Tiare Taporo

The full index of our ship stamp archive
shipstamps

Tiare Taporo

Post by shipstamps » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:54 pm

The Tiare Taporo has a gross tonnage of 173 and a net of 137 tons and was built by C. Bailey, Jnr. at Auckland, New Zealand. Her owners were A. B. Donald, Ltd. and she is registered at Suva. A wooden auxiliary schooner, her machinery, which is aft, consists of a 4-cylinder oil engine built by the Atlas Imperial Diesel Engine Company, of Oakland, California and giving a speed of 7 knots. The schooner's dimensions are: length (overall) 90 ft., beam 23 4 in. and draft 7 ft.
Mr. A. B. Donald had the Tiare Taporo built by a master shipwright, Charles Bayley, Jr., of Auckland, who was considered one of the foremost shipbuilders in New Zealand. She was built of the very best Kauri, her frames were natural bent Pohutkava and her deck beams and main hatch coaming were Iron.
She has a beautiful Kauri stick for a bowsprit, but her main, fore and topmasts are Oregon pine.
Launched in 1913 she was christened Tiare Taporo (the Lime Flower). You'll see in the photograph she carries Donald's house-flag, which has a red border, white centre and blue lettering A B D L. On the main she is flying the French ensign, which is natural, as she was built for trading in French Oceania; that is, for trading in the Society, Tuamotu and the Marquesa group. She is fitted out with a trade room, a master's cabin, a main cabin seating eight at the table, with two bunks on each side. The main cabin is light and airy with a large skylight running nearly the length of the cabin: there is also a cabin for the mate. She was captained at the time by Capt. Joe Winchester, an Englishman who had arrived in Tahiti as a young man, married there and became a French citizen. The Tiare Taporo made a record run from Auckland to Tahiti in 11 days and 7 hours.
In the latter part of the First World War, the Donalds withdrew the Tiare Taporo from Tahiti and had her running to San Francisco from the Cook Islands with copra, returning to Auckland with petrol. She was under the British flag on that run. During 1919 she was permanently stationed in the Cook Islands, doing an annual trip to Tahiti for repairs and overhaul. She also did a few trips to Auckland during that time, owing to the Tahiti slip not being available. This routine was kept up until 1949 when she was again transferred to Tahiti and put under the French flag going back to her old run to the Marquesas and the Tuamotus, out of Papeete.
When old man Donald started his business in Tahiti, the Royal Navy obtained its lime juice from St. Vincent and St. Lucia in the British West Indies. Both these islands were struck by one of those hurricanes that blows islands off the map. The lime crop was destroyed and Donald obtained the contract for supplying the Navy with lime juice. As a result of the great quantities of limes he bought, he became known among Tahitians as the 'Lime Man'—in Tahitian `Taporo Tane'.
The Tahitians have a way of naming their vessels with the prefix 'flower', in Tahitian `Tiare', It is said that Donald was almost beating his brains out trying to find a suitable name for his new schooner, but one day he had it. He stormed into his office in Auckland and shouted, 'The new boat will be called Tiare Taporo.' I always like to think that Donald's sudden inspiration was brought on sharply after he had been indulging in a couple of rum punches, flavoured by Tahiti limes—he was that sort of person.
SG173 Sea Breezes 9/63, 11/63, 10/64 Photo of vessel supplied by Joy (Australia)

john sefton

Re: Tiare Taporo

Post by john sefton » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:11 pm

Comment:
I asked Donalds in Papeete for a job.
While sailing to New Zealand from Tahiti in 1965, I met with Cap. Thomson in Rarotonga.This was about one month after the Yankee went aground.
Thank you Lance.
Author : Lance Melbourne E-mail : coralsea@mail2ship.com

aukepalmhof

Post by aukepalmhof » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:11 am

The TIARE TAPORO wrecked on 4 March 1969 at Aneityum in Vanuata when at anchor she was blown ashore and becoming a total loss.

French Polynesia 1977 50f sg263, scott158
Attachments
Polynesia296.jpg

tiaretaporo

Post by tiaretaporo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:47 am

I am a great grandson of Alexander Bell Donald for whom the schooner "Tiare Taporo" was built in Auckland in 1913. In the early years Capt. J. Winchester - her 1st. master - was a 50% owner with A.B. Donald. Later Donald bought his share.
I own a classic Gauntlet cutter rigged sloop (38' on deck) and have named her "Tiare Taporo III". My partner Jean and I live on her and we are currently in Cairns Queensland on our way to Malaysia via Darwin.
My Tiare was built in Wellington NZ of heart NZ Kauri (carvel built) and was launched in 1979 after having had the keel laid in 1947 - a total build time of 32 years.
The original Tiare was a very well known vessel in the Cooks and Societies and had many adventures in her lifetime. Her best known master was no doubt Capt. Andy Thomson, an American who made his home on Rarotonga, Cook Is.
If anyone wishes to contact me direct ny email is tiare_taporo@yahoo.co.nz
Cheers,
Jim Donald

D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen

Post by D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Mon May 27, 2019 7:27 pm

Cook Islands 1966, 5/- StG.191, no.173 overprinted: Airmail and aircraft
Attachments
tiare taporo 66.png