75th ANNIVERSARY OF D-DAY Gibraltar issues 2020

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

75th ANNIVERSARY OF D-DAY Gibraltar issues 2020

Post by aukepalmhof » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:40 pm

About 75th Anniversary of VE Day
Victory in Europe Day, generally known as VE Day (United Kingdom) or V-E Day (North America), is a day celebrating the formal acceptance by the Allies of World War II of Nazi Germany’s unconditional surrender of its armed forces on 8 May 1945.
Adolf Hitler, the Nazi leader, had committed suicide on 30 April during the Battle of Berlin and Germanys surrender was authorised by his successor, Reichspräsident Karl Donitz.
The administration headed by Dönitz was known as the Flensburg Government.
The act of military surrender was first signed at 02:41 on 7 May in SHAEF HQ at Reims, and a slightly modified document was signed on 8 May in Berlin.
Most European countries celebrate the end of World War II on 8 May. Russia, Belarus, and Serbia celebrate on 9 May, as did several former Soviet bloc countries.
Israel also marks VE Day on 9 May, as a result of the large number of immigrants from the former Soviet bloc, although it is not a public holiday.
The term VE Day existed as early as September 1944, in anticipation of victory.
https://www.wopa-plus.com/en/stamps/product/&pgid=59913

The follow info with thanks I got from the Gibraltar Philatelic Bureau. Two stamps have a maritime theme, both are shown.

64p – Circa 1944 : A group of Royal Marines show charging through a smoke screen in a training exercise.

70p- Circa 1940: A Blackburn Skua two seat fighter and dive bomber of the Fleet Air Arm with arrester hook and wheels lowered, flying over warships of the British Fleet. (I believe it are British battleships in line but I have not any name, who can help?)

80p – British Royal Navy Submarine HMS TANTALUS P318 at sea, see for details: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17399

£2.86 – World War II German bomber chased by a Hawker Hurricane of the RAF in November 1939.

£3.46 – The British Army on Gibraltar, Searchlights pierce the night sky during an air raid practice on Gibraltar, 20 November 1942.

Gibraltar 2020 64p/£3.46 sg?, scott?
Attachments
blackburn skua plane.jpg
2020 battleships in line .jpg
2020 tantalus p318.jpg