Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.


Cuba issued four stamps in 1992 for tourism, the 20c shows us a “pedalo” of which
Wikipedia gives:
A pedalo (British English) or paddle boat (U.S., Canadian, and Australian English) is a small human-powered watercraft propelled by the action of pedals turning a paddle wheel.
The paddle wheel of a pedalo is a smaller version of that used by a paddle steamer. A two-seat pedalo has two sets of pedals, side by side, designed to be used together. Some models, however, have three pedals on each side to allow a person boating alone to pedal from a centrally seated position.
Pedalos, being particularly suited to calm waters, are often hired out for use on ponds and small lakes in urban parks.
The earliest record of a pedalo is perhaps Leonardo da Vinci's diagram of a craft driven by two pedals.

Also on the right of the stamp is a small sailyacht of which I have not any information.
Cuba 1992 20c sg 3739, scott 3433.


Iceland issued in 1986 four stamps for the “Bicentenary of the City of Reykjavik” of which the 12 Kr stamp shows us an 1856 view from the banks of the Tjörn (Pond) with in the background the bay of Reykjavik. By the stamp is given by the Icelandic Post:
In the background there is the French Imperial yacht La REINE HORTENCE. This illustration is copied after a picture in a book entitled’ Voyage dans le mers du Nord” by Charles Edmond, which was published in 1857 and described the French Prince Napoleon’s voyage around the Northern oceans in 1856.

August 1844 the 3-mast yacht was laid down for King Louis-Philippe under the name COMTE D’EU on the yard of Augustin Normand in Le Havre.
20 December 1846 launched.
Displacement 1,100 ton, dim. 62 x 10.80 x 5.7m.
Powered by a Creusot 4-cyl. steam engine, 320 nhp, speed 12 knots.
Armament 6 – 12cm guns.
Laid down as COMTE D’EU, the ship was renamed to PATRIOTE on 20 February 1848 after the French Revolution of 1848.

In June 1853, she became the imperial yacht REINE HORTENSE.
06 August 1853 in Dieppe.
July 1854 Sailed from Cherbourg for Bayonne, at the disposal of the Empress.
19 August 1854 arrived in Danzig.
In 1855, she served as a troopship to ferry forces bound for the theatre of the Crimean War.
08 February 1855 arrived in Kamiesch with ships in tow.

In June 1865 (wrong given by Wikipedia, must be 1856) she took Prince Napoléon on an expedition to Greenland, with the ARTÉMISE (1847), a 28-gun corvette, La PERDRIX and, the COCYTE and two British coal tender screw steamers, the TASMANIA and the SAXON of 700 tons each. On 30 June at Reykjavík in Iceland, she met again Lord Dufferin who was on his own travels that would feature in his book Letters From High Latitudes, published the next year. Dufferin's journey was taking in Iceland, Jan Mayen and Spitzbergen. He had chartered the schooner FOAM for the task. Dufferin was invited to join Prince Napoleon aboard his royal steamer, and the Prince hearing that the FOAM had broken down offered them a tow north to Jan Mayen as they were going to the same region. On their last night in Reykjavik the prince held a ball to which all the rank, fashion, and beauty of the tiny town (population 700 or 800) were invited.
The FOAM was attached with two cables and the flotilla set off on 7 July, the collier SAXON traveling all too slowly behind. The fragile La REINE HORTENSE was soon to be in increasing danger from the ice and the French were required to abandon their journey 100 miles short of Jan Mayen, and return to Reykjavík. So on 11 July they let loose the FOAM to carry on north by sail. This was fortunate in a sense since on their return they were to discover that the SAXON had been damaged by ice, and would have meant that the convoy would have been short of fuel. This effectively cancelled the expedition.

18-20 May 1857 sailed from Bordeaux to Rochefort with the Emperor Napoleon III and Grand Duke Konstantine Nikolayevich of Russia. Then via other French ports to the Isle of Wight and returned back in Calais on 31 May 1857, where after the Grand Duke leaves the vessel and traveled to Brussel.
07 July 1857 back in The Isle of Wight with Prince Napoleon and his suite, where after she sailed via Lerwick and Bergen to the North Cape.
REINE HORTENSE ferried Prince Napoléon Bonaparte from Marseille to Genoa in early 1859 for his marriage to Princess Maria Clotilde of Savoy, and Napoléon III from Marseille to Genoa on 11 and 12 May 1859.
28 June 1860 in the port of Toulon, 12 April 1862 sails from Toulon with the Duchess of Hamilton ... %80%931888)
In 1862 she was in the Baltic when she gave aid to a British vessel who she towed 80 miles from Bomarsund to Stockholm, on board had been Lord Dufferin, who she was to meet again 3 years later.
21 March1863 arrived in the harbour of Villefrance with the EAGLE.
06 October 1863 arrived on the road of La Rochelle with on board the Emperor.
01 January 1864 returned to the French Navy.
The REINE HORTENSE was recommissioned as the imperial yacht on 20 April 1865 for an official visit of the Emperor to Algeria.
01 October 1865 decommissioned as imperial yacht in Cherbourg.
On 14 February 1867, she was renamed to CASSARD, and commissioned for the Algiers station. She served there until 1881, when she was decommissioned in Toulon before becoming a littoral defence ship
Renamed to FAUNE in 1893, she was used as a hulk in Port-Vendre then munition depot in Toulon. She was eventually broken up in 1920.

Iceland 1986 12 Kr sg 684, scott ?

Exploration of Albany

In 1991, Australia issued a stamp and a miniature sheet, commemorating exploration of Albany, Western Australia by George Vancouver (1791) and Edward Eyre (1841). The coastline of the Albany area was observed for the first time in 1627 by the Dutchman François Thijssen, captain of the ship “ Gulden Zeepaert” (The Golden Seahorse), who sailed to the east as far as Ceduna in South Australia and back. Captain Thijssen had discovered the south coast of Australia and charted about 1,768 kilometres (1,099 mi) of it between Cape Leeuwin and the Nuyts Archipelago. GEORGE VANCOUVER: Departing England with two ships, HMS” Discovery” and HMS “Chatham”, on 1 April 1791, Vancouver commanded an expedition charged with exploring the Pacific region. In its first year the expedition travelled to Cape Town, Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, and Hawaii, collecting botanical samples and surveying coastlines along the way. On 29 September 1791, explorer Captain George Vancouver while exploring the south coast, entered and named “King George the Third's Sound” and” Princess Royal Harbour”, and took possession of New Holland for the British Crown. Vancouver went out of his way to establish good relationships with the local Aboriginal people.On the stamp In the background is the “Discovery”. JOHN EYRE: In 1841, Albany was the final destination of the explorer Edward John Eyre, the first European to reach Western Australia by land from the eastern colonies. Eyre, together with his Aboriginal companion Wylie , was the first European to traverse the coastline of the Great Australian Bight and the Nullarbor Plain by land in 1840–1841, on an almost 2000 mile trip to Albany, Western Australia . He had originally led the expedition with John Baxterand three aborigines. On 29 April 1841, two of the aborigines killed Baxter and left with most of the supplies. Eyre and Wylie were only able to survive because they chanced to encounter, at a bay near Esperance, Western Australia , a French whaling ship Mississippi , under the command of an Englishman, Captain Thomas Rossiter, for whom Eyre named the location Rossiter Bay .
Аustralia 1991;1.05;SG1303. Source: ... s-mnh.html. ... _Australia.

STERN TRAWLER (stylized)

Iceland issued two stamps for the “Export, Trading and Commerce” of which the 35Kr shows us a stylized stern trawler viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11826

By the stamps is given by the Icelandic Post:
The Post and Telecommunications Administration will be issuing two new stamps which depict a few tokens of the branches of industry involved in exporting products from Iceland.

Icelanders are heavily dependent upon foreign trade. The geographical position of lceland and natural conditions lead to our having to transact extensive trade with other countries. Vigorous export activities are the basis for Iceland being an affluent society in the Westem manner. lt will hardly be disputed that the export value is the basis for the standard of living in Iceland being among the best in the world. High prices of sea products on the world market and strong marketing advances by Icelandic concerns have contributed to the fact that the Icelandic people have succeeded in building up a modern society.

Iceland Chamber of Commerce was established in 1917 with 170 founders from all around the country. Now the members are around 390 and consist of representatives of various spheres of the Icelandic economy, Ieading in the various progressive matters of Icelandic firms. The Export Council of lceland was established in 1986 in order to support Icelandic concerns in foreign marketing activities- The Council represents a field of work for most Icelandic Companies which in some way have to do with currency creative assignments. The Export Council s revenues are a part of the expenditure tax base of concerns in the processing of fish, industry, construction work, fisheries and carriage by sea and land. The Board of Directors of the Export Council consist of nine representatives of various spheres of the Icelandic economy as well as representatives of the public sector. In 1991 the total foreign currency receipts of the Icelandic people came to about ISK 130 billion. Sea products weigh most heavily. In 1991 these returned earnings amounting to over ISK 73 billion. Industry ranks next with a yield of about ISK 16 billion. income on account of communications came to almost ISK 13 billion and the tourist industry yielded over ISK 7 billion- Income from agriculture, including fish farming produce, has decreased considerably and agricultural export amounts to ISK 1.5 billion only. The countries of the European Community are Iceland s most important customers Britain is at the top of the list and Germany, France and Denmark are also prominent. Altogether almost 70% of Iceland’s total export go to EU countries. The United States of America and Japan are also important markets for Icelandic produce and about 12% of exports go to the former, but 7% to the latter.
The role of the Export Council is that of granting to export concerns information and marketing advice which aim at increasing the export value of goods and services from Iceland. Also to increase knowledge of the market and competitiveness of Icelandic concerns, thereby building a foundation for better livelihood in the country as well as creating a positive general image of the country, its people and products.
On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Icelandic Freezing Plants Corporation (SH) the other of the new stamps will depict its trade mark amongst few tokens. The establishment meeting of the Corporation was held on February 25th 1942. The purpose of the Corporation’s foundation was that of selling fish products in foreign markets, undertaking the purchase of operational goods, searching for new markets and experimenting with new products and methods of production.
Twenty three quick freezing plants around the-country are the founders of the Icelandic Freezing Plants Corporation, but now the producers are around 70. The corporation has throughout its activities been in the lead of Icelandic export concerns. In 1947 |he Corporation (SH) founded the concern of Coldwater Seafood Corporation in order to handle the sales of fish products in the United States market. ln 1956 a marketing office of the Icelandic Freezing Plants Corporation was opened
In England and in 1983 a subsidiary company ' Icelandic Freezing Plants, Limited was established
In England. Sales offices of the Icelandic Freezing Plants Corporation are also operated in Germany,
France and Japan, but dealings with the European Continent and Asia have increased rapidly during recent years.

The trade mark ICELANDIC originated in the United States, but it has become an image of quality products in the minds of fish buyers around the world. Behind this trade mark is a long story of development in a tough market where constant watchfulness in the field of quality and sales affairs has to be demonstrated.

Source: Icelandic Post.
Iceland 1992 30/35kr. sg788/789 scott 752/753

Aleksei Chirikov

Aleksei Ilyich Chirikov (Russian: Алексе́й Ильи́ч Чи́риков) (1703 – November 1748) was a Russian navigator and captain who along with Bering was the first Russian to reach North-West coast of North America. He discovered and charted some of the Aleutian Islands while he was deputy to Vitus Bering during the Great Northern Expedition. In 1721, Chirikov graduated from the Naval Academy. In 1725–1730 and 1733–1743, he was Vitus Bering's deputy during the First and the Second Kamchatka expeditions. In May 1741 Chirikov in the St Paul and Vitus Bering in the St Peter left Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskyand headed east. Some time after 20 June they were separated by a storm and never saw each other again. On 15 July 1741 Chirikov saw land at Baker Island off Prince of Wales Island at the south end of the Alaska Panhandle. This is about 450 miles southeast of Bering's landfall near Mount St. Elias at the north end of the panhandle. Unable to find a harbor he sailed north along Baranov Island past the later Russian base at Sitka. He sent out a longboat to find an anchorage. When it did not return after a week he sent out his second longboat which also failed to return. Now without any small boats Chirikov had no way of searching for the two longboats or landing on the coast to explore or replenish his supply of fresh water. After waiting as long as possible, he abandoned the longboats to their fate and on 27 July sailed west. He sighted the Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak Island and Adak Island near the western end of the Aleutians. With water critically low he reached Petropavlovsk on 12 October 1741. In 1742, Chirikov was in charge of a search party for Bering's ship St. Peter. During this trip, he located Attu Island. Chirikov took part in creating the final map of the Russian discoveries in the Pacific Ocean (1746). Chirikov's name is given to Capes of the Kyūshū Island, Attu Island, Anadyr Bay, Tauyskaya Bay, an underwater mountain in the Pacific Ocean, Chirikof Island and Cape Chirikof at the westernmost point of Baker Island.
Rossija 1999;Postal envelope. Rossija1991; 30к,30к;SG 6274,6275. Source:


The traditional Corpus Christi procession has been taking place on Lake Hallstatt for at least 389 years. This popular national holiday, steeped in local, historic tradition, will be celebrated by the lake.
Corpus Christi is a time when the people of Hallstatt decorate their traditional boats with flowers and foliage, and the village is prepared for a special celebration. The festivities date back to the Jesuits who formed colorful processions through the village. Due to the fact that there was limited open space in the old salt-mining village, the walking procession was replaced by boats and salt-carrying small ships on the lake. This afforded the local people some lovely views towards the "salt mountain" which had been their source of income for thousands of years.

The main procession, escorted by a choir and orchestra, assembles for worship at 9.00am in the parish and pilgrimage church "Our Lady of the Mountain" in Hallstatt. The lead celebrant is Otto Krepper, military deacon from Voralberg.

At around 10.00, the procession starts out towards the market square where the first "station" is made. The procession then continues down to the lake and along the lake shore from where the thousands of assembled Christians and visitors to Hallstatt will have stunning views of the bright and colorful collection of boats, and of the Holiest Sacrament. A second "station" is made by the War Memorial, and a third "station" of thanks-giving for young people will then be made by the bus terminal and the HTBLA.

The procession now continues on to the lake from where the "Plassen" - the mountain which guards over the people of Hallstatt - and also the "Salt Mountain" come into view. During the fourth "station" of thanks-giving, God is thanked for the "Mountain of Fortune" and the fruits of the earth.

Afterwards, the procession returns to dry land, and the procession continues back to the market square, accompanied by a local brass band. Here the final "blessing" is made and a The Deum is sung. The first ever procession was formed in 1623, and since 1628 has been a gift from the salt mines of Hallstatt.

Very significant members of the Hallstatt Corpus Christi Procession are the "Hallstatt Corpus Christi Gun Firers" who announce the most important parts of the proceedings by firing "Prangerstutzen" traditional guns. 3 shots are fired by the church and then by each "station" along the way, informing us of the significance of the events which follow. The day has a very early start for these men. They begin firing their guns at 6.00 am at the far end of Hallstatt. They move out on to the lake in boats, and every fifteen minutes continue their journey across the lake towards the church. At 9.00 they arrive on foot at the church and join the main procession. ... ssion.html
Austria 1993 5s sg2349, scott 1619.


The full index of our ship stamp archive


Postby shipstamps » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
cigarette card
Click image to view full size
Built as a wooden sealer under yard No 36 by Stephens & Son, Dundee, Scotland for Job Bro’s, Liverpool.
Launched under the name NIMROD.
Tonnage 334 gross, dim. 136 x 26.9 x 16ft. (41.5 x 8.2 x 4.9m.)
Schooner rigged.
1866 Completed.

Job Bro’s was active in Newfoundland and between 1866 and 1872, the firm built three large sealing vessels “wooden walls”, NEPTUNE, NIMROD and HECTOR, providing 100.000 seal pelts annually for its south side oil manufacturing premises. Over the years the firm owned approximately 265 vessels.
In this period Job Brothers and Company also established plants for converting fish offal into fertilizer at Bay Bulls, Catalina and L’anse au Loup.
During the twentieth century, Job Brothers & Co. Ltd was a pioneer in artificial fish drying at its Blanc Sablon, L’Anse au Loup and Forteau premises, and was also among the first to experiment with methods of freezing fish. In one of the firm’s most innovative and successful undertakings, the BLUE PETER, a 5000 ton steamship was equipped with a brine freezing system as well as a canning plant for the production of salmon. The firm also diversified into timber, mining, manufacturing and processing in the first half of the twentieth century.

The NIMROD was used as a sealer in Newfoundland waters by Job Bro’s till she was sold to Shackleton for £5.000 in May 1907.
1889 She got a new engine of the compound type of 60nhp., and new boilers fitted in.
Shackleton intended to rename her in ENDURANCE, but she kept her old name NIMROD.
She was rerigged as a barkentine, and fitted out for Shackleton British Imperial Antarctic Expedition at the yard of Luckely’s Green’s at Blackwall. The fitting out cost was £7.000.

30 July 1907 the NIMROD left East India Dock at London under command of Capt. Rubert England and sailed to Cowes, where King Edward inspected the vessel on 04 August.
When the NIMROD sailed the original owner was William Beardmore one of the sponsors of the expedition.
05 August she sailed from Cowes bound for Torquay, from Torquay she sailed on 7 August, Shackleton stayed behind to resolve the money problems the expedition had. He would follow later by mailboat. (RMS INDIA of the P&O line embarking at Marseilles.
In the meantime the NIMROD sailed to Lyttelton in New Zealand where Shackleton boarded her .
01 January 1908 she left from Lyttelton overloaded and towed by the KOONYA of the Union Steamship Company, the reason that she was towed the NIMRTOD could not carry sufficient coal for the voyage to Antarctic and return.
The voyage was hampered by storms and very high seas; she shipped heavy seas smashing the bulwarks with rolls of sometimes 50 degree both ways.
10 January the weather eased, and when nearing the pack ice the KOONYA let go, and the NIMROD was on her own.
03 February the expedition landed on Ross Island near Cape Royds, later that day the weather worsened and the NIMROD stood off in the Mc Murdo Sound, till the next evening before she could near the landing place again, discharging commenced again, but the NIMROD had to move away a few times before the stores an equipment were discharged on 22 February, and she could steam out to sea, back to New Zealand, leaving behind the men of the expedition.
26 March 1909 she returned at Lyttelton, Capt England was relieved from his command, the cooperation between him and Shackleton was not so good.
07 November 1908 command was taken over by Capt. F.P.Evans, (he commanded the KOONYA when she towed the NIMROD to the Antarctic) and she sailed out to the Antarctic waters to pick up Shackleton’s expedition members.
28 February 1909 Shackleton boarded the NIMROD, and after sending a rescue party to pick up Eric Marshall and Jameson Adams, all members of the expedition were save on board the NIMROD on 04 March 1909, and the NIMROD headed for New Zealand.
29 March 1909 Captain Evans signed off at Lyttelton; command was taken over by the Chief Officer John King Davis.

Under his command the NIMROD sailed from Lyttelton on 10 April and via Macquarie Island and Cape Horn, making a call at Montevideo before heading to England, arrived Falmouth 26 August 1909, from where she sailed via Torquay and Eastbourne to London.

After her return she was used by Shackleton as a floating museum of his voyage, around 40,000 people visited the ship at 1 shilling a person.
Friday 2 December 1910 at 2.30 she was offered for sale at a public auction at the Baltic Exchange Sale Room in London. She will be sold as she lies afloat at Birkenhead.

Then her history became obscure, she is not more mentioned in Lloyds Register.
Most probably was she then bought by a Captain Webster, anyhow he was the owner when she made a voyage to Siberia in 1911, and reached the Yenisei estuary.
The Times of 24 December 1912 gives then, The NIMROD the expedition ship of Shackleton arrived at Appledore on Saturday from Vardo. (North Norway). She was transferred to the Russian flag in June last, and is to be laid up at Appledore until the spring. (Can not find anything on this voyage, more info is welcome.)
During World War I she became an inspection ship by the British Admiralty. (but is not mentioned in Ships of the Royal Navy.)

Then she disappears from sight till 30 January 1919 when the Times gives:

The steamer NIMROD, formerly of the Shackleton Antarctic Expedition, foundered near Yarmouth, UK east-coast at midnight on Wednesday, and the only survivors of her crew of 12 are James Truelson (mate) and Russell Gregory (boatswain), which after clinging to the keel of a capsized lifeboat were washed up on Thursday morning between Caister and Yarmouth.
The NIMROD sailed from Blyth under command of Captain Doran with a cargo of coal to Calais when she struck the on the Barber Shoals. Water soon filled her engine room and the vessel began to break up. The Chief engineer could not be found. Eleven men, who could only find shelter under the broken bridge, were continually in danger of being killed by wreckage which was washed about by the seas. The NIMROD took a heavy list, her starboard lifeboat was swept away and the men got into the port lifeboat on the bridge-deck, but a huge wave struck the boat, which turned over, all the men being thrown beneath. Three struggled clear of the wreckage and clung to the upturned keel of the lifeboat, but one of then soon let go and sank. Truelson and Gregory hung on, and half an hour later this lifeboat got clear of the wreck. It was bitterly cold and the seas constantly swept over the two men, but by getting their feet into lifelines, they were able to hang on. As they passed the Cockle Lightship they shouted for help, but the noise of the wind and the sea drowned their cries. They saw tugs searching, but could not make themselves heard. When they had almost given up hope, the tide turned and after five hours their boat was thrown broadside on to the beach. They soon received help, and ware taken to Yarmouth Sailors Home where they are now recovering.
Yesterday afternoon five bodies of seamen were washed up between Gorleston and Hopton south of Yarmouth, and an other was seen in the seas. All were wearing lifebelts. One more body came ashore north of Caister and another at California, a neighbouring village. They are all believed to be the bodies of men of the NIMROD.

The New Zealand Post gives by these issues of 2008 the following:


New Zealand on 1 January 1908, the expedition’s ship, the NIMROD was cheered on by crowd of thousands.
The 40-year-Norwegian-built converted sealer was packed to capacity with 255 tons of coal. To save the limited supply of coal, she was towed south by KOONYA, a steel-built steamer, until the first icebergs were sighted. It was an arduous journey, frustrated by pack ice and the NIMROD taken on water. Finally on 3 February 1908, the month of Shackleton’s 34th birthday, the NIMROD arrived at Cape Royds, Antarctica, where the expedition party built their base.
The NIMROD returned to Lyttelton, returning to collect the expedition party on 3 March 1909.

Australia Anatarctic Terr. 1979 15c sg 42.
Ross Dependency 2008 50c sg?

Source: Info received from John Stevenson. Shackleton by Roland Huntford. The newspaper The Times.
Some web-sites.
Site Admin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm


Postby aukepalmhof » Sat May 30, 2009 2:53 am

Click image to view full size
The stamps issued by AAT in 2009 for the Centenary of the Expedition to the South Magnetic Pole gives on 1 stamp the expedition ship NIMROD

Unloading the NIMROD.

On 3 February 1908 the NIMROD was moored on bay ice at Cape Royds, where the British Antarctic Expedition established its winter quarters. The motor car was the first item to be unloaded (as seen on stamp) from the ship, followed by the Manchurian ponies, which were used in Shackleton's attempt to loacate the geographical South Pole.
Posts: 5729
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Postby Arturo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Click image to view full size

Australian Antarctic Teeritory 2001, S.G.?, Scott: L117c.
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 104 guests