launched on 24th May 1849. During her working life she completed 18 voyages, mainly between Europe and South America. Under the command of Captain James Beaglehole, she departed Callao on the return leg of her final voyage on 12th July 1870, bound for Dunkirk with a cargo of Peruvian guano from the Guanape Islands. Thirty-eight days out, and following a rough passage, she put into Stanley “leaky with jettison”. Her crew refused to continue and, following a survey, Jhelum was condemned and never sailed again. In recent years her remains were the most intact among the remarkable but fast decaying collection of 19th century wooden sailing ships which once decorated the fringes of Stanley Harbour. During a winter storm in October 2008 the bow finally collapsed. The stern followed suit in August 2013. All that remains today is part of the vessel’s midsection.
More info and details are given on: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9685&p=18558&hilit=jhelum#p18558

GOLDEN CHANCE
GOLDEN CHANCE was a 90 ton Lowestoft steam drifter. She was launched in 1914. During the 2nd World War she worked as a barrage balloon boat. After failing the Board of Trade standards she was purchased by the Colonial Development Corporation and set off for the Falklands in August 1949. She eventually made it down but only after steel reinforcing in Montevideo prevented her from possibly breaking up on the high seas. For much of the voyage she was towed by the Protector 3, which now lies on the beach at New Island. GOLDEN CHANCE worked as a sealer for three years at Albemarle in West Falkland but was eventually pensioned off and now lies beached at the Canache at the east end of Stanley Harbour.
She was launched in 1914 as a steam drifter under the name GOLDEN CHANCE on the yard of Messr. John Chambers Ltd in Lowestoft, U.K. for Frederick James Offord, Lowestoft.
Tonnage ca. 90 ton, dim. 25.60 x 5.79m.
Powered by steam engine, manufactured by Messrs Crabtree & Co. Ltd., Great Yarmouth, hp?, speed?.
1915-1919 During World War I hired as a mine-sweeper armed with 1 – 3pdr. gun.
During World War II used as a barrage balloon boat.
After the war she steamed out from the U.K. together with the PROTECTOR III after she a was acquired by the Colonial Development Corporation for use as a sealer by the South Atlantic Sealing Co., Falkland Islands. The passage took two months.
Broke adrift from her moorings in a gale and became a total loss after grounding in the Canache.
Source: Ships of the Royal Navy Vol 2 by Colledge. Condemned at Stanley by John Smith.

Lady Elizabeth
The “Lady Liz”, as she is affectionately known, sits cradled in sand at Whalebone Cove. Amongst Stanley’s assortment of dead sailing ships, she alone retains her masts and her grandeur. A 223ft iron barque, built in Sunderland in 1879, she made several visits to the Falklands during the course of her working life. On one voyage, in 1899, she brought bricks and cement for the new Cathedral and wood for the rival Tabernacle. In December 1912, under Captain Petersen, Lady Elizabeth departed Vancouver with a cargo of Oregon pine, bound for Delagoa Bay in Mozambique by way of Cape Horn. It was to be her final voyage. Severely battered by gales some 300 miles to the west of the Cape, and with her deck cargo and four men washed overboard, she put into Berkeley Sound on 12th March 1913. At the northern entrance she struck the Uranie Rock, was holed, and lost a section of keel. Three days later she was towed into Stanley by the tug, SAMSON , for repairs. But LADY ELIZABETH was never to sail again. Instead, she was condemned and, together with her valuable cargo, sold to the Falkland Islands Company for just £3350. Stripped to bare essentials, she became a floating warehouse for the following two decades. During a gale, on 17th February 1936, the old lady broke free of her moorings and drifted to her present position close to Stanley Airport.
More detail and history are given on: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10313

Text by Tony Chater.
http://www.pobjoystamps.com/contents/en ... art_2.html
Falkland Islands 2018 31p/£1.22 sg?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5631
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 62 guests

cron