RAINBOW (I) yacht 1898

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

RAINBOW (I) yacht 1898

Post by aukepalmhof » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:52 pm

$4.00 RAINBOW - Designed and built in 1898, RAINBOW scored a resounding victory over the best of the Sydney fleet in the 1900 Intercolonial Regatta. Built from durable New Zealand kauri, it remains an active racer on the RNZYS register to this day.
Auckland dentist and successful yacht racer A.T. Pittar changed allegiances from the Bailey yard and ordered from Logan Bros. a fast 36 foot linear rater, intended to be raced in Sydney during the 1900 Intercolonial Regatta.
Launched as RAINBOW on 17 November 1898, many referring her design heritage to the BRITANNIA model after the GL Watson designed cutter for the Prince of Wales, which had been performing spectacularly well since launch in 1892. After some tune up races in Auckland, she was shipped to Sydney on the WAIHORA in mid January 1900 where she was raced by Pittar and his regular Auckland crew, with the addition of Arch Logan, and several local Sydney sailors.
Since the 1950’s she has been owned by the Dimmock family, who bought her from Leo Bouzaid. In 2005 she was bought by a Kiwi five-member syndicate of Brad Butterworth, Hamish Ross and David Glenn who financed a full restoration. She was launched on 16th November 2007 and is one of Arch Logan’s big four: RAINBOW, LORANGI, ARIKI and RAWHITI. In the 2008 Lindauer Classic Yacht Regatta RAINBOW achieved 3rd in the highly competitive large gaff division.
Designer: Arch Logan
Type of Boat: 36ft Linear Rater
Rig: Gaff Cutter
Year Built: 1898
Built By: Logan Brothers Shipyard, NZ
LOA m / ft:
LOD m / ft: 15.5m / 50' 10"
LWL m / ft: 10.54m / 34' 6"
Beam m / ft: 2.71m / 8' 9"
Draft m / ft: 2.1m / 6' 9"
Yard No:
Sail Stats Upwind sail area: 950 sq.m / Downwind sail area:
Construction: Aluminium hull, teak superstructure and carbon spars
Other:
Air draft: 53.66m / Displacement: a.175 tons.
Information courtesy of The Classic Yacht Association of New Zealand.

New Zealand 2021 4.00NZ$ sg?, Scott?
Attachments
RAINBOW I Down-wind.jpg
Image (6).jpg