The full index of our ship stamp archive
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Built as convoy escort sloop by the yard of Swan Hunter & Wigham, Richardson, Wallsend, near Newcastle, Scotland for the Royal Navy.
26 December 1916 keel laid down.
June 1917 launched under the name ANDROMEDA one of the Anchusa Class. She was named after the Greek hero Andromeda.
Displacement 1.121 tons, dim. 83.50 x 10.50 x 5.00m. (draught).
Powered by a 4-cyl. triple expansion steam engine, 2.675 hp., speed 17 knots.
Range by a speed of 10 knots, 2.400 miles.
Armament 3 –100.6mm., 1 dept-charge thrower.
Crew 6 officers and 97 men.
Before completed handed over to the French Navy and renamed VILLE D’ YS named after the city Ys in the Bay of Douarnenez, and which was swallowed by the seas.
15 August 1917 commissioned.
After commissioned used as Fishery Protection vessel for the French fishing fleet on the Grand Banks off New Foundland every year from April till September.
At that time she was fitted out with 5 small boats for visiting the French vessels on the banks.
When World War II broke out she was stationed in St Pierre, St Pierre et Miquelon.
But before the island was taken over by the Free France Forces she left and sailed to Fort de France, Martinique.
12 November 1940 arrived there and was decommissioned.
25 May 1945 Scrapped.
On St Pierre et Miquelon 1941 2.50F + 1F sg ?
Source: Navicula and some web-sites.