SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.

The editor of Log book will retire this coming August and, unless a new one comes forward, the society will close.
With this in mind, we are not taking in any new members.
This is an unfortunate situation but seemingly unavoidable.

CATHARINA 1862

Her name is given by Navicula as CATHARINA. The stamp is designed after a painting made by L. Petersen and P. Holm.

1862 Built by Dietrich Kremer in Blankenese for the brothers Captain Johannes and Johann Joachim Backhaus.
Launched as CATHARINA. (Not as given KATHARINA VON BLANKENESE)
Tonnage 128 gross, dim?
Rigged as a brigantine.
Homeport Blankenese, Germany.

24 April 1880 with a general cargo she stranded on the bar of Opolo, West Africa, and was wrecked.

The ships painting was made by Peter Christian Holm (1823-1888) who worked in Altona and Hamburg.
The CATHARINA was painted in 1864 when she entered CUXHAVEN on the Elbe River.
She is shown with the Schleswig Holstein flag.

The painting is now in the Altonaer Museum Hamburg.

Source: Navicula.
Paraguay 1977 2g sg?, scott 1764b

BACCHUS RFA (G.B.)

Built in 1914-'15 by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow, #229, for the Indo-China Steam Navigation Co., Hong Kong and purchased by the Admiralty while on the stocks on 22 March 1915, launched 10 May 1915.
Stores freighter and distilling ship of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, displacement:3598 long tons (3656 t) Lbp:89.94m. (295'1") Beam:13.44m. (44'1") Draft:6.30m. (20'8") 2x3 cyl. triple expansion steam engines:? hp. 10 kn. complement:52, callsign:GQKB
On 4 May 1928, BACCHUS was in collision with the Greek cargo ship IOANNIS FALAFOS in the English Channel, 20 nm. south of St. Alban's Head, Dorset. IOANNIS FALAFOS sank in three minutes with the loss of ten of her 22 crew. The survivors were initially rescued by BACCHUS but she was severely damaged at the bows and was abandoned as it was thought that she would sink too. The British cargo ship MANCHESTER COMMERCE took all on board. BACCHUS was later reboarded once it became apparent that she would remain afloat. She was towed into Portland Harbour stern-first by an Admiralty tug. BACCHUS was subsequently repaired and returned to service.
She was renamed BACCHUS II in May 1936 in order to free the name for a new ship. She was sunk as target on 15 November 1938, 10 nm. off Alderney, the Channel Islands, by gunfire from the cruiser HMS DUNEDIN.

(Liberia 2012, $3, StG.?)
Internet.

HEINRICH VON STEPHAN

Germany issued in 1997 one stamp for the 100th Anniversary of the dead of Postmaster Heinrich von Stephan (1831-1897).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_von_Stephan

He introduced the postcard in Germany of which one is depicted on the stamp, it shows us a passenger-cargo vessel, which has not be identified so far I know. It is a very small image and the only thing it looks that her two funnels are yellow which belong to the Hamburg Amerka Line. She has a straight bow so it must be a vessel from around 1900.

German 1997 100 pf sg 2764, scott?

CHRISTIANA, JOMFRUEN and ATLANTIC SUN

Norway issued in 2008 a series of stamp for tourism in the country, two have a maritime theme.

So far I know the small vessels on this stamp of Oslo Harbour with in the background the City Hall have not been identified, in the last Watercraft Philately of Nov/Dec 2018 in an article by Dan Rodlie he gives the names and details of the three vessels on this stamp as, from the left to the right as CHRISTIANIA, JOMFRUEN and the ATLANTIC SUN.

The Oslo City Hall is the political and administrative heart of the city. It has an important place in the history of Norwegian art and architecture and is visited by more than 100,000 guests and tourists every year. Its two towers, best seen from the sea, stand 66 and 63 metres high. The bells on the top of the east tower provide pleasure for many people, as they play tunes every hour on the hour from 7 am to 12 pm each day.

On the stamp of Lyngor Lighthouse, the sail yacht is not identified, maybe one of the readers has a name for the yacht?
In the days of sailing ships, Lyngor was one of the most important harbours on the Skagerrak coast. It is now a popular place for holidays. Narrow, cemented paths, flanked by white picket fences, wind their way over these vehicle-free islands. Boats are the only means of transport in this South Norwegian Venice.
When Lyngor Lighthouse was finished in 1879, householders in Lyngor celebrated the event by putting lights in their windows. It had been touch and go whether the lighthouse would be built. The authorities had not recommended it, but men from the region with money and good contacts in the Storting took action and produced results. Today we call that lobbying!

CHRISTIANIA:
Built as wooden 3 mast fore-and aft schooner (borgåskute) by Paul Grünquist & Co shipyard in Valax, Finland
Launched as HELGA
Tonnage 143 gross, 85 net, 230 dwt, dim. ? x 24.5 x 9.10ft
Auxiliary oil engine hp?
1948 Delivered to owners.

Lloyds Registry 1955/56 gives for the HELGA as owner Gustaf Holmberg, at Borgå, Finland. Most probably he was also the owner when built.
1994 Sold to Norway Yacht Charter A/A, Oslo and renamed CHRISTIANIA (the former name of Oslo) and restored in her original condition.
Tonnage 123 gross, 38 net, dim. 45.70 x 7.45 x 2.61m, (draught), length of hull 33.20m
Sail area 550 square meters. 10 sails.
Auxiliary engine Caterpillar 6-cyl. diesel, 365 hp.
Crew 5-9, day passengers 150.
Used as a passenger sailing ship in the charter business around Oslo Fjord. When not in use moored in front of the Oslo City Hall.
2019 In service.

JOMFRUEN:
Built as a motor cutter BRILLIANT in Hardanger on the west coast of Norway in 1917.
For many years she carried mackerel from ports around Bergen and Stavanger to the fishmarket in Oslo.
On her return voyages from Oslo she hauled cement from Slemmestad outside Oslo to the west coast of Norway. She continued trading mainly along the western Norwegian coastline until 1984.
From 1984 in spring of 1988 she was converted into a passenger sailing vessel and used as a party-ship and for social activities based in Oslo.
Tonnage 49 Gt, 19net, dim. 1970 x 5.30 x 2.60m. (draught)
Accommodation for 65 passengers.
Her name was at one time changed to BLÅVEIS until she was renamed JOMFRUEN in 2000.
2019 Owned by Norway Yacht Charter A/s, Oslo and in active service.

ATLANTIC SUN:
1994 Built as a passenger vessel by the Porsgrunn Maskineringssenter in Porsgrunn, Norway for the Atlantic Boat Ltd. AS, Oslo.
Tonnage 118 grt, 48 net, dim. 24.10 x 6.16 x 1.60m.
Powered by two General Motors engines.
Delivered under the name ATLANTIC SUN.

She has been used in the tourist traffic on the Oslo Fjord.
2019 In service, sane name and owner, IMO No 9068108.

Source: http://www.philatelism.com/details.php?issueid=2295
Otmar Schäuffelen, Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe; Various Norwe-gian Illustrated Shipping registry; http://www.tallship-fan.de/index_e.htm; D. Rodlie. Lloyds Register 1955/56

Norway 2008 7Kr. sg?, scott 1542

CARAVEL UNDER CONSTRUCTION COLUMBUS 1492

Of the many stamps and miniature sheets used for the 500th anniversary that Columbus discovered America, most of this stamps and miniature sheet have almost all the same design, only the miniature sheet issued by the Bahamas in 1990 is quite different.

The image is a woodcut from the book “Liber Chronicarum” of the chronicler Hartmann Schedel (1414-1514).

The book describe the Latin world history from the creation till the year 1493.
The book of 650 pages was printed in 1493 by Anton Koberger in Nürenberg. A German translation made by S. Alt is published in the same year.

The 645 (in a other edition over the 1000) woodcuts were made by Michel Wohlgemut (1437-1519) and Wilhelm Pleydenwurff (1462-1494).
On the miniature sheet of the Bahamas is depict the building of Noah’s Ark, the part with the Latin text is omitted.

If we pay attention to the following.
Columbus discovered Cuba on 28 October 1492, he returned to Spain were her arrived on 15 March 1493. At that time the chronicle of Hartmann Schedels was already by the printer, so this woodcut can’t represent the vessel of Columbus.
So this image can’t document the journey of Columbus.
The Post of the Bahamas is free to illustrate the life of Columbus with the Ark of Noah, if the image of the Ark is a caravel.

The artist who made this woodcut went into the wrong when he took a caravel as an example for the construction of Noah's Ark, and did not portray the Ark as a square box as most artists from that time portray the Ark.

This woodcut was made in the time of Columbus, while the miniature sheet has the imprint of a “Caravel under construction”. That the picture of the construction of a caravel fits in with the time of Columbus, and is therefore not from the time of the Arch of Noah.

So anyhow a good design of the Bahamas Post.

Source: Translated from Navicula.
Bahamas 1990 $1.50 sgMS 874, scott 692

DORIS

Guyana issued in 2018 two miniature sheets for “Fishing in Guyana”, the fishing boat depict in the border of the MS shows us fishing boats pulled on the beach. The fish most probably you can find in the Guyana waters but the depicted fishing boats have never seen this waters.
She are taken from a painting made by the Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh in 1888 and show “Fishing boats on the beach at Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer in South France, the original you can find in the van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

The fishing boats depict are “doris” of which Aak to Zumbra gives: The French doris was originally carried on board “morutiers and “terreneuviers” and she is till today used for fishing inshore, gathering seaweed, and collecting sand. Locally modified to meet special conditions and type of use.
Some half-decked; others a raised cabin forward. Double tholepins used when rowing. Various rigs employed; ketch, cutter, sloop, spirit, lug, lateen. Now most used an outboard motor or inboard motor, and may be constructed of aluminium and she have a pilot house.

(the depicted boats are made of wood.)
Reported length 3.2 – 7m.; e.g. length 7m, beam 2.2m, depth 1.0m.

Turkey 1990 700li sg3090, scott 2482.
Guyana 2018 $16 and $8.50 sgMS?, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

ULSTER MONARCH

The full index of our ship stamp archive

ULSTER MONARCH

Postby shipstamps » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:38 pm

2687.jpg
2687.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Click image to view full size
Ulster.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a ferry under yard No. 635 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast for the Belfast Steamship Co. Belfast.
24 January 1929 launched under the name ULSTER MONARCH, two sisters ULSTER PRINCE and ULSTER QUEEN.
Tonnage 3.735 grt, 1.781 net, 828 dwt. Dim. 358.9 x 46 x 14.10ft. (draught).
Powered by two 10-cyl. B&W diesel engines manufactured by shipsbuilder, 7.500 bhp., twin screws, speed 18 knots.
Accommodation for 418 first class, 86 third class passengers, later altered in 391 first class and 58 third class.
Loading capacity of ca. 700 tons.
11 June 1929 delivered to owners.

After delivery used in the night service from Belfast to Liverpool, in the Ulster Imperial Line.
Mostly the vessels in this service sailed from Liverpool at 22.15 with arrival time Belfast the next morning at 07.30. The same day in the evening at 21.00 she sailed from Belfast and arrived the next morning at 07.30 at Liverpool. During the stay in port during daytime, the cargo was discharged and loaded.

Till the outbreak of World War II she was used in this service till 07 September 1939, after arrival in Liverpool she got orders to proceed to Southampton.
11 September 1939 she made her first troop transport across the English Channel to France.
21 September 1939 she was transferred to the Bristol Channel and from there she left with troops on 24 September for Quiberon Bay, she made two voyages more to this destination from the Bristol Channel.

She was then released from trooping duties on 13 October and headed for Liverpool.
Two months later she was required again for trooping duties and made regular sailings from Southampton to Le Havre and Cherbourg.
08 January 1940 she went aground at Dunnose in the Isle of Wight.

24 April 1940 she received orders to proceed direct from Cherbourg to Scottish waters, was delayed for some time off Dover, at least headed north up the coast of East England.
26 April 1940 at Leith she embarked troops for Scapa Flow, but before she sailed the situation in Norway was deteriorating and her troops were disembarked and she had to join a convoy to Andaisness, Norway after arrival there the town was burning after a air raid of a German air-attack. After she moored she received orders to leave full speed out of the fjord, which she did.
Off the land she was attacked by an aircraft, dropping four bombs near the starboard side and four more on the port side, but she escaped with only deck doors blown off there hinges.
She sailed to Scapa Flow where she loaded 100 tons of ceased aviation fuel and naval and military personnel, with as deck cargo more as 50 barrels fuel oil for her one use.
10 May she sailed from Scapa Flown bound for Harstad in Norway, under constant air attacks she discharged her men and cargo there, and loaded some fish, which during bombing was killed in the water near her, embarked troops and sailed for the Clyde on 16 May.
31 May, she made an other voyage to Narvik, Norway to load there material and troops, when the Allied troops were withdrawn from that port.

14 June 1940 she left with Polish and French troops on board from the River Clyde, arrived Brest 16 June, on arrival there the French troops embarked but the 400 Polish troops seeing that the end of the war in French was nearing, decided to stay on board, the empty space was filled with British troops before she sailed on 17 June from Brest, she was the last troopship that left from this port, she was bound for Falmouth.
02 July, her next voyage was with French servicemen from Liverpool to repatriate these men to Morocco.
Then she made a roundtrip from Gibraltar to Madeira, starting 21 July before she headed to Glasgow where she arrived 3 August.
Then she made two voyages northwards first with troops to the Faroe Islands, and in September with 700 troops on board to Iceland.
24 September she sailed for the U.K. again.

05 October 1940 renamed in HMS ULSTER MONARCH, fitted out at Glasgow.
Armament 1 – 12pdr. and 4 – 20mm guns.
17 January 1941 arrived at the Inveraray Combined Operations Base.
March assigned to Operation Puma, the planning landings at Las Palmas, in the event that Gibraltar was falling in enemy hands.
From 22 till 28 July she made a roundtrip to Iceland, following by exercises at Scapa as training for the Puma Operations, at that time the name was changed to Pilgrim Operations.

16 September she sailed from the Clyde bound for Freetown where she arrived on 05 October, later moved to Takoradi and Lagos.
She made two voyages north to Gibraltar, first on 18 November, the second on 10 February 1942, when she sailed from Gibraltar with on board 655 troops bound for Bathurst.
Then she embarked servicemen from Freetown to Lagos where she arrived 10 March.
After she returned in Freetown she took on board troops and via the Azores sailed to the Clyde where she arrived 11 April 1942.

Between 19 April and the end of June she got a refit in Liverpool as a Infantry Landing Ship, and on 31 July arrived in the Solent to receive six landingscraft, thereafter she was a unit of Operation Torch.
26 October 1942 with on board US Rangers she sailed from the Clyde.
07 November arrived Arzeu Bay and at 23.41 troops were embarked, before she headed to Arzue harbour the next morning where her stores were unloaded.
17.15 The same day moved again to the anchorage.
21 November 1942 arrived again in the Clyde without her landing craft but with on board 120 survivors from HM cutters HARTLAND and WALNEY which both were lost during Operation Torch.

Then she was used during Operation Husky, the landing in Sicily.
13 March 1943 sailed from the U.K. and via Gibraltar, Freetown and the Cape of Good Hope sailed to Suez to join Force G on 14 March.
Took part in the Combined Operations exercises in the Gulf of Aquaba, where after she embarked troops, transited the Suez Canal on the first of July.
Became a unit of the assault convoy which sailed from Port Said on 05 July bound for Sicily.
Her troops were landed on 10 July at Acid North Beach-head near Syracuse.
Two days later she landed a SAS unit south of Augusta.

Then she took part in Operation Avalanche.
She was attacked on 19 Augustus at 00.12 off Cape Bon, Tunisia in a bright and moonlight night, the plane came from astern and dropt a bomb on her after 12 pdr. gun, the explosion pierced two decks down, killing three crewmembers, and set the ULSTER MONARCH on fire. The fire was brought under control within 40 minutes and she proceeded to Tripoli where she underwent some repair.
06 September sailed from Tripoli as part of the Northern Attack Force R for the landing at Salerno and the mainland of Italy.
Her troops and equipment were discharged on 09 September, and on 11 September she brought some reinforcements from Bizerte to Taranto.
05 October she disembarked personnel and landingscrafts at the Combined Operations base at Djedjelli before she headed to the Clyde for a refit.

She took part in Operation Neptune, the landings in Normandy.
16 February 1944 sailed from the Clyde bound for the English South Coast in preparation for the Normandy landings...
05 June 1944 sailed from the Solent in Assault Convoy J9 and put her troops ashore on Juno Beach early the next morning. She headed then to Plymouth to embark reinforcements for France, the rest of the year was used in these Channel crossings with reinforcements.
01 January 1945 arrived in the Thames Estuary and on 03 January sailed from Tilbury to Ostend, Belgium in the Forces Duty Service between these two ports.

19 May 1945 her landingscrafts and launching equipment were removed.
April 1945 she got engine problems and was out of service till 19 June, before she resumed her trooping duties from Tilbury, Dover and Harwich.
07 September 1945 sailed from Tilbury and arrived 09 September at Belfast.
01 October 1945 paid off.
After repairs which took a long time she arrived at Liverpool on 13 August 1946 to resume her service between Belfast and Liverpool.

October 1946 sold for scrap.
08 December 1966 arrived by the breakers yard of van Heyghen in Ghent, Belgium for scrapping.

Maldives 1997 3r sg 2687, scott 2226e.

Source: Merchant Ships of the world in color 1910-1929 by Lawrence Dunn. Register of Merchant Ships completed in 1929. Short Sea Long War by John de S. Winser.
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 90 guests