Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

PHILOMEL (G.B.)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

PHILOMEL (G.B.)

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:37 pm

philomel.jpg
philomel.jpg (11.41 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Click image to view full size
Philomel (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
PHILOMEL was a motor fishing vessel built by J. G. Forbes & Company of Sandhaven, Aberdeenshire in 1945. She had an overall length of 23.01M. (75.5’) a beam of 5.80m. (19’) and a 2.36m. (7.75’) draught. Her hull was framed in oak and clad with larch. She was powered by a 140hp Blackstone Lister diesel engine and could carry around 40 tons of cargo. The vessel was purchased by the Falkland Islands Government and arrived in the Falklands on February 11th, 1948 at a total cost of around £14500. She was operated as a coastal supply ship around the islands until being replaced in 1966 by mv FORREST. The Falkland Islands Monthly Review of 4th September 1967 noted “This little vessel has served the Colony well and camp people will, we are sure, miss her welcome calls with cargo and mails.” PHILOMEL was sold to Mr Freddie Jones. In February 1969, “Cracker” Jack Davis borrowed her to tow the PROTECTOR 3 around to New Island. On July 2nd 1971 PHILIMEL caught fire while at anchor off the FIC west jetty. She was towed by the tug LIVELY, to her final resting place at Fairy Cove where she continued to burn until Sunday 4th, becoming a total loss.

(Falkland Islands 2019, £1.01, StG.?)
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 62 guests