King Alexander

The full index of our ship stamp archive
shipstamps

King Alexander

Post by shipstamps » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:45 am

A vessel of pre-war build is the Kralj Aleksandar I shown on a stamp issued by Yugoslavia in 1939 on the occasion of King Alexander's birthday, a surcharge on the stamps going to the "Adriatic Guard Fund ". The Kralj Aleksandar I (King Alexander I) was built by Lithgows Ltd., at the Kingston Shipbuilding Yard, Port Glasgow, and launched on November 26, 1931. After running successful trials she was delivered to her owners, the Dubrovacka Parobrodska Plovidba, a.d., (Ragusa Steam Nay. Co. Ltd.,) of Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia on March 10, 1932. She was built to run in the Adriatic and cruise in the Mediterranean. A small twin-screw passenger vessel, her dimensions were : Length 270 ft. 5in., breadth 42 ft. lin. load draft 13 ft. 7V2 in. depth 23 ft. 8 in. Her gross tonnage was 2,463 with a load dis¬placement of 2,390 tons. David Rowan and Co. Ltd., of Glasgow supplied her quadruple-expansion engines of 4,800 i.h.p. which gave the vessel an average speed of 18 knots. The ' Adriatic Guard Fund' (organised by the Jadranska Straza Association) was inaugurated to collect money for the establishment of a maritime museum, as well as to defray the costs of keeping a " Watch on the Adriatic".
SG407
Sea Breezes 10/60