Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

300th ANNIVERSARY OF NYHOLM

The full index of our ship stamp archive

300th ANNIVERSARY OF NYHOLM

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:44 pm

NYHOLM.jpg
Click image to view full size
1990 Nyholm FDC.jpg
Click image to view full size
1990 Nyholm 1.jpg
Click image to view full size
Denmark released a stamp on 5 April 1990 commemorating the establishment of Nyholm in 1690. The stamp is based on a section of a vignette drawn by C.O. Willards during the time of Frederik V.

With the continued growth of Copenhagen, the Royal Danish Navy started at the end of the 17th century to gradually move its activities from Bremerholm to the filled-in area at the other side of the harbour basin, what was later to be known as the Naval Station of Copenhagen.

The sinking of ships continued, loaded with mud from the harbour and trash from Copenhagen's streets. In certain streets, there could be more than one meter of trash, so there was plenty to take. These efforts gradually formed an island, which was given the name Nyholm.
It was to this island that the naval shipyard was relocated. The first ship which was sailing to sea from this shipyard was the first DANNEBROG in 1692. Afterward, the construction of all large ships was moved to Nyholm, and at Bremerholm, now called Gammelholm, only smaller vessels were built.

Over the following centuries, workshops and barracks mushroomed over Nyholm on the new-filled-in areas at the roadstead of Copenhagen.

From the beginning, the launchings at Nyholm were considered public attractions often attended by the Royal Family. On average, one ship a year was built at Nyholm.
The Holmen area on Nyholm gradually became the biggest workplace in the country and the cradle of the Danish industry. From here, the first private industrial enterprise, Burmeister & Wain’s Shipyard, got its first staff.
The Nyholm Guardhouse, built-in 1744, and the Nyholm Rigging Crane (c1746-1751), which are depicted on the stamp, have been a part of the Copenhagen skyline to the present day. The Guardhouse with its verdigris green tower and the Royal crown, was the setting of the story about the old chief gunner who one evening asked permission of the chief of the guard to lower the flag at the battery of “Sixtus” with the words “will the lieutenant permit the sun to go down?”

The Guardhouse is now the office of the commander of the Naval Station. Erroneously, the popular name of the Nyholm rigging crane has become “Christian IV’s old rigging crane”, although it was not built until about 100 years after the death of the king. It was the crane of the corps of the able seamen, and it was used for careening, erection of masts, and other rigging work.

The Danish Royal Navy will leave much of Holmen this year (1990). However, it will continue to carry out its Copenhagen activities at Nyholm.

The vessel depicted on the First Day Cover of this release is the PEDER SKRAM see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13355&p=14721&hilit=peder+skram#p14721

Source: Watercraft Philately Volume 37 page 12. Wikipedia.
Denmark 1990 4.75 Dkr. Sg 932, scott 913.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 6200
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 62 guests