Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Baltic Beauty 1926

Baltic Beauty is a two-masted small brigantine sailing ship. The steel hulled boat has wooden superstructure and has a sail area of around 452 square metres. Facilities on the ship include a large kitchen, bar, two toilets with shower and a sauna. The ship can accommodate 20 passengers on multi-day trips, and 58 passengers on day trips. she is now based in home port of Ronneby, Sweden.

Baltic Beauty was built in 1926 in the Netherlands. The ship has undergone a few name changes and was formerly known as was formerly Hans Ii, Sven Wilhelm and then Dominique Fredion. The ship was refurbished in 1989.

The ship has sleeping accommodation for 20

Ship Summary
Built by: Capello NV, Zwartsluis, the Netherlands
Date Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 68
Length: 40 m (overall length)
Width: 5 m
Passengers: 20
Crew: 5

Central African Republic


For the 700th Anniversary of Frankfurt on the Oder. East Germany used one stamp of 20 Pf which shows us the old town of Frankfurt on the Oder seen from the Löweninsel (Lionisland).
In the foreground is an Oder kahn, (barge) which is the general name of a small flat bottomed uncovered watercraft, which is used on inland waterways and protected waters.

The name kahn is one of the oldest documented boat names on the Baltic coast.
The depicted kahn is a one masted vessel which was used on the Oder river first built of wood later of iron. She were used on the river to transport coal to Berlin and Stettin and iron ore to Kosel.
Outboard rudder and on the stamp she has a deckhouse on the stern. The sailing kahns were fitted with leeboards.
The larger type of vessel was decked. The sailing type were used into the 1930.
Crew 2 – 4.
The vessel depict was ca. 46m. long, 5.6m. beam and had side height of 1.9m., loading capacity about 250 ton.

Source: Navicula. Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
East Germany 1953 20 Pf. sg E118, scott 403.


In 1978 Gabon issued one stamp for the Port of D’Owendo, with alongside the quay two general cargo vessels, with a lot of deck cargo under which it looks some containers, it were not real container vessels as given by Stanley Gibbons. Of the two vessels I have not any information and so far I known she are not yet identified.

Owendo is a port city in Gabon, forming a south western suburb of Libreville. It lies at the western end of the Trans-Gabon Railway, and was officially opened in 1988. But the port was already in use when the first section of the Trans Gabon Railway was opened between Owendo and Ndjolé in 1978 when the stamp was issued.

Source: wikipedia.
Gabon 1978 50F sg 650, scott 403.


The stamp shows us a Cubanian coastguard vessel with pennant No 081 of which I have not any details, more info welcome.
The inscription on the stamp gives: "Detachment Looking at the Sea".


For the 35th Anniversary of the DDR (1949-1984) the East German Post issued three stamps of which the 20p has a maritime theme, it shows us a navy ship of the East Germany Volksmarine what is given by Navicula that she is one of the Kondor II class minesweepers.

Project 89 Kondor Minesweeper, also known as the Kondor class, was a class of minesweepers designed in the German Democratic Republic which was given the NATO designation of "Condor" There were 3 versions, namely, the prototype unit, Project 89.0; the first version, Project 89.1 (NATO designation: Condor I); and the second version, Project 89.2 (NATO designation: Condor II).
The class depict on the stamp was built as Project 89.2 as minesweepers on the Peenewerft in Wolgast, East Germany between 1971 and 1973 for the Volksmarine of the DDR.
The first built was the WOLGAST and commissioned in 1971, in total 30 were built of this class. After Germany was united most were sold to a foreign country, there are still 12 in active service in 2018.
Displacement 449 ton, dim. 56.7 x 7.76 x 2.22m. (draught).
Powered by two MD 40 diesel engines each 2,490 hp, twin shafts, speed 18 kn.
Range 1,900 mile
Armament: 3 – 25mm Flak 2M-3 (AA) carried 24 mines or 24 depth charges.
Crew 30.

The WOLGAST was commissioned 20 May 1971in the Volksmarine, sold to Indonesia in 1990 and still in service by the Indonesian Navy.

Source: Wikipedia and various other web-sites.
East German 1984 20p sg?, scott2429.


East Germany issued in 1983 four stamps for the “World Communication Year1983” of which two stamps have a maritime theme.

The 10p depict the radio station Rugen on Rugen Island in the Baltic, with in the distance stylized ships. The nearest is a cargo vessel (coaster) with two holds, the vessel to the right is also a cargo vessel with four holds, while the vessel on the left looks like a supply vessel but a supply vessel has no masts on the aft-deck, it can also be a small ro-ro vessel.

The 20p shows also a stylized four hold cargo vessel.

East Germany 1983 10p and 20p sg E2488 and E2489, scott 2220/21


The full index of our ship stamp archive


Postby shipstamps » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:58 pm

Click image to view full size
This wooden side-paddle steamer was built by a certain Noah Brown from New York City at Black Rock (near Buffalo) N.Y. for account of James R Stuart from Albany N.Y. and Robert McQueen from New York and others, who founded the Lake Erie Steamboat Company.
May 1818 launched under the name WALK IN THE WATER the name was given to her by the Indians.
Tonnage 338 gross, dim. 135 x 32 x 8.3ft.
The steam engine to power her was of the low-pressure system, and manufactured by Robert McQueen one of the shareholders in the company. Robert Fulton installed the engine.
The engine was transported from New York by boat to Albany, then by horse and wagon to Buffalo; the transport took more as 15 days.
All materials of the boiler were send to Black Rock where near the building yard of the ship the boiler was built. The boiler was made of copper, with a length of 24 feet and a diameter of 9 feet.
The engineer on board the ship was James Calhoun from New York City.
Two masts and brig rigged. Carried a figure-head of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry.
While the steam whistle had not been invented she carried a small canon on her foredeck to give signals.
Passenger accommodation for 29 passengers was below deck.
1818 Completed.

She was the first steamboat on Lake Erie, and built for the passenger service between Buffalo and Detroit.
20 (23) August 1818 she left for her maiden voyage from Buffalo under command of Capt. Job Fish, after making stops in Cleveland and Erie she arrived at Detroit on 26 August.
Mostly making the trip in about 36 till 40 hours.
As fuel she used wood, she used about 36 till 40 cord wood on this voyages. One cord wood is 128 cubic feet or 3.5 cubic meters.
Passenger fare was for the first class 24 Dollar between Buffalo and Detroit.
In the strong rapids between Buffalo and Black Rock over a distance of 2.5 mile, her engine did not have enough power and she needed 8 pair of oxen to pass this rapids.

She was kept in this service until the ice closed navigation, and during this time she was laid up.
June 1820 she made a voyage from Detroit to Mackinac Island through Lake Huron, where she landed some passengers and a detachment of U.S. soldiers.
August 1820 she made an other trip to Mackinac and from there proceeded to Green Bay on Lake Michigan, it was the first pleasure cruise in history by a steamboat.

31 October 1821 in the afternoon she sailed from Buffalo for Cleveland with some passengers and cargo, in the evening she ran in a gale, by the working of the ship she began to leak. She turned around and steamed back to Buffalo, but she did not make much headway against the strong wind. She dropped her anchors, but after a while one of the anchor cables broke and then she started to drag the other anchor and drifted on the beach at Point Abino south of Buffalo harbor entrance. All on board were rescued, and when the weather had improved, her furniture, equipment and engine were later salvaged.

Her engine was in 1822 built in the SUPERIOR, which replaced the lost WALK IN THE WATE, later placed in a lumber mill at Saginaw.

On USA 1989 25c sg 2393

Source, some notes in made in Galveston Library from a book on old steamships in the USA, lost the source. ... _water.htm
Site Admin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm


Postby aukepalmhof » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:35 pm

2017 walk in the water.jpg
Click image to view full size
Marshall Islands 2017 49c sg?, scott?
Posts: 5556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 54 guests