MACKINAW USCGC icebreaker-buoy-tender

Built as a icebreaker-buoy-tender under yard no 601 by Marinette Marine Corporation (MMC), Marinette, USA for the USA Coastguard.

Laid down: February 09, 2004.
Launched: April 2, 2005 under the name USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30), the name Mackinaw has its roots in the ancient Native American language of the Great Lakes. Specifically, it is derived from the word Michilimackinac in the Ojibwa language, meaning "Island of the Great Turtle." Both Mackinaw (the English derivation) and Mackinac (the French derivation where "ac" is pronounced "aw") are derived from this word and pronounced Mak'ino.
Displacement 3,500 ton, dim. 73 x 17.8 x 4.9m. (draught), length bpp. 69.9m.
The ship is powered by 3 Caterpillar Turbocharged V-12 engines that drive 2 ABB electric propulsion drives that deliver a combined 9,200 horsepower. They are Caterpillar 3612 engines, turning Kato Generators. Mackinaw has 3 MDG’s. Each producing about 3.5 Megawatts of electric power. Mackinaw has an integrated electric plant. This means that the main generators provide electric power for both propulsion (ABB Azipods) and ship’s electric services (everything else). Speed 16 knots.
Crew 9 officers and 46 enlisted.
Commissioned: June 10, 2006, Homeport: Cheboygan, Michigan IMO No 9271054.

WLBB: The W preceding the number of all Coast Guard ships since World War II signifies them as Coast Guard vessels. WLB is the Coast Guard’s designation for seagoing buoy-tenders. The L stands for load-bearing working boat, and the B specifies its size category (big). The LB designates this vessel as a big buoy-tender, and the last B stands for icebreaker.

USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30) is a 240-foot (73 m) vessel built as a heavy icebreaker for operations on the North American Great Lakes for the United States Coast Guard. IMO number: 9271054. She should not be confused with a namesake ship, the USCGC MACKINAW (WAGB-83), IMO number 6119534, which was decommissioned on June 10, 2006.
MACKINAW was delivered to the Coast Guard on November 18, 2005 and commissioned on June 10, 2006. In addition to her ice-breaking duties, the MACKINAW will also serve as an Aids to Navigation ship, able to perform the same duties as the Seagoing Buoy Tenders (WLB) of the Coast Guard fleet. Further, she can conduct law enforcement and search and rescue missions and can deploy an oil skimming system to respond to oil spill situations and environmental response. One of the MACKINAW's unique features in the US Coast Guard fleet is the use of two Azipod units, ABB's brand of electric azimuth thrusters, for her main propulsion. These, coupled with a 550 hp (410 kW) bow thruster, make the ship exceptionally maneuverable. The Azipod units also remove the need for a traditional rudder, as the thrusters can turn 360 degrees around their vertical axis to direct their thrust in any direction. The MACKINAW also lacks a traditional ship's steering wheel. Much of the ship’s technology, including the Azipod thrusters, is from Finnish Maritime Cluster. Additionally, the MACKINAW can continuously proceed through fresh water ice up to 32 inches (81 cm) thick at 3 knots or 14 inches (36 cm) at 10 knots. She can also break smooth, continuous ice up to 42 inches (107 cm) thick through ramming.

The MACKINAW got off to a rocky start before being commissioned. While en-route to her new home port of Cheboygan, Michigan, the MACKINAW struck a seawall in Grand Haven, Michigan on December 12, 2005. The accident caused a 10-foot (3.0 m) dent in the bow of the MACKINAW on her starboard side. Shortly after the accident, Captain Donald Triner, the commanding officer of the MACKINAW, was temporarily relieved of duty pending an investigation into the accident. The accident did not delay the ship's scheduled arrival in her new home port; she arrived on December 17, 2005. Captain Triner was later permanently relieved of duty and replaced by Captain Michael Hudson, who was replaced in turn by Commander John Little in April 2006. CDR Scott J. Smith assumed command in July 2008 and was relieved by CDR Michael J. Davanzo in Aug, 2011. In June 2014, CDR Vasilios Tasikas assumed command. In June 2017, CDR John Stone assumed command. The MACKINAW is stationed at Cheboygan, Michigan. It can be seen and toured at Grand Haven's Coast Guard Festival every summer. The ship was also featured on the television series Modern Marvels. Katmai Bay, stationed at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, helps the USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30) in ice breaking duties.
2019 In service.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Mackinaw_(WLBB-30) en internet.
Guinea 2018 50000 FG sgMS?, scott?

In the margin you see a freefall lifeboat and a helicopter picking up survivors. I have been sailing on ships fitted with a freefall lifeboat and in my eyes she are the best system for a lifeboat to get safely and very quickly of a vessel.

Wikipedia gives for the freefall lifeboat:
Some ships have a freefall lifeboat stored on a downward sloping slipway normally on the stern of the vessel. These freefall lifeboats drop into the water when the holdback is released. Such lifeboats are considerably heavier as they are strongly constructed to survive the impact with water. Freefall lifeboats are used for their capability to launch nearly instantly, and high reliability in any conditions. Since 2006 they have been required on bulk carriers that are in danger of sinking too rapidly for conventional lifeboats to be released. Seagoing oil rigs are also customarily equipped with this type of lifeboat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeboat_(shipboard)
$post_attachment_names[$j]

LST-406

The full index of our ship stamp archive

LST-406

Postby aukepalmhof » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:52 pm

LST-406 photo.jpg
Click image to view full size
2019 LST-406 (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a Tank Landing Ship (LST) under yard no 926 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Fairfield Yard, Baltimore, MD for the U.S.A. Maritime Commission.
01 September 1942 launched as the USS LST-406.
Displacement 1,625 ton light, 4,080 ton full load, dim. 99.97 x 15.24 x 4.28m (maximum draught)
Powered by two General Motors 12-567A diesel engines, 900hp. Twin shafts, speed 11.6 kts. (trial)
Endurance 24,000 miles @ 9kts. while displacing 3960 tons
Fitted with two rudders.
Carried 2 LCVP
Cargo Capacity (varied with mission - payloads between 1600 and 1900 tons)
Typical loads
One Landing Craft Tank (LCT), tanks, wheeled and tracked vehicles, artillery, construction equipment and military supplies. A ramp or elevator forward allowed vehicles access to tank deck from main deck
Additional capacity included sectional pontoons carried on each side of vessel amidships, to either build Rhino Barges or use as causeways. Married to the bow ramp, the causeways would enabled payloads to be delivered ashore from deeper water or where a beachhead would not allow the vessel to be grounded forward after ballasting.
Armament - UK Lend Lease built vessels were to be outfitted with armament after convoying across Atlantic and included
One - 12 Pounder anti-aircraft multi-barrel mount
Six - 20MM single gun mounts
Four - Fast Aerial Mine (FAM) mounts
Crew 13 officers and 104 men, Troop capacity 16 officers and 147 men.
26 December 1942 commissioned as the HMS LST-406.

HMS LST-406 sailed for Europe in convoy SC125. LST-406 left Halifax, Nova Scotia, along with sister ships LST-336 and LST-319, in convoy SC 125 for Liverpool, 31 March 1943, arriving 14 April 1943 in Liverpool.

She participated in the Sicily, Salerno, Anzio and Normandy operations.
For the Normandy landings she loaded at Felixstown. Left Harwich and Thames River in Follow-up-Convoy L1, arrived Eastern Task Force area 6th.

Underwent a refit from August till December 1944 on the Clyde where after she believed sailed to Colombo.

13 April 1946 paid off in Subic Bay, Philippines, and returned to US Navy custody.

https://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/160406.htm Ships Without Names by Brian MacDermott. The D-Day Ships by John de S.Winser.

HMS LST-406 was a United States Navy LST-1-class tank landing ship that was transferred to the Royal Navy during World War II. As with many of her class, the ship was never named. Instead, she was referred to by her hull designation.
Construction
LST-406 was laid down on 1 September 1942, under Maritime Commission (MARCOM) contract, MC hull 926, by the Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Baltimore, Maryland; launched 28 October 1942; then transferred to the United Kingdom and commissioned on 26 December 1942.

Service history
LST-406 left Halifax, Nova Scotia, along with sister ships LST-336 and LST-319, in convoy SC 125 for Liverpool, 31 March 1943, arriving 14 April 1944.
LST-406 saw no active service in the United States Navy. The tank landing ship was decommissioned and returned to United States Navy custody on 11 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947. On 5 December 1947, LST-406 was sold to Bosey, Philippines, for scrapping. However, as late as 1978, she was reported to be in commercial service as CHUNG 116, flagged for the People's Republic of China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_LST-406
Falkland Islands 2019 £1.26 sg>, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5983
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 67 guests

cron