NORLANDIA 1918

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

NORLANDIA 1918

Post by aukepalmhof » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:35 pm

In Watercraft Philately of March/April 1971 page 35 was a question on the dark-hulled topsail schooner with painted ports, which is depict on the tourism 10c stamp issued in 1969 by the British Virgin Islands. It is given as the NORLANDIA ex HARALD built in 1918. A photo after which the ship was designed you can find in the book “Great Sailing Ships” by Otmar Schauffelen. Can’t find a confirmation in Watercraft Philately that she is the vessel depict on the stamp.
I found a photo on the net and I agree she is most probably the NORLANDIA, it is the only 3-masted schooner rigged vessel around that time with painted ports.

Built in 1918 by C.Tommerup, Hobro, Denmark, not an owner given but she was used in the cement transport trade in Denmark by the Danish Cement Centrale.
Tonnage 145 dwt, 94,82 brt, 72.22 nrt. Dim. 34.00 x 6.60 x 2.50m, length bpp 25.10m.