MACKINAW USCGC icebreaker-buoy-tender

Built as a icebreaker-buoy-tender under yard no 601 by Marinette Marine Corporation (MMC), Marinette, USA for the USA Coastguard.

Laid down: February 09, 2004.
Launched: April 2, 2005 under the name USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30), the name Mackinaw has its roots in the ancient Native American language of the Great Lakes. Specifically, it is derived from the word Michilimackinac in the Ojibwa language, meaning "Island of the Great Turtle." Both Mackinaw (the English derivation) and Mackinac (the French derivation where "ac" is pronounced "aw") are derived from this word and pronounced Mak'ino.
Displacement 3,500 ton, dim. 73 x 17.8 x 4.9m. (draught), length bpp. 69.9m.
The ship is powered by 3 Caterpillar Turbocharged V-12 engines that drive 2 ABB electric propulsion drives that deliver a combined 9,200 horsepower. They are Caterpillar 3612 engines, turning Kato Generators. Mackinaw has 3 MDG’s. Each producing about 3.5 Megawatts of electric power. Mackinaw has an integrated electric plant. This means that the main generators provide electric power for both propulsion (ABB Azipods) and ship’s electric services (everything else). Speed 16 knots.
Crew 9 officers and 46 enlisted.
Commissioned: June 10, 2006, Homeport: Cheboygan, Michigan IMO No 9271054.

WLBB: The W preceding the number of all Coast Guard ships since World War II signifies them as Coast Guard vessels. WLB is the Coast Guard’s designation for seagoing buoy-tenders. The L stands for load-bearing working boat, and the B specifies its size category (big). The LB designates this vessel as a big buoy-tender, and the last B stands for icebreaker.

USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30) is a 240-foot (73 m) vessel built as a heavy icebreaker for operations on the North American Great Lakes for the United States Coast Guard. IMO number: 9271054. She should not be confused with a namesake ship, the USCGC MACKINAW (WAGB-83), IMO number 6119534, which was decommissioned on June 10, 2006.
MACKINAW was delivered to the Coast Guard on November 18, 2005 and commissioned on June 10, 2006. In addition to her ice-breaking duties, the MACKINAW will also serve as an Aids to Navigation ship, able to perform the same duties as the Seagoing Buoy Tenders (WLB) of the Coast Guard fleet. Further, she can conduct law enforcement and search and rescue missions and can deploy an oil skimming system to respond to oil spill situations and environmental response. One of the MACKINAW's unique features in the US Coast Guard fleet is the use of two Azipod units, ABB's brand of electric azimuth thrusters, for her main propulsion. These, coupled with a 550 hp (410 kW) bow thruster, make the ship exceptionally maneuverable. The Azipod units also remove the need for a traditional rudder, as the thrusters can turn 360 degrees around their vertical axis to direct their thrust in any direction. The MACKINAW also lacks a traditional ship's steering wheel. Much of the ship’s technology, including the Azipod thrusters, is from Finnish Maritime Cluster. Additionally, the MACKINAW can continuously proceed through fresh water ice up to 32 inches (81 cm) thick at 3 knots or 14 inches (36 cm) at 10 knots. She can also break smooth, continuous ice up to 42 inches (107 cm) thick through ramming.

The MACKINAW got off to a rocky start before being commissioned. While en-route to her new home port of Cheboygan, Michigan, the MACKINAW struck a seawall in Grand Haven, Michigan on December 12, 2005. The accident caused a 10-foot (3.0 m) dent in the bow of the MACKINAW on her starboard side. Shortly after the accident, Captain Donald Triner, the commanding officer of the MACKINAW, was temporarily relieved of duty pending an investigation into the accident. The accident did not delay the ship's scheduled arrival in her new home port; she arrived on December 17, 2005. Captain Triner was later permanently relieved of duty and replaced by Captain Michael Hudson, who was replaced in turn by Commander John Little in April 2006. CDR Scott J. Smith assumed command in July 2008 and was relieved by CDR Michael J. Davanzo in Aug, 2011. In June 2014, CDR Vasilios Tasikas assumed command. In June 2017, CDR John Stone assumed command. The MACKINAW is stationed at Cheboygan, Michigan. It can be seen and toured at Grand Haven's Coast Guard Festival every summer. The ship was also featured on the television series Modern Marvels. Katmai Bay, stationed at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, helps the USCGC MACKINAW (WLBB-30) in ice breaking duties.
2019 In service.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Mackinaw_(WLBB-30) en internet.
Guinea 2018 50000 FG sgMS?, scott?

In the margin you see a freefall lifeboat and a helicopter picking up survivors. I have been sailing on ships fitted with a freefall lifeboat and in my eyes she are the best system for a lifeboat to get safely and very quickly of a vessel.

Wikipedia gives for the freefall lifeboat:
Some ships have a freefall lifeboat stored on a downward sloping slipway normally on the stern of the vessel. These freefall lifeboats drop into the water when the holdback is released. Such lifeboats are considerably heavier as they are strongly constructed to survive the impact with water. Freefall lifeboats are used for their capability to launch nearly instantly, and high reliability in any conditions. Since 2006 they have been required on bulk carriers that are in danger of sinking too rapidly for conventional lifeboats to be released. Seagoing oil rigs are also customarily equipped with this type of lifeboat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeboat_(shipboard)
$post_attachment_names[$j]

HUNTER

The full index of our ship stamp archive

HUNTER

Postby shipstamps » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:55 pm


Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size
John Fearn was captain of the British trading vessel HUNTER, which sailed from New South Wales, Australia to the Hawaii Islands in 1798.
When in latitude 22 40S and approximately 171 50E he came upon an uncharted island which he named Hunter Island. Its is situated to the East of New Caledonia, a peak in the Hunter Island underwater ridge, and is administered by New Caledonia.
Proceeding North, Fearn sighted an inhabitant island to the west of the Gilbert group, (just south of the Equator), which he called Pleasant Island, it retained its name until 1888, when it was annexed by Germany and reverted to its native name Nauru.. On his return Fearn gave details of Eniwetok, which had been discovered in early days by the Spanish, but was imperfectly known.

John Fearn is sometimes confused with another John Fearn (1768-1837) a captain in the Royal navy, who retired from service to devote himself to philosophy, the discoverer of Nauru, however was not in command of a navy ship but of a modest snow.

The HUNTER was a snow/barque of 300 tons, owned by Campbell & Clarke, with an armament of 8 guns and a crew of 50/54.
She was built in Batavia, Dutch East Indies, and most probably registered at Calcutta.
She arrived under command of Capt. Fearn (the source gives Fern) in Sydney on 10 January (or June) 1796 from Calcutta with an assortment Indian goods, cows and horses.
20 August she sailed from Sydney for the River Thames, New Zealand to load spars for Bengal.

Robert Campbell the manager of Campbell & Clarke was a Scottish merchant. This company sent the SYDNEY COVE with relief supplies for Port Jackson settlement in 1796, but she was wrecked on Preservation Island.
Campbell came to New South Wales to investigate the loss of the vessel. During his visit he founded the firm of Campbell & Co. For his loss of the SYDNEY COVE in January 1825 he accepted 4.000 acres of land in the Limestone Plains area of Argyle County as part compensation for the loss of the vessel.

13 February 1800 the HUNTER arrived again in Sydney from Calcutta under command of Capt. Wm. Anderson, sailed on 14 April 1800 for N.I.Amboyna/Bengal. The owner is then given as Campbell & Co.
08 June 1800 arrived again in Sydney from Norfolk Island with on board Maj. Foveaux Det. NSW Corps, convicts and stores.
27/29 June sailed for NI E. Indies; she is then given as barque rigged.
30/31 August 1800 arrived Sydney from Bengal with general merchandise under Capt. Anderson, given as 300 ton, armament 8 guns, crew 50/54 men, owner Campbell & Co., built given as Batavia.
16 April 1809 from India at the Derwent, were she discharged 252 head of cattle, sailed on 23 May.
The she disappears from my sources.

(The vessel depicts shows us a ship of that time, not any painting of drawing exist of the HUNTER, also Captain Fearn in naval uniform must be an imaginary of the designer.)

On Nauru Island: 1974 35c and 50c sg 120/21 and 1998 $1.50 sg 493.

Sources Who’s Who in Pacific Navigation by John Dunmore. Shipping Arrivals & departures in Sydney and Australia.
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 67 guests

cron