Join the Ship Stamp Society and get 6 issues of LogBook for just £12!


The Ship Stamp Society website has has a facelift. Click HERE to take a look at our new improved website where you can view past Editions of LogBook and subscribe to get full access to future editions for just £12 per year!

THE SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Ship Stamp Society

Volta River

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Volta River

Postby shipstamps » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 pm


Click image to view full size
Three stamps issued on December 27th 1957 commemorated the establishment of Ghana's first shipping undertaking, styled the Black Star Line, a venture controlled by the State. The vessels shown are symbolic although the steamer pictured on the 5s. stamp bears the name "Black Star" and is named in Gibbons as Volta River. When Ghana decided to found a national undertaking of this order 30 vessels were offered for sale. Mr. W. M. Q. Halm, president of the new undertaking, said in London that the service would be begun with a single cargo vessel but that two other ships would be bought soon after that and a further three added. The company's ships to operate a service between European ports, carrying machinery, cement and other general cargoes to Ghana and produce of the new state in the opposite direction.
At first the ships will be staffed by Israeli masters who will be replaced as soon as possible by men of Ghana to be trained by the Zim Israel Navigation Co. Ltd. Documents establishing the Black Star Line were signed in September 1957 in the offices of the Ghana Ministry of Trade and Development. Drs. H. Wydra and S. Friedman signed on behalf of the Zim Israel Navigation Company and Mr. Kojo Botsio, Minister of Trade and Development, and Mr. B. Y. Asare, Minister of communications, on behalf of the Govemment of Ghana. The initial authorised capital of the company was £500,000, 60 per cent of which to be subscribed by the Government of Ghana and the remainder by the Zim Israel Company. The head office of the line to be at Accra with other premises at Takoradi.
The first ship acquired by the Black Star Line was the cargo vessel Marsdale, built by Lithgows in 1940 for the" K" Steamship Co. Ltd. (Kaye, Son and Co. Ltd.) of London. She is a ship of 4,959 gross tons with dimensions 420ft. 3M. x 56ft. 9in x 24ft. 3M. Now renamed Volta River by her new owners, she sailed from Liverpool for Ghana on November 18th 1957.
SG184 Sea Breezes 2/58
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Volta River

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Built on the yard of Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow for the “K” S.S. Co. Ltd. (Kaye and Co., managers), London.
Launched under the name MARSDALE.
Tonnage 4.890 gross, 2.963 net, dim. 420.3 x 56.9 x 24.3 ft.
Powered by 3 cyl. triple expansion steam engine, manufactured by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co (1938) Ltd., Newcastle, 3.780 ihp., speed 11 knots.
April 1940 completed.

The book Kaye, Son and Co. Ltd has a photo of her with the funnel colors of the Palm Line, that she has been sailing for that company for some time.

1957 Sold to the Black Star Line Ltd., at Accra, Ghana and renamed VOLTA RIVER. She arrived for the first time in Ghana on 17 Sept. 1957 when she berthed at Takoradi. She was the first Black Star vessel.
1965 Sold to Psara Shipping Co. S.A., Greece and renamed PSARA.
24 May 1967 arrived at Spezia to be broken up by Lotti S.p.A., who commenced work 01 June 1967.

Sources Kaye, Son and Co. Ltd., by K. O’Donoghue and P.M. Heaton. Blauwe Wimpel 1962. Navicula.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 6553
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 85 guests

cron