This envelope shows us the Italian cruise vessel IRPINIA after she was modernized in 1962 when she visited during a “Midnight Sun Cruise” the Norwegian island Svalbard in 1973.
The stamp has the postmark Longyearbyen (the Longyear town, Svalbard) 18 -06-1973 and the inscription “1897 Ballonger over Arktis” (Balloon over de Arctic) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A ... expedition
Built as a passenger-cargo vessel under yard No 1302 by Swan, Hunter & W. Richardson, Low Walker on Tyne, United Kingdom, for Soc. Generale de Transport Maritimes a Vapeur (SGTM), Marseille, France.
17 September 1928 laid down.
11 June 1929 launched under the name CAMPANA.
Tonnage 10,816 grt, 6.914 dwt, dim. 163.4 x 20.42 x 7.28m, length bpp. 155.4m.
Powered by two steam direct-acting steam turbines, manufactured by Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co, Newcastle, 8,600hp, twin screws, speed 15 knots.
Accommodation for 107 first-class, 96-second class, 56 economic, 230 third class, and 816 fourth class passengers.
1929 delivered to owners.
14 October 1929 sailed for her maiden voyage from Marseilles-Genoa-South America.
During the eleven years which followed, CAMPANA ensured the line of South America from Genoa/ Marseilles towards Dakar, Rio de Janeiro, Santos, Montevideo and Buenos Aires, which was reached in nineteen days.
In June 1940, the CAMPANA was in Buenos Aires during the armistice, it remained there, disarmed, until its requisition by the Argentine government in July 1943.
1943 Transfer to Flota Mercante del Estado, Buenos Aires.
Under the name of RIO JACHAL it was assigned to the Buenos Aires-New York link, on behalf of the American "pool".
1946 Returned to her original owners, and again named CAMPANA.
As it was, without modification, it immediately resumed, with FLORIDA, the line to South America.
In 1951, the commissioning of the magnificent PROVENCE and BRITANNY liners led to the decommissioning of the two old ships iCAMPANA and FLORIDA n Marseille.
The fate of CAMPANA was far from over there.
The needs created by the Indochina war were to save it from demolition.
The Compagnie des Chargeurs Réunis charters it for their Marseille Saigon line.
The arrangements for the transport of emigrants were perfectly suitable for the troops.
He wore the colors of the Chargeurs Réunis until 1954, the cease-fire in Vietnam led to new disarmament of the liner.
From CAMPANA to IRPINIA 1955-1962
In March 1955, the CAMPANA was bought by the Grimaldi brothers, from Genoa, who had just created the Siosa Line (Sicula Oceanica Societa per Azioni), renamed IRPINIA, it will provide service to Central America.
To this end, it undergoes a first rejuvenation treatment with the inclined bow, modification of the fittings in two classes, first and tourist class, installation of two swimming pools, etc.
Besides his line to Vera Cruz, Havana, and Port Everglade, he made several crossings between Naples / Genoa and Canada.
In 1962, a new and complete metamorphosis in Trieste, its old turbines were replaced by two Fiat Diesel engines which doubled its original power and gave it, with 15,000 hp, a speed of 20 knots. Completely rebuilt, with its modern cruise ship "look", it is now difficult to recognize old CAMPANA.
With fourteen large common rooms, including a winter garden, a magnificent village hall, three restaurants, four bars, a nightclub. etc., it leaves again to transport "cruise passengers" on the Genoa, Cannes, Casablanca circuit. Tenerife, Trinidad, La Guairá, Martinique,
In 1981 IRPINIA was condemned, following an inspection by the Registro Italiano Navale, and on 05 September 1983, she arrived in La Spezia to be demolished by CN Santa Maria.
Source: Various internet sites.
Envelope 1973 with Norway Europa stamp
The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1