Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

EURASIA 1925

The full index of our ship stamp archive

EURASIA 1925

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:33 pm

eurasia tekeningkrant.PNG
Click image to view full size
2020 Sailing-Ship--Eurasia-.jpg
Click image to view full size
Latvijas Pasts launched the series of stamps Historical Ships of the 19th Century in 2016 in honour of the period of the rapid development of Latvian seafaring and shipbuilding in the 19th century. The first stamp in the series of historical ships features the sailing ship ANDREAS WEIDE, which was built in Ainaži in 1891. In turn, the second stamp depicts the four-mast gaff schooner ABRAHAM built-in Ventspils in 1891. The third stamps depicts the topsail schooner EURASIA. All stamps in the series can be seen here.

The new stamp in the series of historical ships depicts the four-mast motor-sailing ship EURASIA built-in Plieņciems, Engure Municipality in 1925 and constructed by the renowned Latvian shipbuilder Mārtiņš Morgenšterns. EURASIA was the last largest wooden ship built in Latvia, with a length of 45.5 metres and deadweight of 513 tonnes. In 1933 the ship was wrecked and sunk while transporting cargo across the Atlantic Ocean.

Built as a wooden four-masted fore-and-aft schooner by the yard of Morgenstern in Plienciem, Latvia for W. Satorsky, Riga, Latvia.
Tonnage 513 gross tons, dim. 45.0 x 10.2m
January 1927, one auxiliary diesel engine fitted in, hp?.
Rigged as a four-mast fore-and-aft schooner.
July 1925 completed.

She was wrecked and lost on 05 May 1933 at the Second Bocas in Trinidad.

She was a well-known ship in Dutch ports.
The EURASIA was a regular visitor at Flushing returning with timber from the West Indies destined for Middelburg. From there she sailed towards Antwerp and then via England towards the West Indies. On her last voyage when she was wrecked, was a Dutch young man named G.L. le Lau of Middelburg on board.

According to the Algemeen Handelsblad dated 13 September 1926 was she in Rotterdam fitted out with a 350hp diesel engine manufactured by the firm N.V. Motorenfabriek Deutz. The Rotterdamsch Nieuwsblad dated 30 July reported her arrival with wood for Fried. Schmitz in the Oosterhaven. Another newspaper the Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant dated 10 September reported her lying alongside the Schaardijk for firm Deutz. She was described as a wood built gaff schooner with four high masts built in Riga but completed by her own crew which was also responsible for her maintenance. This common freighter was double hulled, measured 517 gross and 426 net tons with as dimensions 142’x 33’9” x 13’6” (hold). The cabins for captain and officers were situated aft and the accommodation for the sailors, galley and so on fore.

The Middelburgsche Courant dated 23 June 1928 reported the arrival of the motor ship EURASIA coming from the West Indies with a cargo timber destined towards Middelburg. The Vlissingse Courant dated 25 June confirmed her arrival adding that this Latvian 4mast motor ship came from Paramaribo. The Middelburgsche Courant dated 2 July reported that she after unloading her cargo timber departed towards Antwerp, Belgium. From Antwerp, she went again to the West Indies, the Vlissingse Courant dated 21 November reported her arrival that day coming from Paramaribo with timber for Middelburg.

These voyages continued and the Middelburgsche Courant dated 8 July 1929 reported again her arrival with wood; she was now called a motor schooner. As usual, she went from there towards Antwerp ( Middelburgsche Courant dated 20 July). The Algemeen Handelsblad dated 12 June referred to the newspaper Nieuwe Stem which reported that she was underway with a cargo consisting of 400 woodblocks and a cargo cedarwood to experiment with. After unloading in Middelburg she was destined towards Antwerp to load engines for the firm Tropica in Nickerie and then to return again with a cargo of wood.

The next year was her arrival at Flushing reported in the Vlissingse Courant dated 13 November with a cargo so-called greenheart wood. Apparently she was after unloading her cargo docked while the Middelburgsche Courant dated 30 March 1931 reported that she had been docked in Flushing and now-departed towards Methil. The Vlissingse Courant of the same date and of 4 April confirmed that she had been repaired in the dock of the Kon. Mij. De Schelde. The latter edition even published a beautiful sketch of her been docked in the so-called Perry dokje. The Suriname: koloniaal nieuws-en advertentieblad dated 31 March reported that her arrival in July was expected for a cargo of pole wood in Saramacca. The edition dated 27 November reported that her cargo while going to Middelburg weighted 674 tons sent by the N.V. West Indische houthandel maatschappij! This firm in Amsterdam with a concession for an area of 1.200.000 hectares in the major part of river catchment of the rivers Saramacca and Coppename was connected to the Dutch timber trade N.V. Houthandel voorheen G. Albertsz Lza.&Co. in Middelburg. Four months she returned from the West Indies with again a cargo greenheart wood (Middelburgsche Courant dated 8 August). The edition dated the 24th reported that after she unloaded her cargo in Middelburg she departed towards Cardiff.


She was at least three times docked in the Dok van Perry, Vlissingen, namely Wednesday 25 March 1931 07.00 o’clock-Friday 27 March 1931 16.00 o’clock; Saturday 30 January 1932 13.00 o’clock-Wednesday 3 February 1932 10.00 o’clock and 16 September 1832 1.30 o’clock-21 September 1932 13.45 o’clock.

She was built by Martin Morgenstern (1866-1945) in the Plieņciema kāpa in 1925 as the largest ship there built. Wrecked on 5 May 1933 at Bocas, Panama. (must be Trinidad)


A year later again with a cargo wood now from Demerara (Middelburgsche Courant dated 18 January 1932, Vlissingse Courant dated the 18th reported her arrival on the 17th). She was again docked for some repairs after unloading in Middelburg (Middelburgsche Courant and Vlissingse Courant both dated 1 February. After being docked departed she for Blyth (Middelburgsche Courant dated 13 February) coming back in August from Paramaribo ( Middelburgsche Courant dated 22 August).

In the Middelburgsche Courant dated 2 August, 1938 was an interesting note published dealing with a Dutch sailor on board of this ships. He visited the ship several times and had made clear willing to sign. On 23 September 1932 was she still lying at the Loskade in Middelburg and when she departed towards England and the West Indies he went with her. If he knew what was going to happen he would never be going on board. He was a cabin boy who had never sailed before. When he sighted their departure from Flushing he was immediately ordered with some curses to help with the sails instead of doing nothing. One of his fellow sailors called Jimmy a giant with just one eye laughed him in half Dutch half Russian “Ock Galanski jongen niet zien pappie [oh boy did you not see your dad]. O Jebijoemat hep die seil omhoogtrek [help us with the sails]. From Flushing they went to Cardiff. He hardly could converse with the other crew members while five came from Latvia, two from Estonia, one from Austria, one from Russia and one from Spain, the latter two were signed in Flushing. In Cardiff, he went on shore with just two shillings which were in no time spent visiting a cinema but not seeing the other pleasant experiences the other sailors him promised. Form Cardiff was the destination, Sanchez. He was first photographed with a life belt around his head. Via the Canary Islands, they went to Madeira but from there to Sanchez they lacked during 14 days wind. From Sanchez, they went to Puerto Plata. There were 200 donkeys and oxen loaded. On board were regular fights between the sailors even their knives. They continued their voyage towards Martinique, Trinidad and Georgetown. There he saw a small passenger ship of Surinam which was flying the Dutch flag. He tried twice with no result to desert. They returned to Trinidad loaded oil in Point Tortin departing on 2 May again to Georgetown. Off the Second Bocas coast however, they experienced engine failures and lacking wind she hit a coral reef and she was lost. With the lifeboat, they managed to reach the police port at Trinidad. The next day the Estonian consulate they were brought to the home for sailors in Port of Spain. There the life was really worse with all over lice and a meal consisting of dry rice, a banana and a mouthful of bread. The meal was even worse as they got on board. After complaining was they brought to the grand hotel Miranda where they shared one room with eleven men. After a month departed they with the VENEZUELA to Plymouth where they slept during one night on the banks and from there went to London. A week later they could sign on a coaler which most men did not want. The result was an affray in the station with as result the police. The Dutch sailor however managed with help from the Dutch consul to travel with the BATAVIER towards Rotterdam. There he collected the money needed for traveling back home [Middelburg]. The name of the Dutchman was C.L. le Lau
Geplaatst door ALVAMA op 18:36

(The drawing shows her in the dry-dock in Flushing.)

Latvia 2020 1.27 Euro sg?, scott?
Source Latvia Post website and https://www.miramarshipindex.nz
http://warshipsresearch.blogspot.com/20 ... ooner.html
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 6670
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aukepalmhof, Google Adsense [Bot] and 140 guests