Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.


The stamp shows in the background a “trireme” : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12113&p=16176&hilit=trireme#!lightbox[gallery]/5/

The Bosnia& Herzegovina Post gives the following by the stamp, most is about the Iris and noting about the depicted vessel.

About Myths and Flora 2007 - The Illyrian Iris in Myths

Perunika (Iris) was named after Perun – Slavic God of Thunder. Legend says that perunika would overgrow in the place that was touched by Perun’s lightning.
Many species of Iris grows in Herzegovina and Dalmatia: Iris illyrica, iris croatica, and Iris pseudopallida. Many antiques writers, such as Teofrast, Nicander and Plinius, mention it.

The root of perunika was used in medicine and in agriculture, but its biggest value was in perfumery. According to the Plinius, the odour of perunika was produced only by Greek cities such as Corint, who led in perfume manufacturing and exported it all over the Mediterranean, and Kizik. Hereof testimony many ceramic pots for perfumes – alabastron and aryballos. In the first fase, the perfume was in liquidity, but Corinthians were started to produce fixed perfume (Greek stymma, something like today’s cream). It was more economical for transport and it was prepared for special pots – pikside.
Many pots for perfumes were found in the field of Narona where, in the IV. century B.C, Greeks founded emporium (port) and established market place in the Neretva, on which boats and ships triere – trireme, were sailing.

Plinius Secundus, in his encyclopedia Naturalis historis writes: “Iris laudatissima in Illyrico, et ibi quoque non in maritimis, sed in silvestribus Drilonis et Naronae”. (Perunika from Illyrica is very praised, not those along the shore, but those in the woods along Drim and Neretva).

Bosnia& Herzegovina 2007 3.00KM sg?, scott?


The stamp issued in 1993 by St Pierre et Miquelon shows the people leaving by most probably fishing boats St Pierre et Miquelon after the British captured the island on 14 May 1793 and the people living there were deported. In the background of the stamp, the island is visible, and the people in the first boat are looking for the last time to the island.

The people of the island were deported to Magdalen Island in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1993 5f10 sg 698. Scott 591.
Source: Internet

HMS Diana (1794)

HMS Diana was a 38-gun Artois-class fifth rate frigate of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1794. Because Diana served in the Royal Navy's Egyptian campaign between 8 March 1801 and 2 September, her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal that the Admiralty authorized in 1850 to all surviving claimants. Diana participated in an attack on a French frigate squadron anchored at Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue at the Action of 15 November 1810, which ultimately led to the destruction of the Elisa. (Boats from Diana went in and set fire to the beached Eliza despite heavy fire from shore batteries and three nearby armed brigs; the British suffered no casualties.) On 7 March 1815 Diana was sold to the Dutch navy for £36,796. On 27 August 1816 she was one of six Dutch frigates that participated in the bombardment of Algiers. Diana was destroyed in a fire on 16 January 1839 while in dry-dock at Willemsoord, Den Helder. The design stamp is made after painting of Tom Freeman.
Source: Ivory Coast 2018;500f.


35c Walvis Bay Harbour:
This bay is on the west coast of South Africa was marked on Portuguese marine charts as early as 1487. The natural harbour was named Golfo de Santa Maria da Conceicao by Bartolomeu Dias. The Territory of Walvis Bay became a British possession in 1878, and in 1884 it was incorporated into the then Cape Colony.
Walvis Bay was formerly a whaling station. Originally the bay was too shallow for use by Ocean Steamers but it has systemically dredged and the first quay for passengers and cargo vessels was opened in 1927. Walvis Bay is the centre of the important fishing industry on the west coast and also handles the exporting of minerals from Namibia.

55c East London:
East London port is situated in the mouth of the Buffalo River. In 1835 the river was surveyed for a possible harbour for longboats to carry passengers and cargo from the ships on the road to and from the harbour but it came to noting.
1847 A new attempt was made to open a port and this was also not successful.
Only when there where diamonds found in Grqualand there came sufficient money free to start again. In 1872 the first shipments with equipment arrived and after setting up a platform for the cranes the construction was started of the south breakwater.
1875 The first wharf was constructed, 1876 another and in 1877 a third wharf.
1993 The harbour has now 2.6km of quay, and several railway lines connect the port with Transvaal and other regions. The turnover in that year appr. 3 million tons and 26,000 containers a year.
In the foreground is a white hulled cargo vessel visible, most probably a reefer vessel.

70c Port Elizabeth: On 12 March 1488 Bartolomeu Dias became the first recorded Occidental to call at Bahia de Lagos as he named the bay now known as Algoa Bay. As a seaport, however, the town of Port Elizabeth owns it origin to the British settlers of 1820. After their arrival, the need for a customs post arose. In 1825 the bay was given port status with the appointment of a port master, and a year later a collector was appointed. Today, Port Elizabeth is the fifth largest cargo-handling port in South Africa. The port has more as 3,400m of quayage and a container terminal with two berths. Recently a large container-handling terminal for imported motor vehicle components was developed.

90c Cape Town Harbour: Table Bay has been used as a landing place by passing ships ever since Bartolemeu Dias rounded the Cape of Good Hope in 1488. The port grew from the refreshment station founded by Jan van Riebeeck in April 1652 for ships of the Dutch East India Company. In 1656 work was started on a wooden jetty to facilitate the landing of small boats. During World War II, Cape Town handled more than 400 convoys, saw 13,000 ships repaired, and took in about 6 million soldiers. During the Suez crises in 1973, the port handled an enormous amount of shipping. Today (1993) Cape Town handled some 4.5 million of cargo annually. There are sophisticated container handling facilities as well as two dry-docks and extensive service facilities.

Durban Harbour: In 1823 the brig SALISBURY viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10957&p=11622&hilit=salisbury#p11622 sheltered in a bay on the Natal coast during a sudden storm. Impressed by the potential of the bay, Lieutenants King and Farewell obtained a concession for a trading store on the waterfront. Thus began the history of South Africa’s busiest port. Today over 500.000 containers are handled at the container terminal annually, the largest in Africa. A large passenger terminal also provides for the needs of ocean travellers.

Source: South Africa Post and internet.
South Africa 1993 35c/R1.05 sg 772/76, scott 844/48

The Battle of “Soleil Royal” and “Britannia” in 1692

The scene in this painting depicts Soleil Royal and Britannia exchanging fire during the Battle of Barfleur in 1692. Lead by Adm. Tourvilles and sorely outnumbered, the French fleet, purportedly under order from King Louis XIV, attacked the Allied fleet, which consisted of Dutch and British ships. The battle was fierce, and in the end, the French, overwhelmed, were forced to flee, splitting into two groups. Soleil Royal, the flagship of Adm. Tourvilles, along with eleven other French ships were pressed by the Allied fleet and driven ashore at Cape La Hougue. The Allied fleet brought up their fire ships and destroyed Soleil Royal along with the other eleven French ships in the surf off la Hougue. The remainder of the French fleet, caught in the famous tidal race of Alderney, were swept to the west where they took refuge in various creeks, some driven ashore. The design stamp is made after painting of James A Flood.

Source: Ivory Coast 2018;2170f.


For the 20th Anniversary of the Algerian Coast Guard service, Algeria issued one stamp which shows a patrol boat of the Coast Guard at that time.

In 1993 only one type was in use, the Kebir-class which were replaced in 1994 by a Chinese type patrol boat.

The first three were built in the U.K. the others in Algeria. The first was built in 1982 the last in?
Displacement 250 tons, dim. 37.5 x 6.86 x 1.78m.
Powered by two diesel engines, 6,000 bhp., twin shafts, speed 27 knots.
Armament 1 – 25mm AA gun and 2 – 14.5mm MG.
Crew 27.
So far I can find 6 were in the service of the Coast Guard, the others by the Algerian Navy.

Source: Internet various sites.
Algeria 1993 2.00D sg 1123, scott?

Atrato I

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Atrato I

Postby shipstamps » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:08 pm

Click image to view full size
First and most important of five ships launched for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company during 1853-4, the Atrato was also the first iron ship built for the company and was remarkable for the fact that her size was determined by a set of engines built for another ship, the Demerera of 1851. They were never installed, but left in the workshops of Caird and Company, of Greenock. The Atrato was given the same breadth as the Demerera so that she could take the engines intended for that ship.
Unfortunately for the Royal Mail Company, the boilers intended for the Demerera, also lying unused, had become out of date, so the Atrato was given a new boiler installation of considerably higher steam pressure. The iron ship was also considerably larger than any of her wooden contemporaries, measuring 350 ft. overall and vastly superior to them in every way.
The Atrato had four decks, her spar deck being flush from stem to stern in accordance with her owners' usual practice. Nine pieces of iron formed the keel, and the stem and stern posts were cast in one piece, a revolutionary process in those days and a real masterpiece of engineering. The hull was divided into seven watertight compartments by strong iron bulkheads. She had a gross tonnage of 3,467, her speed was 14 knots and accommodation was provided for 224 first-class passengers.
Launched by Lady Octavia Shaw on April 26, 1853 from Caird's yard at Greenock, the Atrato was the finest ship in the Royal Mail fleet for some years. Commanded by Capt. F. Woolley, she sailed from Southampton on her maiden voyage to the West Indies on March 17, 1854. She was one of four Royal Mail ships to take part in the Naval Review held at Spithead on St. George's Day, April 23, 1856 as part of the peace celebrations after the Crimean War.
In 1866, after the formation of the Panama, New Zealand and Australian Royal Mail Company to carry mail and passengers from England to the Antipodes, via Panama, with transit across the isthmus by rail, the Atrato took the first sailing from Southampton, with through transit to New Zealand, via Australia, on June 2, 1866. The company proved unsuccessful and suspended operations in 1869 before going into voluntary liquidation,
Another incident in the career of the Atrato occurred on January 24, 1857. While homeward bound from St. Thomas, she fell in with an abandoned full-rigged ship. Her sails were in shreds, masts and rigging lay over her sides, her decks were awash and boats gone. After a boat had been lowered from the Atrato with her chief officer in charge, it was found that the derelict was the Rovers Pride, of St. John, N.B., a vessel of about 1,000 tons. She was left to her fate.
Later the same year the Atrato played a part in another sea drama. As she bore down on a sailing vessel, the Sarah and Dorothy, distress signals were hoisted from this ship. The sailing ship was
running short of rations, having three days earlier taken off the master, two mates, crew and passengers of the American ship Harkaway, which had caught fire and was destroyed after leaving Charleston on August 17, 1857.
This vessel had blazed for two days before being sighted by the Sarah and Dorothy and her whole complement saved. The rescue ship was severely overcrowded and was running short of provisions when the Atrato appeared and gladly relieved her of her burden.
Throughout her career of 17 years under the Royal Mail house-flag the Atrato proved to be a popular and successful ship. However with the advent of screw propulsion, few of the paddlers ran their full time of service and the Atrato was broken up in 1870. Her name was revived in 1888 with the appearance of a steel screw steamer built by R. Napier at Glasgow, which remained in service until 1912.
The stamp, by the way, shows her funnels as red, although at that particular period in the history of the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company the funnels of its ships were black.
In the August issue of Sea Breezes I stated that the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company's paddle steamer Atrato was broken up in 1870, my authority for the statement being the official centenary history of the company. It would seem however that this is not correct. Possibly the author assumed that she was broken up because there were no further records of her in the company's archives or perhaps he intended to say that she was sold out of the company's service in 1870.
A search through the successive editions of Lloyd's Register from the year the paddle steamer was built until she ended her service with the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company reveals no mention of the Arrato. She first appears in the Register in 1872, under the ownership of J. Morrison, of London, and it would seem that she was not classified until then. Morrison sold her in 1879-80 to H. T. Horn, who in turn sold her to Adamson and Ronaldson a year later, when her name was changed to Rochester. According to the 1872 Register her dimensions were 335 ft. 9 ins, by 42 ft. 4 ins, by 31 ft. 9 ins., and her tonnages were: gross 3,184, net 2,051 and underdeck 2,324 tons. She had four decks.
A comparison with the information given by Mr. Bushell in his book shows that he described the Atrato as having four decks and her overall length was increased to 350 ft. This tallies with the dimensions given in 1872, which give registered length as distinct from overall length. The Atrato mentioned in Lloyd's from 1872 onwards was built at Caird and Company's yard, Greenock, in 1853, and it seems obvious that there were not two vessels of the same name built at the same time in the same shipyard.
At some time in her career she was converted from paddle to screw propulsion and Lloyd's show the machinery as built by J. Watt and Company, London. The fact that her engines were changed would account for the difference in gross tonnage, 3,467 as a paddler to 3,184 as a screw steamer.
SG203 Sea Breezes 8/66 and 10/66
Site Admin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Atrato I

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 pm

atrato f.jpg
Click image to view full size
300px-S.S._Atrato.jpg (7.8 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Click image to view full size
On June 25th, 1884, the British passenger/cargo ship ROCHESTER, built in 1853 by J. Caird & Co. and owned by Adamson & Ronaldson, was wrecked on Stag Rock, Spring Bay, Patagonia (?).
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 70 guests