Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

MAORI ferry 1953

The full index of our ship stamp archive

MAORI ferry 1953

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 pm

maori 1953.png
Click image to view full size
2020 maori ms (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a passenger-cargo vessel under yard No 139 by Vickers-Armstrong Ltd., High Walker, Newcastle for the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand.
27 November 1952 launched as the MAORI.
Tonnage 8,303 grt, 3,010 nrt, 1,450 dwt, dim. 138.83 x 19.35 x 8.86m. length bpp 129,90, draught 5.21m.
Powered by two steam turbines, driving 2 generators connected to 6,500 bhp electric motors. The engine was manufactured by British Thomson-Houston Co. Ltd, (BTH), Rugby.
Speed 19 knots service, trial speed 21 knots.
Passenger accommodation for 962 passengers, berths for 800 passengers.
October 1953 delivered to owners.

Career
1951: Ordered to replace RANGATIRA.
27.11.1952: Launched by HRH Princess Margaret.
1953: Her first trials were below design speed which was corrected by a
change in the propeller pitch.
10.1953: Delivered as MAORI to the Union Steam Ship Company of New
Zealand. Homeport Wellington

Built for the Wellington to Lyttelton express ferry service.

10.10.1953: Left on her delivery voyage via the Panama Canal.
15.11.1953: Arrived at Wellington for the eleven-hour Wellington/Lyttelton
service.
27.11.1953: Made her first sailing.
25.12.1959: Following the grounding of RANGATIRA she went to Picton to pick up
her waiting passengers. She arrived back in time to take her normal
sailing only a little behind schedule.
27.02.1962: When berthing stern-first at Lyttelton, she hit and damaged the scow
MOTU.

29.04.1965: Left for Hong Kong to be converted by Taikoo Dockyard &
Engineering Co into a roll-on/roll-off car ferry capable of carrying 90
vehicles. At the time, this was the largest conversion yet attempted.
16.11.1965: Returned to service. Now 7,498 grt. All her lower deck passenger cabins were removed and the deck was converted into a car-deck for 100 vehicles. The forward kingpost mast was removed. (On the stamp is she depict after she was converted.)

31.12.1971: P&O sold their interest in the Union Steam Ship Company to
Tasman Union Lines Ltd and therefore the vessel was no longer in
P&O Group service.

27.03.1972: Replaced by RANGATIRA on the service and subsequently laid up at
Wellington in reserve.
09.1972: Replaced RANGATIRA when the ship suffered turbine problems.
16.10.1972: Once again laid up. In total, she had made 6,023 Cook Strait
crossings carrying 1,239,772 passengers.
1974: Sold to Wiltopps (Asia) Ltd, Hong Kong, for a projected Hong Kong/
Taiwan service but then resold to Yung Tai Steel & Iron Co,
Kaohsiung.
19.01.1974: Left Wellington.
06.03.1974: Arrived in tow of the tug MARINER (Luzon Stevedoring Corp) at
Kaohsiung.
18.04.1974: Demolition commenced by Yung Tai Steel & Iron Co, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

More is given on: http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/MAORI3.htm
https://www.poheritage.com/Upload/Mimsy ... 953pdf.pdf
Guinea-Bissau 2020 3300 FCFA, sg?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 6512
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 55 guests