Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

NAURU ISSUES 1984 250th ANNIVERSARY OF LLOYDS LIST

The full index of our ship stamp archive

NAURU ISSUES 1984 250th ANNIVERSARY OF LLOYDS LIST

Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:00 pm

1984 ocean queen.jpg
Click image to view full size
1984 enna g (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
1984 baron minto (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
1984 triadic(2).jpg
Click image to view full size
Over the last few centuries, LLOYD'S have become a unique institution, and in every country, in the world, this name is synonymous with insurance and shipping.

The name 'Lloyd's' is derived from the enterprise of Edward Lloyd, who kept a Coffee House in the City of London in the 17th century. A practice arose for Marine Underwriters to resort to his Coffee House to transact their business. Edward Lloyd started his Coffee House in Great Tower Street about 1688 and moved it to Abchurch Lane in 1692. Underwriters would sit there to do business, and merchants or brokers who desired to effect insurances would go there to deal with them. Any policy so effected was, of course, a contract made with the Underwriters who signed it, and Edward Lloyd, who was merely landlord of the Coffee House, was no party to any such contract. Every policy was in the form which is still used, by which Lloyd's Underwriters sign it - 'each one for his own part, etc'. Besides keeping the Coffee House, Edward Lloyd in 1696 started a newspaper of shipping and other intelligence which was of service to his customers in providing them with information. But his main function was to provide a room in which they could do business, which took the place of an 'Exchange' or 'Bourse' as a place of meeting.

Later on, after the death of Edward Lloyd, it was found convenient for Marine Underwriters to have a similar place of business, and in 1770 the 'Society of Lloyd's; as a voluntary association, provided Rooms for its members in Pope's Head Alley. Still later this society moved to rooms in the Royal Exchange, where it remained till 1928, when it moved to its own building in Leadenhall Street. The Society, which until 1871 had been a sort of private club with a committee of management, was then incorporated by an Act of Parliament as the Corporation of Lloyd's. The Act opens with a recital that 'there has long existed in the City of London an Establishment or Society formerly held at Lloyd's Coffee House . . .'

The functions of Lloyd's, as a Corporation, are similar, though on an enormously increased scale, to those of the Coffee House from which it derives its name. Rooms are provided where Members may transact their business and the Corporation publishes daily 'Lloyd's List', which was established in 1734 and is, with the exception of the 'London Gazette', the oldest newspaper in the United Kingdom.

It is and was inevitable that an Island dependent entirely for its very existence on the export of phosphate (and for imports to sustain this industry and foodstuffs for the Nauruan population) that the Nauru Pacific Line shipping should be intricately bound to Lloyd's operation, and as such shortly after the post-independence period the Nauru Phosphate Corporation was appointed Agent of Lloyd's on Nauru Island.

Over a period of 78 years dating from the arrival of the first steamship SS INGER (for the purpose of laying the first moorings) until now, Nauru has been fortunate with its shipping operations. At no time has a tragedy been experienced, apart from the first three ships to visit the island during the period 1906/1909, these vessels being the INGER FIDO and the OCEAN QUEEN, excluding abnormal activities when the TRIADIC Triadic' was sunk by enemy action during the Second World War in 1940. This extraordinary record bears testimony to the skill of the many captains who have over the years moored their vessels on the treacherous reef surrounding the Island. Given in stamp value sequence, technical details in respect of the four vessels depicted in this series are as follows:

20c SS OCEAN QUEEN.
Completed in February 1909by W Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool, for Jacob Christensen of Bergen, as a spar deck steamer of 3188gt being wrecked at Makatea on the 16th September 1909 whilst nearing the end of a ballast passage from Papeete to Makatea. Two interesting features relating to the 'OCEAN QUEEN'
1. The fact that the owner was in 1909 actually Lloyd's agent at Bergen - Mr Christensen's company (who still hold the appointment)
2.The vessel, being fitted with mooring gear, was to signal a new era in the laying of the moorings, but met with disaster when the mooring gear was actually carried away in addition to the fact that the vessel was wrecked as described above. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5837

25c MV ENNA G.
Built in 1961, of 9423gt and carrying 125 passengers, this vessel was initially registered the 'PRINSES MARGRIET` of the Oranje Lijn (Maatschappij Zeetransport) N.V., Rotterdam, serving the North Atlantic to Canada and the Great Lakes. The Oranje Lijn was jointly owned by two Dutch companies, N.A.S.M. and K.P.M., and in 1964 ownership was transferred to Nederlandsch-Amerikaansche Stoomvaart Maatschappij N.V., Rotterdam, prior to purchase by the Government of Nauru, and renamed 'ENNA G'. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8235&p=9608&hilit=enna+g#p9608

30c PHOSPHATE LOADING.Bulk Carrier BARON MINTO
Dating from the early days of phosphate extraction and production, engineers engaged in the industry had visions of a mechanical loading appliance that would permit loading of phosphate direct to a vessel's holds, thus dispensing with the relatively slow, laborious and expensive operation of lightering. This dream was realized on Nauru with the completion of Cantilever No. 1 in September 1930 which permitted a rate of loading of 1,000 tonnes per hour. Designed by the Corporation's Consulting Engineers with the Nauru Engineer and his Executive staff, the installation was completed by a Manchester Company of Civil Engineers and at the time of commissioning was given worldwide publicity in the Professional Press as 'A miracle of Engineering in the Central Pacific’. Following the success of Cantilever No.1, a second Cantilever (featured on the 30c stamp) with a greater loading capacity (1,500 tonnes per hour) was designed and built in Australia and commissioned in 1961. The bulk carrier depicts on the stamp is the BARON MINTO. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7490&p=18680&hilit=baron+minto#p18680

40c MV TRIADIC.
The fourth functional ship built for the British Phosphate Commissioners, 'TRIADIC' was a motorship of 6378gt. On December 6-7, 1940 enemy raiders 'ORION' and 'KOMET', accompanied by the supply ship 'KULMERLAND', attacked shipping drifting off Nauru Island resulting in the loss of three ships of the four owned by the Commissioners. 'ORION' was responsible for sinking the 'TRIONA', 'TRIASTER' and 'TRIADIC' (motorships built in 1931,1935 and 1938) whilst the 'KOMET' sank two charter ships being the Union Steamship Co's KOMATA (built in 1938, 3900gt) and the Norwegian ‘VINNI' (motorship built in 1937, 5181gt). viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7524&p=7520&hilit=triadic#p7520

The Nauru appointment as Agent of Lloyd's must surely rank as being the most distant point of operation of all Agencies under this global Corporation.

The basic layout of the stamps was designed by Mr Leslie Curtis of Great Bookham, England. The central illustrations for the stamps, plus the Official First Day cover and this Presentation Pack were designed by Mr Beverley Barnard of Brighton, England. Although Mr Barnard is a well known Marine Artist (being the President of the SCMA Assoc), this set of stamps is the first he has designed for Nauru. The stamps were printed by lithography in 5 colours, by The House of Questa, in sheets of 50 stamps, on CA Spiral Watermarked paper. The stamp size is 30.56 x 38.00 mm (vertical format), and the release date is 23 May, 1984.

Source from presentation packet of the Nauru Post.
Nauru 1984 20c/40c sg 295/98, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 6391
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aukepalmhof, Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 74 guests